Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

7 hours ago, JorgeA said:

--JorgeA

P.S. I don't know what you count as "mid-tier" pricing, but IMO any laptop whose name begins with "Mac" is automatically disqualified from "mid-tier" consideration.  :)  (Sorry, NoelC. ;) )

However, another IMO any laptop whose name begins with "Mac" gets multi-tier consideration because it just runs Windows software better that PCs and you have a stable OS X software that just runs and you control the updates.  Just functional computing.  If you can afford unstable software, buy a PC, pricing makes no difference.  Sorry, JorgeA but the MacBook runs insider fast track W10 preview better than the Dell laptop.  But both computers run W10.  It's just an interesting journey.

10 hours ago, xman charl said:

This is typical of Microsoft nowadays....

Notice on a recent build of win 10...

Installed office 16 plus.

Open onenote, a yellow bar displays across doc , get office 365 now.

Sure is nice...

Charl

Many of my customers experience problems with 365....but if you think about it in terms of you pay a monthly/yearly subscription for 365 then it isn't so strange that other office products don't work....another typical example is telling users that have Microsoft email accounts they can't continue using Windows Live Mail unless they have Windows 10....everything they do is centred around this crap or the fact that we should have subscriptions for their products!! 

More and more of my older customers (pensioners) are going over to open source products for office such as Libre, Open Office and using Mozilla Thunderbird as their email client if they have Outlook, Hotmail etc instead of being bullied into upgrading to Windows 10.

21 minutes ago, BudwS said:

However, another IMO any laptop whose name begins with "Mac" gets multi-tier consideration because it just runs Windows software better that PCs and you have a stable OS X software that just runs and you control the updates.  Just functional computing.  If you can afford unstable software, buy a PC, pricing makes no difference.  Sorry, JorgeA but the MacBook runs insider fast track W10 preview better than the Dell laptop.  But both computers run W10.  It's just an interesting journey.

"Multi-tier" is not what Formfiller was asking about. He was asking for recommendations for a notebook with mid-tier pricing.

--JorgeA

20 minutes ago, bookie32 said:

Many of my customers experience problems with 365....but if you think about it in terms of you pay a monthly/yearly subscription for 365 then it isn't so strange that other office products don't work....another typical example is telling users that have Microsoft email accounts they can't continue using Windows Live Mail unless they have Windows 10....everything they do is centred around this crap or the fact that we should have subscriptions for their products!! 

More and more of my older customers (pensioners) are going over to open source products for office such as Libre, Open Office and using Mozilla Thunderbird as their email client if they have Outlook, Hotmail etc instead of being bullied into upgrading to Windows 10.

Good for them!! :thumbup

Personally, I recommend Softmaker Office, which is highly compatible with MS Office files -- much more so IMX than LibreOffice. It's not free (although they do offer a Softmaker Free Office version), but it's a lot less expensive than MS Office. Oh, and it doesn't have the stupid Ribbon interface. I've already switched to it on my business laptop and will make it my to-go office suite if 2007 becomes too incompatible to get work done.

--JorgeA

36 minutes ago, JorgeA said:

Good for them!! :thumbup

Personally, I recommend Softmaker Office, which is highly compatible with MS Office files -- much more so IMX than LibreOffice. It's not free (although they do offer a Softmaker Free Office version), but it's a lot less expensive than MS Office. Oh, and it doesn't have the stupid Ribbon interface. I've already switched to it on my business laptop and will make it my to-go office suite if 2007 becomes too incompatible to get work done.

--JorgeA

Thanks a lot for the info...I will take a look and if they have language support for Swedish - then it would be something I can recommend to my customers as an alternative!

bookie32

On 24.10.2016 at 11:51 PM, JorgeA said:

When did you last visit?

Three months ago.

About the notebooks: Do Intel core i-6000 CPUs work without a fuss with Windows 8.1, still? I remember Microsoft's fear mongering that they would stop support for newer processors on 7 and 8.

I am a bit out of the loop, because the last months I haven't dabbled in all this at all.

3 minutes ago, Formfiller said:

Three months ago.

About the notebooks: Do Intel core i-6000 CPUs work without a fuss with Windows 8.1, still? I remember Microsoft's fear mongering that they would stop support for newer processors on 7 and 8.

I am a bit out of the loop, because the last months I haven't dabbled in all this at all.

Yes, they work. I'm currently using a i7 6700K on Windows 8.1 without any issues, no crashs. Even USB 3.1 works great on Windows 8.1 so I don't see any problem here.
For the support, they went back and now they say it's for Kaby Lake (ix-7xxx) but since I have chosen to not updating my systems if it's not really needed (who can trust the new ms ?) it's not really a problem.

2 hours ago, Formfiller said:

Three months ago.

I second what MTDirector said. A few months back, Microsoft backtracked on the decision to stop supporting Windows 7 on Skylake next year. Now they will keep supporting Win7 on Skylake until the general Win7 EOS in 2020. I think it also means that Win8.1 will be supported on Skylake until 2023 as one would have expected.

But neither Win7 nor 8.1 will be supported on more recent processors such as Kaby Lake. However, it's unclear at this point whether that means that 7 and 8.1 won't run at all; the linked article has some interesting point-counterpoint on that subject.

Note, though, the following clarification at the very end of the article:

Microsoft's support strategy applies to the use of the chips within Windows PCs, not Linux or Apple Macs.

This will be interesting to Linux and Apple fans, and could become another argument for switching to one of those platforms instead of Windows 10.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA
addition

For Kaby Lake and Zen, it's still x86 cpus so Windows 7 and 8 will work but will not support new features and we may have problem to find drivers but they will work.

Time will tell for drivers ;)

PS : I can't imagine that hardware manufacturer will stop supporting more than a half of their customers, just OEM will follow MS statements so, if you built your own PC you will probaly find drivers. Like I said, we will see when Kaby Lake and Zen will be on the market.

Edited by MTDirector

12 hours ago, JorgeA said:

I second what MTDirector said. A few months back, Microsoft backtracked on the decision to stop supporting Windows 7 on Skylake next year. Now they will keep supporting Win7 on Skylake until the general Win7 EOS in 2020. I think it also means that Win8.1 will be supported on Skylake until 2023 as one would have expected.

But neither Win7 nor 8.1 will be supported on more recent processors such as Kaby Lake. However, it's unclear at this point whether that means that 7 and 8.1 won't run at all; the linked article has some interesting point-counterpoint on that subject.

Note, though, the following clarification at the very end of the article:

This will be interesting to Linux and Apple fans, and could become another argument for switching to one of those platforms instead of Windows 10.

--JorgeA

I didn't need another argument for switching....but that is a nice one....;) Windows 10 will never be installed on any of my computers and I have several....

Yet another example of Microsoft cutting off their nose to spite their face....It would be nicest present an old git like me could see...Microsoft gone bankrupt because of stupidity...

It wont be the first time major companies have taken the wrong turns and ended up dead in the water....

I know....I am dreaming out loud...;)

bookie32

Edited by bookie32

A small UI improvement in the latest version (14393.651) -- the File Explorer back and forward arrows are much easier to see now:

New Explorer arrows.png

And the arrows get highlighted when there is something that can be done with them (see at left, below):

Back arrow highlighted.png

A nice little improvement. The thin arrows surrounded by a sea of white were a distinct annoyance.

I don't remember seeing these improved arrows before. Maybe somebody will enlighten me on that.  :)

--JorgeA