No sound from Doom 95

justacruzr2

Anybody ever had a problem with the sound in Doom 95 on Windows 98SE? I recently installed Doom 95 on my 98SE system but get no sound. I have Windows ME and XP on other drives in my system and it works fine there. They are all on the same motherboard. All the other programs I have on 98SE that produce sound work fine too. Just no sound from Doom. Tried using the default.cfg file from ME but that didn't work. The motherboard has the Intel AC97 sound chip. All the drivers are installed. Tried running it from DOS in 98SE but that didn't work either. Tried adding the line "SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5" to the autoexec.bat file but it didn't work. I'm thinking there's a problem with communication between the game and Windows.

Tried adding the line "SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5" to the autoexec.bat file but it didn't work.

Are you settings correct? See here about the BLASTER var:

http://www.rinkworks.com/apogee/s/6.4.2.shtml

That is specifically for DOS so you must not be using Doom95 there. For Doom95, a Windows application, it uses DirectSound.

Tried adding the line "SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5" to the autoexec.bat file but it didn't work.

Are you settings correct? See here about the BLASTER var:

http://www.rinkworks.com/apogee/s/6.4.2.shtml

That is specifically for DOS so you must not be using Doom95 there. For Doom95, a Windows application, it uses DirectSound.

Here's some additional information.  I have tried it in DOS mode also.  The result is the same which is weird since it's a DOS game.  The AC97 sound card is actually a chip on the motherboard.  There is nothing in a PCI or PCMCIA slot.  It works fine in ME and XP.  I would have thought that there wouldn't be a problem in 98SE since it still has real-mode DOS.  ME and XP don't.  98SE does have both the WDM drivers and DirectX 9.0c.  One thing I have noticed is just before the game starts (in ME and XP) the screen shows several lines of instructions.being carried out such as:

"Initializing memory......"

"Initializing mouse support......."

"Initializing sound........"

etc.

But I'm not getting that in 98SE and I'm beginning to think that this is where the problem lies.  And have no clue as to why or how to fix that other than when I right click on the executable and click on properties and go to the program tab and click on Advanced it says that there is no EMS memory loaded but that there is XMS memory.  No idea if EMS memory is required to carry out those intructions or why Windows doesn't automatically do that (if that is required).  Have been looking into Config.sys file parameters as my Config.Sys file is empty of any entries.  I know DOS uses Config.Sys and Autoexec.Bat but does 98SE use it too when in Windows?  I thought it didn't.