Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

Well, some interesting (but bad) news, goodbye System install logs 

http://az4n6.blogspot.it/2017/02/when-windows-lies.html

THIS SITE EDITOR PUT EVERYTHING INSIDE THE QUOTE.  MY REPLY FOLLOWS:

So that user had Windows "Anniversary" install itself and reset all his logs.  That's not a terribly big surprise.  The "in-place" upgrade is a pretty significant installation, not just an update - even though Microsoft delivers it through Windows Update.  It probably just wouldn't work otherwise.

I think Microsoft listened to the, shall we say, technically challenged users who claim they have to reinstall their OS every 6 months (because they treat their systems like crap) and just made that the way Windows works all the time.  It's ridiculous!

Seems to me it's part of a plan to try to make people think their accumulated data and settings choices are worthless, and for them to learn not to even EXPECT that any data or settings could survive for more than a year.  Without the expectation of continuity, Microsoft can turn a world of users into mindless money machines with ADD who just take whatever Microsoft shovels at them.

-Noel

Edited by dencorso
Moved your reply out of the quote...

Maybe of interest for those using Windows 10 (or maybe not):

https://github.com/NathanCastle/BootShellCredentialProvider

Windows 10 Credential Provider intended to simplify the process of logging directly into alternative shells to Windows Explorer.

Seemingly it allows to use a Linux GUI Shell through the Windows Subsystem for Linux.

jaclaz

Why is it, that website needs to have such a crazy URL to get to that story? And even after I got through the link you posted (I put it in the spoiler), I still had to trim the URL four times to get one that wasn't unnecessarily long. :rolleyes:

But it is along the lines of "information gathering" I think the link you posted goes through a tracking service. And then the resultant link has attributes in it, that the website (dailykos.com in this case) use to track how you got to the site, including some hash value based on something. At least that link I put in your post now shouldn't do that.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems to me like a line has just been crossed :w00t::ph34r:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4012982/discusses-an-issue-in-which-you-receive-a-your-pc-uses-a-processor-tha

"Your PC uses a processor that isn’t supported on this version of Windows" error when you scan or download Windows updates

TL;DR

Just §@ç#ing update to Windows 10!

jaclaz

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 5:49 AM, jaclaz said:

The first thing that comes to mind is:  "That's not a bug, that's a feature!"

It's getting hard to make the case that updates are positive things...  :angel

-Noel