Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows Vista installation - does make sense?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

spookymulder90

spookymulder90

• 13 posts
  • Joined 19-August 15

Hey,

So, now I need OS for my normal PC, and I think... Vista is best choise for me... But... I don't know whether it makes sense. Vista have support to 2017, Server 2008 to 2020. Maybe I should take S2008? This PC is LenovoY510P. I don't want Windows 7 >>>. Vista isn't the best OS, but I can't install Win 9x, 2000 or XP on this laptop. :)

If you need something more, please, tell me this.

spookymulder90.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

netbookdelgob

netbookdelgob

Junior

• Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Joined 14-February 15

You can use server 2008, but i think you will have some compatibility issues.

Check this:

http://www.win2008r2workstation.com/

http://win2k8.msfn.org/

Edited by netbookdelgob, 25 August 2015 - 02:52 PM.

spookymulder90

spookymulder90

• 13 posts
  • Joined 19-August 15

So, Server 2008 is better choise? Okay, I will try. :)

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Supervisor
  • 10,199 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

We also have this forum section specifically for those trying to use 2008 on non-server boards.
http://www.msfn.org/...to-workstation/
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
Posted Image

spookymulder90

spookymulder90

• 13 posts
  • Joined 19-August 15

Okay, I will check. I will write, when I need help with something.

11ryanc

11ryanc

Usability is an essential

• Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Joined 24-September 13

Server 2008 is based on Vista, R2 being 7. Just beware of those very key variations. There's a converter tool for either to get client stuff going. So you're cool there.

With that in mind, yes 2008 R1 is supported 3 more years than Vista. But do not expect servers to be treated any different than their client counterparts when it comes to general software and drivers. Sometimes you'll get to stuff locking out installation on servers. Once EOL hits, the server will feel that very same raft. Luckily for us though, 7 and Vista are very much so alike. For example, I'm using an unsupported AMD video driver under Vista as we speak. So OS is fairly future proof, with certain regressions aside. Open source developers treat OS fairly well too. Also, being an ex user of 2008. I can tell you straight up it simply is Vista, just with server tools and related functions. They even share the same update model and Service Packs, maybe some small things vary. So as far as security patches go. You can be confident we have a fallback means of updates to get going on Vista  for quite a long time ;) If not... Oh well. Common Sense Internet Security 2020.

(I've noticed things sometimes break with client related features being brought over to WinServer. I'd seriously just use Vista, but feel more than free to give it a dive.)

Edited by 11ryanc, Yesterday, 07:31 PM.

31824.png

spookymulder90

spookymulder90

• 13 posts
  • Joined 19-August 15

Okay, so, I must try Windows Vista. :)

Edited by spookymulder90, Today, 02:38 AM.

spookymulder90

spookymulder90

• 13 posts
  • Joined 19-August 15

So, I have a small problem with a drivers in Vista SP2 x64... I can't find a graphic card driver (Geforce GT755M). Someone can help me? Maybe I should try Win2k8? 

Edited by spookymulder90, Today, 07:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users