Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

I think there needs to be some re-wording, of the "privacy" industry as a whole. Microsoft is not protecting your privacy because it is viewing and saving everything. What they are talking about is to protect against OTHER people or firms from seeing your history. In a real world situation, it would be relatable to an agreement with a security company... say you have your home set up with cameras in every room (including the bathroom and under your covers), the security monitoring company would say it would not share your data with other people. But truly, there is no privacy in that situation.

1 hour ago, Tripredacus said:

I think there needs to be some re-wording, of the "privacy" industry as a whole. Microsoft is not protecting your privacy because it is viewing and saving everything. What they are talking about is to protect against OTHER people or firms from seeing your history. In a real world situation, it would be relatable to an agreement with a security company... say you have your home set up with cameras in every room (including the bathroom and under your covers), the security monitoring company would say it would not share your data with other people. But truly, there is no privacy in that situation.

Coincidentally, right now there are two rather serious scandals over here in Italy, one which is making the headlines about a couple of people snooping on members of the parliament/VIPs emails and other electronic contacts, and one with a much lower impact, but actually IMHO much more serious, about the Justice department "discovering" that (lawful) interceptions that were technically implemented (recorded and stored) by (authorized) private contractors were accessible remotely  - besides by the Court/Prosecution Offices - by the contractors themselves :w00t: (and that some of these contractors may have actually peeked in them ).

Of course we have an Italian saying for that, "segreto di Pulcinella":

http://www.wordreference.com/iten/segreto di Pulcinella

anyone with more than 2 neurons AND a very-very basic IT background would have suspected that, just like your security monitoring company example.

jaclaz

The Windows 10 insider 15007 has a new Setting parameter, "Holographic."  Is this a new age of technology or have I just missed "Holographic" technology?  This one seems to be VR related.

Actually, not VR, but AR (Augmented reality). Microsoft is most probably preparing to provide Hololens to the public.

https://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-hololens/en-us

As for me, it makes much more sense that VR. Instead of something that seems to be useful only for entertainment, AR in this meaning can provide a value for different sort of professionals. That's just my 2 cents.

Are there any truly Holgraphic interfaces around yet? A 3 dimensional image with input, output and communication capabilities?  Intelligence, artificial or otherwise, would be nice, too.  In another life it was there or was that just Star Ship Enterprise?

High expectations?  Maybe not when comparing an iPhone 7 Plus to the GE 400 mainframe computer of 1969 or the IBM 7090 mainframe of the same vintage.

No real interface that I am aware of. At least, not in the physical sense like we see in movies. Hololens can do things like that, but the visual is only inside the headset, although that video can be output... since that is how they demonstrated it live. It is still not something that exists in the real world space, that anyone can see.

Well, there are still ones hiding on old FDDs and CDs, or on some obscure download sites. I'm curious how pre-NT windows will behave, while attacked by some of the most popular ransomwares (Locky, Cryptolocker, CTB-locker, Cerber, Petya or sth like that).

... meanwhile in Redmond ...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/01/19/windows_10_bug_undercuts_ipv6_rollout/

A bug in Windows 10 is undermining Microsoft's efforts to roll out an IPv6-only network at its Seattle headquarters.

According to Redmond's principal network engineer Marcus Keane, the software giant is struggling to move over to the decade-old networking technology due to a DHCPv6 bug in Windows 10, which made it "impossible" to expand its planned corporate network. "We have reported it to the product group, and they are duly working on a fix," he revealed today

The actual blog post:

https://blog.apnic.net/2017/01/19/ipv6-only-at-microsoft/

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz