Adobe Acrobat Reader DC in Vista

WinClient5270

I hope it's okay to post about (yet another) compatibility issue with Vista! ;)

Some of you may know already, but the latest version of Adobe Reader (Acrobat DC) only supports Windows 7 and later. However, I extracted the installer and got an MSI out of it. I edited the MSI with Orca and removed the NT 6.1 restriction, and it installed without errors. However, getting it to run is a different story.

Judging by the error message attached, it appears that there's a missing call in USER32.dll called GetTouchInputInfo.

I don't know if it can be stubbed or not, and I lack the necessary skills to do it myself.

Would anyone here be interested in stubbing this call (or even finding out if it can be done)? Any help is greatly appreciated. post-393978-0-35961400-1440613354_thumb.

I guess it isn't really much of an issue since alternatives such as Foxit Reader still support Vista. But it would be interesting if somebody could get it going anyway.

I am willing to bet that it could be. The size that Acrobat reader has grown to is absolutely ridiculous. 75 MB download :\

It would indeed be very interesting to see it work in Vista. But yeah, Adobe products in general are quite bloated now. Reader is of no exception, and I personally am not a fan. Nitro PDF and Foxit are pretty nice alternatives. UI is a lot like Office 2010 too.

Yes, Sumatra is really nice. UI is very Vista fitting too with color scheme and such. But it's not an actual PDF editor, but neither is Reader for that matter. Not the free version anyway. Though it can perform signatures. For professional purposes, have been a little reliant on working with a lot of PDF formats.

• 3 weeks later...

That's quite impressive. Keep up the good work with Win2k, BWC.

Now all we need is someone to do this kind of stuff with Vista...  ;)

http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/1912125.html

For reference, here is trying Adobe Reader DC on Windows 2000.

I extended several functions on Windows 2000.

7ef4577e.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Add this file to your Acrobat Reader DC installation folder. Hex edit AcroRd32.dll and replace "user32.dll" with "user33.dll"

Since it says acroRd32, I don't know if this works on 64 bits. Be aware that the auto updater replaces the DLL so you need to keep up with it

user33.zip

Thank you so much Smeezekitty. It works great on my Vista 64 installation :thumbup

http://prntscr.com/8r23ll

Add this file to your Acrobat Reader DC installation folder. Hex edit AcroRd32.dll and replace "user32.dll" with "user33.dll"

Since it says acroRd32, I don't know if this works on 64 bits. Be aware that the auto updater replaces the DLL so you need to keep up with it

There is one small issue, but it doesn't seem to affect functionality of the program. 

I get this error when accessing the preferences window, but it still opens and functions. http://prntscr.com/8r2k6i

Thanks.I didn't notice this.

I don't generally worry about occasional error boxes if it still works

It also appears when trying to access the tools tab and it won't stop showing up until you kill the adobe reader process through task manager in which case functionality is slightly affected. But otherwise, everything works fine.

Thanks again for your work.