(either directly or via Edit -> Manage Tools), when the error
shown can't be clicked away and results in an endless loop,
making it necessary to kill AcroRd32.exe process manually
via Task manager.

2008WindowsVista is on Vista Ultimate 64bit and
he already reported those glitches since first
released version 2015.007.20033, but I am on
Vista HP 32bit and only started having those
after the latest update (version 2015.010.20060).

I do realise Adobe's code is closed-source,
but are you in any state to discern what was
introduced in latest update that started causing
me those issues? Could an updated version of your
user33.dll be compiled so as to address those?

As a workaround, I have downgraded to version 2015.010.20059
(which works totally fine on my system) and renamed
\plug_ins\Updater.api (to Updater.api.BAK) so that
it won't auto-update to 2015.010.20060...

Of course I can stay put at that version,
but it'll become less secure as time moves on...
Anyhow, many thanks for your efforts so far...

Most kind regards

I do realise Adobe's code is closed-source,
but are you in any state to discern what was
introduced in latest update that started causing
me those issues? Could an updated version of your
user33.dll be compiled so as to address those?

[/quote]

The problem is exactly what the message says it is. A now missing function in kernel32.dll

That means to fix it, a separate wrapper DLL has to be created for kernel32.dll. The good news is that the function DOES indeed exist in Vista. In fact it even existed in XP

The problem is that MS (stupidly) moved it from psapi.dll to kernel32.dll. And it is looking for the function in the wrong DLL

Basically a fake kernel32.dll would have to be created which would redirect *EnumProcess to the psapi.dll version. Not too bad. Just need to find the time to do it

Edited by smeezekitty

15 hours ago, smeezekitty said:

The problem is exactly what the message says it is. A now missing function in kernel32.dll
(snip)
The good news is that the function DOES indeed exist in Vista. In fact it even existed in XP
The problem is that MS (stupidly) moved it from psapi.dll to kernel32.dll.
And it is looking for the function in the wrong DLL.

Hello smeezekitty,
many thanks for your reply :P

If I understood correctly, K32EnumProcesses function
is present on Vista in psapi.dll, but on Win7 (min OS requirement
for Adobe Acrobat Reader DC) is to be found in kernel32.dll?
 Still, it's odd to me that the Adobe devs introduced that function
only in the latest update, with so many continous-track updates
having no need for it :unsure:

The good news, I guess, is that it's fixable, I am certainly not in
a hurry, so take your time to provide a properly working fix...
Let's hope Adobe don't introduce even more incompatible code
with their next update :angry:
I'll be keeping a watchful eye on this thread for the
eventual appearance of your patched DLLs.
Many thanks in anticipation :)

PS: There's some issue with the quote tags in your previous post;
as well as quoting me, you are also quoting yourself!

Edited by VistaLover

• 11 months later...

The problem is with the two DLL's, not the MSI. Orca is the wrong tool. Both DLL's need to be edited with a hex editor after installation or extraction.

> Hex edit AcroRd32.dll.... Be aware that the auto updater replaces the DLL so you need to keep up with it
Might making AcroRd32.dll read-only defeat the updater?

Edited by jumper

On 3/21/2017 at 2:56 AM, jumper said:

The problem is with the two DLL's, not the MSI. Orca is the wrong tool. Both DLL's need to be edited with a hex editor after installation or extraction.

> Hex edit AcroRd32.dll.... Be aware that the auto updater replaces the DLL so you need to keep up with it
Might making AcroRd32.dll read-only defeat the updater?

I am not using to change import . CFF Explorer best tool for the purpose .

I have implemented API in Shell32,user32,kernel32 of XP.

I want to get The installer work . Which portion of msi need to be edited ?

6 hours ago, Dibya said:

I am not using to change import . CFF Explorer best tool for the purpose .

I have implemented API in Shell32,user32,kernel32 of XP.

I want to get The installer work . Which portion of msi need to be edited ?

