How hard would it be to make a game looking like this?

Depends on:

-Are you experienced in graphics? If you do it alone and have no talent to arts It will never look good.

-In which language/environment would you like to do it? Difficulty Will be different f.e. if you code it in C++ than if you decide to use RPGMaker

-Will you use external graphic resources, or "paint it" all alone?

-Have you any experience in coding

-Are you going to do it alone?

etc...

Yes I have experience coding primarily in C# and VB.Net, as far as graphics go yes i have some talent it would be nice if I could get some help but i am sure i could do the graphics alone at least for the most part. I really need some direction in where I should start. I would be very happy if i could find some help in the coding process as well. The picture i posted is from a game made in 1995 so i was thinking it would be a little easier to pull this off in 2015... any feed back would be very welcome.

Thanks for responding, MORBiD.

There are libraries like SDL which make it very easy to create 2D cross platform games. I'd start out with something very simple, and then expand the complexity of your game. Keep in mind that making a game is not just coding, but you also need to make all of the tilesets, character sprites, sound, etc. It ends up being a lot of work,but it's pretty rewarding when you've got a finished product. I once made a simple stick figure fighting game with C and SDL, and I thought I bit off more than I could chew.