Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Strange mouse behavior on an LCD monitor

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Foxbat

Foxbat

• PipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Joined 18-January 11

Wow, thanks for all the responses. The Win9x community is still as active as ever! That's a lot of info to look over.

As for a workaround, once the monitor has been booted with Win7 and is working correctly, don't power it off! Let it hibernate when the PC's are off.

Only as a last resort. Years ago, I got into the habit of powering off the surge protector when closing out for the night or prior to leaving to keep all the connected electronics from wasting power. Good habits are hard to break.

@ Foxbat:

It's just a hunch but the monitor may use EDID extensions which may not be recognized by the 98 driver.

I have a very raw and incomplete script that reads EDID data from the registry and another one that dumps the registry data to text files. Comparing the registry data between 98 and 7 might shed some light (or not). I could compile and upload these if you want. Done, check my repository, the EDID folder.

What exactly did not work with modified drivers: wouldn't install at all or got installed but wouldn't make any difference?

Overriding EDID with custom resolutions  is a bit different in 9x than in NT-based Windows. I couldn't fully understand it myself and didn't pursue the matter further after resolving the issue with Hanns-G.

Thanks for the script. I will try it when I have the chance.

For the modified drivers, I could not get 98 to accept the inf. It doesn't see it, and always go back to the generic driver.

When I went to change custom resolutions, that option is not there anymore after switching to the Dell. I guess I can't change it with this monitor.

That's all the time I have for now. Life's getting busy again, so I will have to spread this out over time.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

3 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

rloew, MiKl