Okay, let's discuss how to get rid of these processes...

NoelC

i am not using action and notification center, i am not using windows update since i dont need unstable system, and i am currently using settings app just to capture registry changes for settings i change

Forgot to mention about disabling sihost.exe, i noticed that disabling it breaks Show Desktop button so something like this will be needed for Show desktop to work with sihost disabled:

#NoEnv  ; #NoTrayIcon  ; SetBatchLines -1ListLines OffSendMode InputSetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%SetWinDelay, -1SetTitleMatchMode, 3line := 0~LButton::    MouseGetPos,,,, control    If ( control == "TrayShowDesktopButtonWClass1" )        {            if ( line == "0" )              {               WinMinimizeAll ;               line := 1              }            else              {               WinMinimizeAllUndo ;               line := 0              }        }return
Edited by NikolaS92

Will this eliminate mobsync.exe and runtimebroker.exe from starting at login?

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00; Disable Runtime Broker Autorun[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\RuntimeBroker.exe][-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\runtimebroker.exe][-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160}][-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WOW6432Node\AppID\RuntimeBroker.exe][-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{49E561B1-1091-4E65-98A0-AFCA4996CD1D}][-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{49E561B1-1091-4E65-98A0-AFCA4996CD1D}][-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\runtimebroker.exe][-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\runtimebroker.exe]; Disable Mobsync Autorun[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{1A1F4206-0688-4E7F-BE03-D82EC69DF9A5}][-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{1202DB60-1DAC-42C5-AED5-1ABDD432248E}][-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{6295DF2D-35EE-11D1-8707-00C04FD93327}][-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{69F9CB25-25E2-4BE1-AB8F-07AA7CB535E8}][-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{8D8B8E30-C451-421B-8553-D2976AFA648C}][-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B8558612-DF5E-4F95-BB81-8E910B327FB2}][-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{C947D50F-378E-4FF6-8835-FCB50305244D}][-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WOW6432Node\CLSID\{1A1F4206-0688-4E7F-BE03-D82EC69DF9A5}][-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WOW6432Node\CLSID\{1202DB60-1DAC-42C5-AED5-1ABDD432248E}][-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WOW6432Node\CLSID\{6295DF2D-35EE-11D1-8707-00C04FD93327}][-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WOW6432Node\CLSID\{69F9CB25-25E2-4BE1-AB8F-07AA7CB535E8}][-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WOW6432Node\CLSID\{8D8B8E30-C451-421B-8553-D2976AFA648C}][-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WOW6432Node\CLSID\{B8558612-DF5E-4F95-BB81-8E910B327FB2}][-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WOW6432Node\CLSID\{C947D50F-378E-4FF6-8835-FCB50305244D}][-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\RADAR\HeapLeakDetection\ReflectionApplications\mobsync.exe][-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\RADAR\HeapLeakDetection\ReflectionApplications\mobsync.exe]
Edited by NikolaS92

Are you seeing these 7 processes in Task Manager?

I can only see RunTimeBroker.exe here.

I used Windows 10 Lite (Better Privacy) during install.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/windows-10-lite/?source=navbar

At this point of those 7 I still have these 4 remaining:

RunTimeBroker.exe

ShellExperienceHost.exe

sihost.exe

taskhostw.exe

You're running without sihost.exe?  If so, do you see notifications?  Can you run the Settings App to initiate a Windows Update?

Each person clearly has a level of functionality they expect.  A Win 10 system without the ability to run Windows Update is acceptable to me, and though notifications may be few I do expect some working method for the system or other applications to notify me of things.

To be viable it seems to me a tweaked Win 10 system needs to be as functional as - nay, better than - a well-tweaked Win 7 or 8.1 system.  Otherwise, what's the point?  I suppose a system optimized for nothing other than running DirectX 12 games - assuming one ever comes out - might be useful for some. 

I haven't seen Mobsync since I can recall looking, and I have never deleted all those registry keys.  Perhaps it has to do with something else I've deconfigured or removed.

What doesn't work with RuntimeBroker hacked out of the system by deleting all those registry keys?  I'll have to try some experiments.  Such information could be useful to Win 8.1 users as well.

-Noel

See post #63.  Also:

Apps20151231.png

It's not that it's all that much, but why would I want stuff like sihost.exe, RunTimeBroker.exe, SystemSettingsBroker.exe, and ShellExperienceHost.exe hanging around if I have no interest in Modern Apps and only very rarely run Settings?  Why do I need ApplicationFrameHost.exe and SystemSettings.exe hanging around after running Settings?  I actually like having my system resources available for doing things I want to do.

The only thing I ever use Settings for is to initiate a Windows Update, and a workable alternative to the Action / Notification Center slide-out would be welcome.  I have no love for XAML-based stuff, because it's clearly sluggish.

Every time I go through this thought process I ultimately land on "keep running the older system I have now, which is perfectly functional", and so that's what I'm doing - for now.  Win 10 does nothing new that I want or need, and it does some things much worse.  But that doesn't mean I don't want to keep on top of how it works, inside and out.

Trouble is, Microsoft is clearly going to make it harder and harder to hold back and continue to run an older Windows release.  As it is now, most days I run a well-tweaked Win 10 inside a VMware virtual machine in order to keep familiar, and I'm always looking for more tweaks.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Just wanted to check about disabling sihost.exe, is this enough to change to disable it?

