Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

6 hours ago, vinifera said:

mmm swede chicks are beautiful

Now, now vinifera....behave yourself:w00t:

12 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Well, in the UK Government and  NHS have - like many other British well established traditions - a long history of data leaks, at the time of the BIG one at least they saved a lot on cloud infrastructure and managed to do it with just a couple DVD's:

https://wiki.openrightsgroup.org/wiki/Discgate

but they are seemingly quickly evolving ;)

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/02/28/health_firm_fined_over_data_leak/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/17/security-breach-fears-26-million-nhs-patients/

https://medconfidential.org/about/

jaclaz

OK! mistakes are being made and that will continue to happen with human error....

BUT....I don't think I am alone in thinking Microsoft have ulterior motives for the collection of data...

It won't be the first time Microsoft have been in the firing line for invading the privacy of email subscribers....hiding behind laywers is no excuse...

I just don't trust their motives....

bookie32

Well, I have to admit that I have been burying my head in the sand regarding a lot of the new updates from Microsoft for Windows 10....

I have customers ringing me regarding the fact they are asked to review their privacy settings for The Creator's Update.....When will Microsoft realise that this is blackmail...

If the user keeps asking to be reminded about reviewing their privacy settings....then it doesn't popup any more and then they lose use of their computer until they check their settings....?!!

Just had a customer saying he has put it off because he didn't know what to do.....and then he gets the popup telling him to choose his privacy settings or else....!!!

Of course, I tell my customers to ring me if they are uncertain about anything.....but many are pensioners that haven't a clue what they are looking at....

Microsoft call these settings "Privacy Settings" privacy settings my arse....

Sorry, if I am a little behind on this winge but just can't get over the stupidity of Microsoft....!!

bookie32

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I wonder, since NoelC has been posting his impressive Windows "uptimes" from time to time, whether he has noticed any difference in the inevitable time it takes for software rot to set in on Windows 10 vs. Windows 8 or 7? In other words, how long before you wipe the slate clean and do a clean install again due to system sluggishness and performance issues?

Edited by BYTE-ME

Impressive? :unsure:

Maybe impressive for "recent" or "modern" windows. :dubbio:

And reinstalling because of "software rot" [1]?

Seriously, what do you consider in your experience a "normal" period between "wiping the slate clean and clean reinstall"? (to understand what is the "base reference").

jaclaz

[1] i.e. something that most probably does not even exist?

This act just Rememberize me something familler with the "System"

its start simple building infrastructure for anything that needed

health, government and so on, and then come the law or the template that set by who know his name, and cant be change back and will hold still for ever

Windows 10 just going this path, its start nice and dice everyone is happy building their infrastructure based on windows platform and everything is ticking

till the "evil" force come on and start changing things everytime it going small step by step

till no one can go back to the way its was, and we stuck with this c**** forever

so is our internet freedom and net neutrality

Edited by aviv00

I was just being facetious with the use of the word "impressive" because, as I recall, the screen shot uptimes I saw NoelC post were all less than a couple of months :rolleyes:.

@jaclazI have no experience with Windows 10 because I don't use it, but my own personal experience has been that Windows 8 slows noticeably to me after two to five months, depending on how much other software I have installed and how frequently I access the PC; I've never keep the same hardware/software combination on my Windows 7 installations to fairly measure any slowdown, but my sense is that it stays more responsive longer than Windows 8. Your mileage may vary.

Edited by BYTE-ME

I see. :)

I just retired a NT 4.00 that was running 24/7 since 2003 and a Windows 2000 that was running 8/5 since the same time.

On the NT 4.00 machine the stretches were as long as I wanted them to be, basically the only downtime was for hardware maintenance (cleaning and replacing of parts, namely I changed two or three disks and a couple power supplies) plus the occasional blackouts.

The NT 4.00 machine, until I found an obscure Registry setting (that I now completely forgot) had initially an issue with something like a mouse movement buffer getting saturated and needing a reboot every 3 or 4 months, but after that it has always been fine.

Neither OS was ever reinstalled, to be exact the 2K machine was migrated some time in 2009 or 2010 to a new motherboard, but without reinstalling, just some "sorcery" ;) with device drivers.

Both machines have been replaced with new machines with Windows 7 in March or April 2017.

Till now nothing of note.

Admittedly these machine are very "static", i.e. once configured[1] it is not likely - unless there is a problem of some kind -  that they have new programs installed or zillion Gbytes of crap downloaded, so they may not be a good "reference".

A common "user" machine is surely subject to much heavier impact from user actions.

jaclaz

[1] And making some of the old software that needs to run on those machine working in Windows 7 has been NOT easy at all, had to use several tricks and some small freeware tools to have it behave how it should have, but all in all it wasn't as bad as I feared.

19 hours ago, BYTE-ME said:

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I wonder, since NoelC has been posting his impressive Windows "uptimes" from time to time, whether he has noticed any difference in the inevitable time it takes for software rot to set in on Windows 10 vs. Windows 8 or 7? In other words, how long before you wipe the slate clean and do a clean install again due to system sluggishness and performance issues?

Can't speak for him, but I've never had to do a format and reinstall on any of my computers for that reason.

6 hours ago, Dibya said:

Hi peeps any of you asked silly questions to cortana?  Like how can I drink water? Do you like me ? Etc

Answers are fun lol! !

NOT as fun as Tay's or Zo's ones, namely last documented Zo's one:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/microsoft-ai-chatbot-zo-windows-spyware-tay-2017-7

When we asked "is windows 10 good," Zo replied with a familiar joke mocking Microsoft's operating system: "It's not a bug, it's a feature!' - Windows 8." We asked for more info, to which Zo bluntly replied: "Because it's Windows latest attempt at Spyware."

jaclaz

Windows 7 introduced odd bug in Command Prompt windows when it comes to Raster Fonts. With certain system locale setting (language for non-Unicode programs) and when session ID is higher than 1 (it increases each time user logs on), size 8x12 for Raster Fonts just disappears, so it falls back to 7x12. I don't know which languages exactly except Slovenian are effected. Looks like it was fixed in Win10.

Another interesting issue on older Windows versions, spewing events with IDs 500 and 501 - The Desktop Window Manager is experiencing heavy resource contention. My 8.1 machine generates them on approximately 1-hour interval. Didn't happen on Win10, same graphics driver version. Video RAM usage is always below 512 MB (have total of 2 GB), not doing anything 3D heavy, warnings persist even though no performance degradation is apparent. I also see them on my two virtual machines with Win 7 and 8.1, but not on Win10 one.

On with the bad news, someone noticed another performance issue: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/45024029/windows-10-poor-performance-compared-to-windows-7-page-fault-handling-is-not-sc

11 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Windows 7 introduced odd bug in Command Prompt windows when it comes to Raster Fonts. With certain system locale setting (language for non-Unicode programs) and when session ID is higher than 1 (it increases each time user logs on), size 8x12 for Raster Fonts just disappears, so it falls back to 7x12. I don't know which languages exactly except Slovenian are effected. Looks like it was fixed in Win10.

Another interesting issue on older Windows versions, spewing events with IDs 500 and 501 - The Desktop Window Manager is experiencing heavy resource contention. My 8.1 machine generates them on approximately 1-hour interval. Didn't happen on Win10, same graphics driver version. Video RAM usage is always below 512 MB (have total of 2 GB), not doing anything 3D heavy, warnings persist even though no performance degradation is apparent. I also see them on my two virtual machines with Win 7 and 8.1, but not on Win10 one.

On with the bad news, someone noticed another performance issue: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/45024029/windows-10-poor-performance-compared-to-windows-7-page-fault-handling-is-not-sc

What about 8.1? Does the command prompt raster fonts bug exist in 8.1?

1 hour ago, xpclient said:

What about 8.1? Does the command prompt raster fonts bug exist in 8.1?

Yes, it does, just try setting system locale to Slovenian here:
RegionCPL.png.e0a84d5b2404b484c6d490042e9c8e04.png
After reboot, log off and back on so the session number increases and the 8x12 option disappears:
CMDRaster.png.e8e26cb17949f36e4852079edc8db207.png
Apparently picking a random language in said dialog may not reveal the bug and I haven't found the list of affected languages, I just know English US is not, Slovenian is and "windows 7 raster fonts 8x12" search term is known to Google. Coupled with the fact that the session number must be higher than 1; makes no sense at all, at least from the outsider perspective.

Also noticed in Win10, Command Prompt windows maximize normally, even if you switch to legacy console.

11 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

I remember this link, 10th of July. At this point, I'd also like to pinpoint another thing common to most NT systems, at least since Compatibility Engine is the thing. Process creation is  a bit slower than it would be normally since the system scans the compatibility database to know which compatibility shims it should apply. There is a setting somewhere to turn it off, which might be desirable if only properly written software is run on the system. But it can be useful for some problematic legacy applications and games.

Another problem with the compatibility database, some entries in there are incomplete or redundant, in some cases even making the app crash. That's why you might have heard that someone fixed some app crashing by renaming its executable. :D Interstate '82 comes to mind. Because Windows was applying a shim to it that it shouldn't. And not everyone knows about Compatibility Administrator. Also, compatibility modes exposed in .exe properties tend to apply tons of redundant shims.

We also have Metro style wizard for user account creation in dialog accessed by running netplwiz since Win8. It locks the desktop, but not the taskbar and tries to convince you to go MS account way.

There's also something strange about the Task Scheduler, opening dialog for editing task's trigger takes few seconds to open the first time. It feels fastest on Vista, at least on my side, though it's still not instantaneous the first time.