Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

6 hours ago, NoelC said:

UWP File Explorer...  Ugh.

Indeed nothing to be excited about. Maybe it could work as a basic file manager on a phone.

6 hours ago, NoelC said:

The time is approaching when it will either be necessary to abandon all hope of using Win 10 or embrace it for all its unwanted directions (cloud, poor efficiency, never finished).

I wonder what finished version of Win10 would be like.

6 hours ago, NoelC said:

Who would imagine you could replace things with...  lesser things and that could somehow be "acceptable"?

Re-inventing the wheel gone really bad. And you never know what they'll throw out next. Currently, they really hate the Control Panel. What's next?

1 hour ago, xpclient said:

According to this blog post, XTS-AES was added in Microsoft Bob, Version 1511: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/dubaisec/2016/03/04/bitlocker-aes-xts-new-encryption-type/

Right, have to remember about version numbers. The days of counting service packs are gone.

3 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Indeed nothing to be excited about. Maybe it could work as a basic file manager on a phone.

I wonder what finished version of Win10 would be like.

Re-inventing the wheel gone really bad. And you never know what they'll throw out next. Currently, they really hate the Control Panel. What's next?

Right, have to remember about version numbers. The days of counting service packs are gone.

A finished version of Windows 10 would possibly be a version that actually works....:ph34r:

Updated another laptop to CU. After a bit lengthy update process, things seemed fine at first glance, a bit slower at first; for some reason, OneDrive process was eating disk and CPU despite policy being in place that should prevent it from running, fortunately, it hasn't spawned since (one-time setup thing?). Settings for which security related things warnings should show up weren't preserved, and I had to flip a switch for preventing UWP apps from running in the background. If I remember correctly, AU didn't have it, just the switches for individual apps.

Now here comes the strangest thing, that either carried over the upgrade process or was introduced by it. The damned thing for some reason refuses to let user move any icon on the desktop to the bottom-left corner, anything placed there gets moved 2 places to the right. Haven't dealt with icon layout problems in a long time, looks like they can still occur.

I cleared Bags and BagMRU keys in registry, but the problem persists. What's funny, I once managed to get one of the icons to stick there for a while with the help of Sort by command, it even survived exiting the shell by holding SHIFT + CTRL, right-clicking the taskbar and selecting Exit Explorer. It didn't survive exiting Explorer for the second time.

I've been having some trouble moving icons around on the latest Win 10 desktop.  If I try to put one near another one it often jumps away.

I think chimps are now programming at Microsoft.

-Noel

On 2017-07-09 at 10:22 AM, bookie32 said:

I point blank refuse to try and fix these issues on computers that don't have support for Windows 10 from the manufacturer...

One guy recently came with such a computer and had bought a separate keyboard for his laptop instead of asking himself why the laptop keyboard had stopped working....go figure...:P

Well, a little update on this...

I always am quite clear about telling my customers that have a computer upgraded from a previous version of Windows to Windows 10...without the support of the manufacture...that this will only get worse as time goes by because Windows replaces drivers with those it thinks you should have just like all the so called software that people tend to try that basically ***** up your computer...

The above customer came to me again with the creators update stuck on download and problems getting it installed or downloading....does this sound familiar...:ph34r:...he was also getting problems connecting to the Internet and his broadband supplier said it must be a Virus in the computer causing the issues because they were'nt  experiencing problems from their side.....

I have had loads of problems with the different broadband suppliers here in Sweden....if I don't find any problems in the computer with virus/malware etc or that while the computer is on test in my workshop the network connection never misses a beat...then most often it is the broadband suppliers router or other mechanical problems...and when I ring from the customers to the broadband supplier I get someone with either a competence level of 1-5 (my grading) 1 being someone that is good at his job and can see the problem.... or 5 just a plain so called support id***....

Of course it is the customer that gets the raw end of the deal trying to get money out of a supplier for my time...