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]"EnableSIHostIntegration"=dword:00000000"ShellInfrastructure"="explorer.exe"

Using that on LTSB I get this

KXPBYzQ.png

i havent tried what happens when changing only that key, but with all other tweaks i use and local account i dont get any error message on logon (Windows 10 enterprise Current Branch)

Edited by NikolaS92

I have to ask:  Is it reasonable to run Windows 10 without doing any Windows Updates? 

Assuming you still download and install an ISO every 4 months when they release a new "major build", wouldn't you then be using the least stable version possible?  The one right out of the development chute?

I admit, the idea of having a system that's unchanging for 4 months at a time does have some merit (though it ought to be years, not months).  But there would be those who would say you're going to be vulnerable to things like zero-day threats when badware writers discover vulnerabilities.

Microsoft appears to be releasing software that's less perfect/stable than ever on these 4 month intervals.  They're NOT like the Service Packs of old.

The whole idea of the business delay (waiting to get builds for an additional 3 months) seems to have merit, but do you get a new ISO then or just the same one the hapless public installed 3 months earlier plus a bunch of Windows Updates?

MaxXPsoft, what benefit do you get from running the LTSB?  Besides avoiding the forced in-place upgrade every 4 months I mean.  DirectX 12 support?  That's the only feature I've heard anyone tout that's available exclusively in Win 10.

-Noel

MaxXPsoft, what benefit do you get from running the LTSB?  Besides avoiding the forced in-place upgrade every 4 months I mean.  DirectX 12 support?  That's the only feature I've heard anyone tout that's available exclusively in Win 10.

Looking at the differences between that and stripped Pro. reg, dirs and so on

Corps not gonna allow telemetry

OK, understood.  The telemetry (and other unwanted comms) I block another way.

My (probably twisted) logic goes something like this:

Win 10 is a whole new approach to Microsoft doing an OS.  As such, it's kind of lame to start with.  Okay, quite lame.

Will they get their footing?  Probably.  They're so rich they could keep the lights on for a rather long time just playing around to see what works and what doesn't.  When they do get their footing they may well make a new OS that actually DOES deliver additional value over anything we've seen so far.  THAT will be the one we will want to use every day.

But we're not going to get THAT one unless we keep up with what they're doing.  Thus it seems like in order to adopt Win 10 you kind of HAVE to stay up to date.  If you're just looking for long-term stability, Win 8.1 or even 7 seems the better choice. 

I have found no new value at all in the Apps, I honestly haven't been able to detect better performance or stability in it, and I can run it for curiosity and testing puposes in a virtual machine, so again I wonder:  What new value is there in adopting Win 10 for everything else?

In my case - and I suspect that of many others - I'll be running 8.1 / 7 on my systems as long as doing so remains viable, until Win 10 actually overtakes it.  There's simply no one reason - or even combination of reasons - compelling the use of Win 10 yet.  Let Microsoft get this "reset" out of their system and start building new value back up before changing.

It's fun and all to learn what makes Win 10 (and the new Microsoft) tick - and I'm right here for that.  But hanging my hat on it?  Not yet.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Are you seeing these 7 processes in Task Manager?

I can only see RunTimeBroker.exe here.

I used Windows 10 Lite (Better Privacy) during install.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/windows-10-lite/?source=navbar

At this point of those 7 I still have these 4 remaining:

RunTimeBroker.exe

ShellExperienceHost.exe

sihost.exe

taskhostw.exe

You're running without sihost.exe?  If so, do you see notifications?  Can you run the Settings App to initiate a Windows Update?

Each person clearly has a level of functionality they expect.  A Win 10 system without the ability to run Windows Update is acceptable to me, and though notifications may be few I do expect some working method for the system or other applications to notify me of things.

To be viable it seems to me a tweaked Win 10 system needs to be as functional as - nay, better than - a well-tweaked Win 7 or 8.1 system.  Otherwise, what's the point?  I suppose a system optimized for nothing other than running DirectX 12 games - assuming one ever comes out - might be useful for some. 

I haven't seen Mobsync since I can recall looking, and I have never deleted all those registry keys.  Perhaps it has to do with something else I've deconfigured or removed.

What doesn't work with RuntimeBroker hacked out of the system by deleting all those registry keys?  I'll have to try some experiments.  Such information could be useful to Win 8.1 users as well.

-Noel

taskhostw.exe is part of task scheduler. it only runs on my system when there's an active task.

i also tried disabling the other processes but they caused various probs.

i also have ApplicationFrameHost.exe & fontdrvhost.exe running at all times, the first one seems to be for the settings app but not sure what the other one is doing, other than something font related.

when i killed runtimebroker it stopped the settings app from working.

Yes, taskhostw.exe should exit after stopping the following tasks (I have them all disabled on my computer):

• Multimedia\SystemSoundsService (redirected emulator for the PC Beep function; never missed it being off, although I do miss the physical PC speaker on PCs, and the old beep.sys that would make the PC speaker on existing PCs still function.  Was very useful for alarms when the speakers were off, headphones plugged in, or the volume muted).
  • TextServicesFramework\MsCtfMonitor (not sure that it does anything on a single-language system; I've never missed it being off).
  • Wininet\CacheTask (never missed it being off; but I use Firefox for my web browsing and it uses its own web and DNS cache mechanisms).

If there's a second instance of taskhostw.exe, it is probably caused by the following task:

• WDI\ResolutionHost (has to do with the Diagnostic Policy Service).

Wait. . . they were all running on my Windows 10 computer even though I had them disabled!  What?!  If disabling tasks won't reliably stop them from executing, I'll move up to deleting them.  :realmad: