Uninstall Cortana from Windows 10

maxXPsoft

Edit: I don't want or need Cortana. They should give us option of uninstalling somewhere.

I also don't want the Search2 tracking my stuff

Search will still work in Explorer and Ctrl F will still work in documents

Trojan being detected by MBAM on this link. Whether it is or not I can't point to that link anymore.  NoelC has a Windows10ReTweaker script if you want to remove Cortana and Store with all useless APPS 

I still have it if someone wants it I can post to Mediafire. MSG me

you have to download a few programs and add to folder right now. Still working far as this edit 9/2/2018

Edited by maxXPsoft
Trojan being detected by MBAM on the link.

There are already many applications will also do this except none right now uninstall Cortana except wimtweak.

I like W10 Privacy because it will uninstall the Metro Apps from User and System. Has many tweaks to disable Privacy things

W10 Privacy Download

To determine the system apps psexec.exe from Microsoft is needed. Download

Extract and copy psexec.exe to W10 Privacy folder. Right click W10Privacy.exe and run as Administrator

But

To truly uninstall them you use Dism.

DISM /Online /Remove-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackageName:**PACKAGENAME**

Open Administrator command prompt

DISM /Online /Get-ProvisionedAppxPackages >> Get-ProvisionedAppxPackages.txtTimeout 5DISM /Online /Remove-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackageName:Microsoft.XboxApp_2015.617.130.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbweDISM /Online /Remove-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackageName:Microsoft.3DBuilder_2015.624.2254.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbweDISM /Online /Get-ProvisionedAppxPackages >> Get-ProvisionedAppxPackagesAfter.txt
Edited by maxXPsoft

Worked just as stated, and the process searchui.exe is gone for good.  Thank you, maxXPsoft.

Confirmed:  Searches work as expected in the Explorer box, and from Classic Shell's start menu.

-Noel

Its a start. Getting rid of all them phone apps makes this less chatty.

I flipped so many switches Store will load but when going to an app page it closes window which is fine by me. I don't need any of their stuff wants to share so many permissions like an android phone.

I imagine its the don't share my ID which is most important to me.

May fire up Powershell and heave ho the Store

This is right now but mostly browsing with Fox

6ugSPyb.png

Edited by maxXPsoft

As a side-side note, the screenshot shows how old I am :w00t::ph34r:, I recently criticized the use of name/paths like:

<drive letter>\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\6To_60S7K_FU06yjEhjh5dpFw96549UU\scout.exe

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/174083-seems-legit/

as being a clear giveaway that the thingy was a malware/spyware and now the good MS guys use on an official OS release a similar one? :unsure:

Hmmm, no, wait, Cortana/searchui.exe actually is a form of malware/spyware, I was right after all. :yes:

:lol:

jaclaz

Perhaps the programmers at the new, more aggressive Microsoft are no longer instructed to build a general purpose OS, where things are potentially user-configurable.  In that light, who wouldn't want to run Cortana and reap all the benefits she provides (to Microsoft)? 

Without a general purpose architecture as their goal they are free to just code things out to meet their immediate needs.  Hence, there's probably a ShellExecute command with the SearchUI command hard coded right in.

The system still passes an SFC check without Cortana.  That's arguably more important than an event log error message, because it means the change is less likely to be undone.

-Noel

Worked just as stated, and the process searchui.exe is gone for good.  Thank you, maxXPsoft.

Confirmed:  Searches work as expected in the Explorer box, and from Classic Shell's start menu.

-Noel

If you trying out that W10 Privacy this is huge

Translated with google

1.4.0.0 (28.08.2015)

- Implemented the new "firewall". Despite the deactivation of numerous telemetry and data collection services I noticed that various Windows components continue to try -from any reason always- contact with external systems take. Fortunately, Microsoft offers here but in such cases on the built-in firewall already Remedy ;-)

The "firewall" thus includes firewall rules to block external access for almost all system-installed Apps and known processes: a simple click the desired apps and processes for communication with external recording system such as Microsoft servers can be blocked!

Edited by maxXPsoft

Interesting I still let updates come through and just tracking like store weather and defender

Update came through yesterday 3081448 and Store started working again but I would still need to plugin my account if I want to add something.

• 1 month later...

So will any new update break this method? Hope no.

So far, with all the cumulative updates that have been delivered for build 10240, the answer has been no.

I still have only one AppxPackage left:  Microsoft.Appconnector.

-Noel

Hotfix(s):                 8 Hotfix(s) Installed.
                           [01]: KB3074678
                           [02]: KB3074686
                           [03]: KB3081444
                           [04]: KB3081448
                           [05]: KB3081449
                           [06]: KB3081452
                           [07]: KB3081455
                           [08]: KB3087040

and the one keeps crashing not installed

Windows 10 KB3093266 Update Problems Reported: Failed Installs, Start Menu and Cortana Issues

size of 226MB for 32bit users and 505MB for the 64bit version

I* image back and put back weather, just nothing out there will give you instant weather, tried all the free stuff. Live tile off though and ports close quickly

Edited by maxXPsoft