VMware Workstation 12 Upgrade Price Higher Than Ever

NoelC

In this time of the "free" ad-supported operating system offered as a "free" upgrade, VMware Workstation 12 is released, and the upgrade price is (for me in the US) $149.

A few years ago it was just $99 for an upgrade.  I've been buying the upgrades to the new versions every year.  I presently have version 11.

But now, we see the price higher than ever, and I don't know whether to be happy or upset about it.

• It's upsetting because the price is higher than ever.

• Yet I'm happy that VMware is not trying to join the "free" ad-supported craze.

The VMware Workstation product is generally good - serious, very stable.  I've always said I'm happy to pay good money for good software.

The new version offers the ability to run virtual machines on a Win 10 host - something I won't need (for a while at least, possibly ever) as I'm not in any hurry to upgrade my host workstation to Win 10.  The new version offers features I don't yet need, such as IPv6 bridging.  But it also promises potential improvements, such as better multi-monitor support.

So the conundrum is this:  Upgrade or just stay in a holding pattern?

The decision is difficult - maybe that says they priced it right after all.

-Noel

• 3 weeks later...

Exactly.  Haven't bought it.  Version 11 does just as well and runs everything I need (including a Win 10 VM).

I hear it's easier to make a new VM under a Windows 10 host if one uses VMware 12, but...  No need here.  I won't be moving to a Win 10 host for some time if at all.

-Noel