Sorry, I should've made this part more clear... 

1. Download the Adobe Reader DC distribution installer from here: https://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/

2. Once downloaded, the file will come in .exe format. Extract the .exe file with 7zip or whatever extractor you use. After doing so, you should be able to access the .MSI files.

3. Modify AcroRead.msi with Orca, following what @jumper said to do, and it should work.

The last version I could get working on Windows Vista with @smeezekitty's wrappers was Reader DC version 2015.007.20033... Since you're more experienced at this kind of stuff than I, you may have better luck.

Edited by 2008WindowsVista

On Πέμπτη, 23 Μάρτιος 2017 at 0:01 AM, 2008WindowsVista said:

The last version I could get working on Windows Vista with @smeezekitty's wrappers was Reader DC version 2015.007.20033... Since you're more experienced at this kind of stuff than I, you may have better luck.

Hi all

I got as far as File Version 15.010.20060.43353 of the "Continuous Track", which was released one year ago (March 8th 2016) and has the tabbed interface:

ARDC15_Vista.thumb.jpg.41c203c96d4437237edae82e9a9b8365.jpg

I think people will find valuable Adobe's own ftp links:

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/AcrobatDC/

Open the "1501020060" directory and download "AcroRdrDC1501020060_en_US.exe".

As per the instructions previously in this thread, unpack (I used 7-zip) into a folder and patch "AcroRead.msi".

A free alternative to Orca is Superorca, but be cautious because Superorca instantly modifies .msi installers; there's no "Save" option,

only a "Save as" one, which allows for saving the modified file under a new name... 

To install base version 15.007.20033 on Vista, I changed "Not((VersionNT<601))" under "LaunchCondition" to "Not((VersionNT<600))".

"AcroRdrDCUpd1501020060.msp" (windows installer patch) is the file that will update your initial installation from 15.007.20033 to 15.010.20060.

My aged memory fails me at this point, what I think I did was to "cheat", so to speak:

I installed "AcroRdrDC1501020060_en_US.exe" directly onto a Win7SP1 laptop (without a prior Adobe Reader installation),

and (before it got updated further) I copied over the whole installation dir to a USB stick; this was then used to overwrite the initial 15.007.20033 Vista installation...

I don't remember whether file "AcroRdrDCUpd1501020060.msp" runs on Vista or not, (Super)Orca can't inspect it...

Last stage is to hex-edit DLLs "AcroRd32.dll", "AGM.dll", "AdobeLinguistic.dll" (read previously in this thread) and add "kernel33.dll" and "user33.dll" kindly and selflessly compiled and provided by @smeezekitty (...huge belated thanks :wub: )

The next update Adobe issued to 15.010.20060 was 15.016.20039, released on May 4th 2016.

Most sadly, @smeezekitty's fixes cease to work at this point, because the devs introduced another Vista kernel incompatibility:

58d5dc34f1de0_EntryPointNotFound.jpg.8969e59f12fa676f79a438dedc3fb208.jpg

I don't possess the knowledge to tell whether this error could be still fixed by another "redirection" DLL by @smeezekitty or someone else...

Version 15.010.20060 is already one year old, superseded by many others in between (from 15.016.20039 to latest 15.023.20070).

I would be very keen on having one of those later versions made to run on Vista, since they implement the new "DarkTheme.acrotheme",

a dark UI which is much softer on the eyes, especially during the night...

If I understood right, @Dibya works on XP and has modified the XP kernel accordingly...

Can a solution be worked out on Vista OS, too?

Please do share here if anyone's managed to have a recent version of Reader DC run on Vista...

EDIT1: To prevent your Vista installed version (15.010.20060) from auto-updating to a non-compatible newer version,

rename or delete the "Updater.api" file inside "plug_ins" folder.

