Windows Vista installation - does make sense?

spookymulder90

Hey,

So, now I need OS for my normal PC, and I think... Vista is best choice for me... But... I don't know whether it makes sense. Vista have support to 2017, Server 2008 to 2020. Maybe I should take S2008? This PC is LenovoY510P. I don't want Windows 7 >>>. Vista isn't the best OS, but I can't install Win 9x, 2000 or XP on this laptop. :)

If you need something more, please, tell me this.

spookymulder90.

Server 2008 is based on Vista, R2 being 7. Just beware of those very key variations. There's a converter tool for either to get client stuff going. So you're cool there.

With that in mind, yes 2008 R1 is supported 3 more years than Vista. But do not expect servers to be treated any different than their client counterparts when it comes to general software and drivers. Sometimes you'll get to stuff locking out installation on servers. Once EOL hits, the server will feel that very same raft. Luckily for us though, 7 and Vista are very much so alike. For example, I'm using an unsupported AMD video driver under Vista as we speak. So OS is fairly future proof, with certain regressions aside. Open source developers treat OS fairly well too. Also, being an ex user of 2008. I can tell you straight up it simply is Vista, just with server tools and related functions. They even share the same update model and Service Packs, maybe some small things vary. So as far as security patches go. You can be confident we have a fallback means of updates to get going on Vista  for quite a long time ;) If not... Oh well. Common Sense Internet Security 2020.

(I've noticed things sometimes break with client related features being brought over to WinServer. I'd seriously just use Vista, but feel more than free to give it a dive.)

Edited by 11ryanc

So, I have a small problem with a drivers in Vista SP2 x64... I can't find a graphic card driver (Geforce GT755M). Someone can help me? Maybe I should try Win2k8? 

Again, drivers for Server 2008 and Vista are the same. Applies to R2 and Windows 7 as well. If you can't find any drivers newer than XP, it could simply be a result of an aged GPU that was released pre-Vista era. If that is the case, try an XP driver. More than likely it will work, but don't expect to be able to use Aero or certain 3d related DWM functions.

No! There are drivers but never than Vista! I can find drivers for Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10. But I can't install it on Windows Vista SP2. :( I think... if there are not drivers for Vista... Vista & Server 2008 are dead. Just old PCs can run this OS... or PCs with drivers for Vista.

Edited by spookymulder90

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0FE4&SUBSYS_380017AA&REV_A1 - I think this is Geforce GT755M, drivers are working (manually instalation, I've used Device Manager), but card used by Vista is a "Standard graphics card"

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0FE4&SUBSYS_380017AA&REV_A1 - "Standard graphics card"... O.o But drivers for Geforce GT755M are not working...

Edited by spookymulder90

• 2 weeks later...

Install all the updates along with .net framework 4. I assume you're getting the infamous "side by side configuration" error. This should solve the issue. 

If you want to make Server 2008 like Vista, I suggest checking out this video:

Hey one more time! I have a question about Nvidia graphics drivers on Windows Server 2008... Someone know, how I can install Nvidia drivers on Win 2k8? I tried the way from Vista, however is not working. :(