Anyway...rambling on here...the broadband supplier support person had mentioned Virus but hadn't asked what version of Windows was installed...or whether it was an upgrade from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 without support from the manufacturer...but you can't expect them to ask all the right questions especially with the level of competence the guy or girl my customer had on the line when ringing for help:D

The customer came to me and I found no Virus or Malware in the computer that would be causing any problems with the Internet....that is if we don't assume that Windows 10 is a Virus:ph34r: All computers that have been in my workshop have a network profile for my router and the computer connected without problems and installed the creator's update without any problems....that I noticed while on test.....

I checked the network and removed the old profiles and everything seemed OK.....BUT not forgetting my warning to the customer about Windows 10....I even said about the problems with the creators update......

Well, the customer went home and everything seemed OK...but then the computer started to go slower and then freeze without mouse or keyboard working....even the external one....

From reading numerous threads about the Creator's Edition causing such problems....I reminded my customer about the warning I gave before I first looked at the computer the first time....now he is coming on Monday and is going to decide whether to scrap the computer or I reset it to Windows 7!!

So, the moral of this long story is .....I will keep to my comments written before about fixing Windows 10 crap on computers not supported by the manufacturer....it saves my customers a lot of money if I just reset the computer and forget the Windows 10 crap!!

God, I hate Windows 10!!!

bookie32

3 hours ago, bookie32 said:

I hate Windows 10!!!

If you hate it, it doesnt mean windows 10 is not good, it just means that you didnt spent enough time to tweak it work better

2 hours ago, kosamja said:

If you hate it, it doesnt mean windows 10 is not good, it just means that you didnt spent enough time to tweak it work better

OH, yes, it means exactly that.

You are falling in the usual (common enough) mistake to think that the Windows 10 that you tweaked, bettered, changed, tuned, modified is Windows 10.

It is not.

Windows 10 is what MS deliver to you UNmodified, and it sucks (BIG).

Once you have done all your tweakings, and spent countless hours to modify it, then it becomes another thing (most probably bearable and even "working").

jaclaz 

A Win 10 feature that was new to me:  A Win 10 neighbor had small visiting relatives and when they went home the Win 10 laptop could not be logged onto with the normal password.  If one is logged onto Win 10 with a Microsoft password then a server password reset feature is available. Working at a university this feature was used quite a lot for users who logged onto the server.  By using the Win 10 online password reset, using Safari on the iPhone, the laptop password was reset and the neighbor was very happy with Microsoft. The appropriate security procedure worked to verify that the password reset was actually requested by the laptop owner.  Had not thought about logging on to a Win 10 system with an online Microsoft logon was like logging onto a university server computer.  To me, this made a "Deeper Impression."

8 minutes ago, BudwS said:

A Win 10 neighbor had small visiting relatives and when they went home the Win 10 laptop could not be logged onto with the normal password.

Can you explain?

What do you mean "small visiting relatives"?

Evil gnomes that changed the password? :w00t:

Or the sheer presence near the laptop of someone that is not the owner did that?

jaclaz

2 hours ago, jaclaz said:

OH, yes, it means exactly that.

You are falling in the usual (common enough) mistake to think that the Windows 10 that you tweaked, bettered, changed, tuned, modified is Windows 10.

It is not.

Windows 10 is what MS deliver to you UNmodified, and it sucks (BIG).

Once you have done all your tweakings, and spent countless hours to modify it, then it becomes another thing (most probably bearable and even "working").

jaclaz 

Thanks jaclaz....

My thoughts and sentiments exactly....

The basic Windows 10 upgrade killed off thousands of computers....and now the creators update is no ****** better...!!!!

Microsoft have released the worst ever OS and it is utter crap!!

bookie32

Edited by bookie32
swearing

10 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Once you have done all your tweakings, and spent countless hours to modify it, then it becomes another thing (most probably bearable and even "working")

And almost certainly less maintainable.  I constantly have to rely on my lifetime of experience not to have my Win 10 test system become unusable.  Again.  And so it remains captive in a virtual machine, while my desktop - on which I rely for business and all general computing needs - continues to run Windows 8.1 (with countless hours of tweaks).  The difference is that Microsoft is no longer trying to change Win 8.1 into something other than an NT-derived operating system.

-Noel