EDIT2: Acrobat Reader DC needs files msvcp100.dll, msvcp110.dll, msvcp120.dll, msvcr120.dll to be present inside app's root installation folder;

the "110" flavours belong to MSVC++2010 (should be already present in Vista SP2) and the "120" ones belong to MSVC++2013.

If not already present in your system (e.g. via another app or via Windows Update), look for them in Microsoft Download Center:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/developer-tools.aspx

Best regards :)

Edited by VistaLover
Typo

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2017 at 11:48 PM, VistaLover said:

Hi all

I got as far as File Version 15.010.20060.43353 of the "Continuous Track", which was released one year ago (March 8th 2016) and has the tabbed interface:

ARDC15_Vista.thumb.jpg.41c203c96d4437237edae82e9a9b8365.jpg

I think people will find valuable Adobe's own ftp links:

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/AcrobatDC/

Open the "1501020060" directory and download "AcroRdrDC1501020060_en_US.exe".

As per the instructions previously in this thread, unpack (I used 7-zip) into a folder and patch "AcroRead.msi".

A free alternative to Orca is Superorca, but be cautious because Superorca instantly modifies .msi installers; there's no "Save" option,

only a "Save as" one, which allows for saving the modified file under a new name... 

To install base version 15.007.20033 on Vista, I changed "Not((VersionNT<601))" under "LaunchCondition" to "Not((VersionNT<600))".

"AcroRdrDCUpd1501020060.msp" (windows installer patch) is the file that will update your initial installation from 15.007.20033 to 15.010.20060.

My aged memory fails me at this point, what I think I did was to "cheat", so to speak:

I installed "AcroRdrDC1501020060_en_US.exe" directly onto a Win7SP1 laptop (without a prior Adobe Reader installation),

and (before it got updated further) I copied over the whole installation dir to a USB stick; this was then used to overwrite the initial 15.007.20033 Vista installation...

I don't remember whether file "AcroRdrDCUpd1501020060.msp" runs on Vista or not, (Super)Orca can't inspect it...

Last stage is to hex-edit DLLs "AcroRd32.dll", "AGM.dll", "AdobeLinguistic.dll" (read previously in this thread) and add "kernel33.dll" and "user33.dll" kindly and selflessly compiled and provided by @smeezekitty (...huge belated thanks :wub: )

The next update Adobe issued to 15.010.20060 was 15.016.20039, released on May 4th 2016.

Most sadly, @smeezekitty's fixes cease to work at this point, because the devs introduced another Vista kernel incompatibility:

58d5dc34f1de0_EntryPointNotFound.jpg.8969e59f12fa676f79a438dedc3fb208.jpg

I don't possess the knowledge to tell whether this error could be still fixed by another "redirection" DLL by @smeezekitty or someone else...

Version 15.010.20060 is already one year old, superseded by many others in between (from 15.016.20039 to latest 15.023.20070).

I would be very keen on having one of those later versions made to run on Vista, since they implement the new "DarkTheme.acrotheme",

a dark UI which is much softer on the eyes, especially during the night...

If I understood right, @Dibya works on XP and has modified the XP kernel accordingly...

Can a solution be worked out on Vista OS, too?

Please do share here if anyone's managed to have a recent version of Reader DC run on Vista...

EDIT1: To prevent your Vista installed version (15.010.20060) from auto-updating to a non-compatible newer version,

rename or delete the "Updater.api" file inside "plug_ins" folder.

EDIT2: Acrobat Reader DC needs files msvcp100.dll, msvcp110.dll, msvcp120.dll, msvcr120.dll to be present inside app's root installation folder;

the "110" flavours belong to MSVC++2010 (should be already present in Vista SP2) and the "120" ones belong to MSVC++2013.

If not already present in your system (e.g. via another app or via Windows Update), look for them in Microsoft Download Center:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/developer-tools.aspx

Best regards :)

Thank you for the information, VistaLover! I finally got around to updating the Last versions of software for Windows Vista list to reflect this information, and I added an installation package for Reader DC for Vista containing all of the needed files.