Which post-SP3 patch is best?

technoid

Sorry I'm late to the table here...  I still use XP on my main "oldish" laptop.  However, because I had to get rid of my broadband a few years ago, I stopped downloading/installing XP updates around 2012.  I'm mainly on modem dial-up (even as I post this) and it would've been painful downloading the updates on that.  

So the question is, is there a patch that can get my XP as updated as possible?  I have heard of Harkaz's unofficial SP4 and there is also the POSready, but are those the only two?  Obviously with POSready, I cannot do that with live uploading with my dialup, so I could probably scratch that off my list, for now.  Is the Harkaz patch only for XP Pro, or can it be used on my XP Home version?  Are there any other XP autopatchers?  And would I need to backup my current laptop drive in case something goes bad with a patcher?

I see there really aren't any threads Pinned up top about this matter, which I thought would be important to keep up there. 

My laptop specs:  Pentium 4 (2.0-2.3GHz) with 1.0GB max DDR, specifically a model HP Pavilion ze5001US.    

O/S:  Windows XP Home Edition with SP3, stopped doing automatic updates somewhere in 2012 as I mentioned above. 

Would love to see your recommendations, thanks.

That's because Update Packs get linked to other websites that allow discussion/linking to the PROPRIETARY Updates, which MSFN is not allowed to do. Usually, the actual Packs are hosted on a server that does *NOT* recognize the U.S. laws, so you can get them.

Ther is no definitive answer to your question. RyanVM and WinCert both have variations that may or may not include all kinds of "optional goodies" that may or may not bust the CD Size Limit, forcing one to use a DVD.

An alternative is http://xdot.tk Downloader (has a couple of extremely minor bugs) that is *stricltly* Critical Updates up to EOL. If you choose to use it, I'll inform you of the "bug corrections".

All others will (usually) have to be discussed at the associated Forum for any "bugs" encountered.

HTH