Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

Picking up where we left off, I'm quoting here from @NoelC

Is it just me, or do you feel a bout of nausea when mainstream media "reports" with paid bias - not to mention disregard of observed reality? It's like they're weaving threads of ridiculous untruths into the fabric of the news in the hopes that we'll all start to actively disregard our own experiences in order to fit into their version of reality.

refreshingly, the company seems to have found its stride with its recent releases. Windows 10 seems to be making up for lost ground with an operating system that is beautiful, easy to use, and dare I say ... enjoyable.

What about upgrading? Seamless

Holy mother of tsg_smiley_devil.gif

Postulate a couple of ridiculous "givens" like the above, then work into an expose of how Windows is just going to be the world's most successful adware. The givens MUST be true, then, eh?

This is unhealthy for the people of the world.

-Noel

That IS pretty sad. :no:

Regarding the description of Win10 as "beautiful," I can't fathom why anybody would think that flat buttons and gray/white blandness all over the UI is somehow beautiful. There's no accounting for taste, but it makes me wonder what sort of plain-vanilla, generic existence they prefer to lead. But by far the worst part of it is that they seem to be OK with foisting that blandness on every Windows user out there. Now that is a significant break from what Windows was like historically.

--JorgeA

And from @loblo:

Looks like the Windows 10 uptake is not fast enough, (or a complete flop), so they now bring the best (newspeak) of 10 to 7 and 8:

https://support.micr...n-us/kb/3068708

Looks to me like all they wanted with 10 is putting those tracking services in people's computers.

That KB article was a little confusing. It claims that it's for PCs that already participate in the "Customer Experience Improvement Program," but it also says that the new update "collects diagnostics about functional issues". I thought that was precisely what the CEIP was for already? :unsure:  So what exactly is new here?

In any case, I'm not taking any chances: I'm not installing this update!

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Picking up where we left off, I'm quoting here from @NoelC

Is it just me, or do you feel a bout of nausea when mainstream media "reports" with paid bias - not to mention disregard of observed reality? It's like they're weaving threads of ridiculous untruths into the fabric of the news in the hopes that we'll all start to actively disregard our own experiences in order to fit into their version of reality.

refreshingly, the company seems to have found its stride with its recent releases. Windows 10 seems to be making up for lost ground with an operating system that is beautiful, easy to use, and dare I say ... enjoyable.

What about upgrading? Seamless

Holy mother of tsg_smiley_devil.gif

Postulate a couple of ridiculous "givens" like the above, then work into an expose of how Windows is just going to be the world's most successful adware. The givens MUST be true, then, eh?

This is unhealthy for the people of the world.

-Noel

That IS pretty sad. :no:

Regarding the description of Win10 as "beautiful," I can't fathom why anybody would think that flat buttons and gray/white blandness all over the UI is somehow beautiful. There's no accounting for taste, but it makes me wonder what sort of plain-vanilla, generic existence they prefer to lead. But by far the worst part of it is that they seem to be OK with foisting that blandness on every Windows user out there. Now that is a significant break from what Windows was like historically.

--JorgeA

Exactly, everyone complained when XP came out about the "bozo the clown theme", but it took literally three clicks to turn it off and go back to the classic Win9x/2k theme. How much would it kill Microsoft to include the Classic and Aero Glass themes? Oh, I forgot, it will kill their new "hip and modern" image.

... beautiful, easy to use, and dare I say ... enjoyable ... ... Seamless ...

^ Whenever they use such epithets (of a kind normally reserved for descripting a recently acquired girlfriend) you know you're in the presence of a paid shill.

Microsoft: Windows 10 collects users' private information, but not for ads

...nahh, only to pass it on to the NSA, investigators, and to build a dossier profile on you.

In any case I am dubious about the "not for ads" part. I'd have to wade back into that 17,000-word agreement again, but I'm pretty sure it says something in there about users of the Microsoft Account being followed around the Web by the use of cookies and beacons for the (supposed) purpose of delivering personalized ads.

--JorgeA

Here's a positive development:

You don't need to use a Microsoft Account to download apps from Window 10's Store

...Here's how to download apps without having to switch.

Fire up the Store using your preferred method -- Start menu, taskbar, or whatever -- and then click the person icon to the upper right of the window, just to the left of the Search bar. Select Microsoft Account in the popup that appears and then enter your email address and password.

You now need to take care.

Microsoft wants you to convert your local account into a Microsoft Account; it is easy to miss, but you do have the option to skip this if you prefer. Rather than entering your password, click the link below the password field that reads Sign in to just this app instead.

You're now free to browse the Store and download apps whilst leaving your local account as a local account.

--JorgeA

It seems like a few corporate users aren't  happy  :whistle::

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/07/windows_10_auto_injects_itself_into_windows_7/

Windows 7 PCs are being force fed a diet of Windows 10, breaking a promise made by Microsoft.

The problem is affecting domain-attached Windows 7 PCs not signed up to Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) for patches and updates, but looking for a Microsoft update instead.

The upshot is PCs, ranging from 10s to hundreds at a time, simultaneously chowing down on the 3GB-plus Windows 10 load, killing business networks.

jaclaz

Looks like a suffusion of yellow...  And green.

And so the claim that Windows 10 is faster than earlier versions for gaming is now debunked too. Interesting.  Is this OS better at anything - besides pleasing dhjohns :) and raising everyone else's suspicions :( - than its predecessors?

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

From the perspective of a company making an operating system that is (supposedly) capable of completely replacing an older version, why would they bother to put new features in an old version?  That would make no sense.

Whether Windows 10 actually IS capable of replacing Windows 7...  That's open for debate, but Microsoft's intent is clearly that it will.  It would be absolutely stupid of them to have cut such a clear path (i.e., where they expect EVERYONE to upgrade) and then do something that would make it even slightly more likely someone would want to stay on the old version.

Face it, Windows 10 is here.  The time for optimizing its use is upon us.  Those who are taking a conservative approach will find it viable for only a limited time (possibly years, but limited nonetheless).

-Noel