Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Should I overclock my i5 3570k?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts
  • Joined 31-May 05

I have a Ivy i5 3570k which I guess is a pretty good CPU for overclocking. 

I have the Turbo boost thing set at 4ghz, but I don't know if it even does anything. I find it all very confusing. 

Is it better to overclock the cpu and disable turbo boost? Which would be faster? permanently overclocked at 3.8ghz/4ghz or stock 3.4ghz with boost at 4ghz? 

I have a Asus P8Z77-V LK motherboard, XMP supported memory and a Corsair 650M psu. Also I use a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo. I think my cooling and setup can hand a overclock at 3.8ghz or even 4ghz. My CPU runs around 27c idol and if I'm making it work..it gets up to about 33-35c. Even on a hot summer day, I haven't seen it get pass 37c. 

But I really don't know what I'm doing. I managed to suscfully get it at 3.5ghz by bumping up the BCLK but anymore than that it fails and I gotta hit the button on the motherboard to reset it. 

If someone can help me to get it running stable at 3.8ghz or 4ghz if you think its safe and with out having turbo boost mode enabled, I would really appreciate it.  

There is so many controls and I don't know what 80% of them do and there is just not that many tuts available on this particular setup. There are videos showing people overclocking it to like 4.7ghz, but its just turbo boost! Not an actual overclock. 

Desktop: Intel Core i5-3570K @ 3.4ghz || G. Skill Ripjaws 16GB DDR3 2133 || ASUS P8Z77-V LK || EVGA GeForce GTX-750 Ti SC 2GB || 128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD || 2TB WD Black SATA3 HDD || Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO || Corsair TX650M || Fractal Designs Arc Midi || Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users