Downgrade Ultimate to Professional

epic

I've attempted to downgrade W7U to W7P, but I continue receiving an error claiming it cannot continue with setup. Though, I was able to downgrade W7U to W7HP by completing the same EXACT steps as I had while attempting to downgrade from W7U to W7P. That's so annoying! The steps included modifying something within the setup package and the current windows registry. Now, after the downgrade to W7HP .... it will not upgrade to W7P, I receive the same EXACT message claiming it cannot complete!

I forgot the exact message, since I was doing this a couple weeks ago. I felt inclined to post now because I'm ditching W8 and despise W10. (*offtopic: Microslum must really want their customers to move to Linux based systems!) The error was something like "Windows cannot complete the setup from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium... etc.. etc..." I'll have another go at it when I have time, and post the exact error during setup. If anyone has any suggestions, or knows the issue, please let me know.

This was done on an image to make sure everything had completed sucessfully before reimaging the system.

Edited by epic

Rolled back to a later clone so the system is now back to W7U. The following error displays: "Windows 7 Ultimate cannot be upgraded to Windows 7 Professional. You can choose to install a new copy of Windows 7 Professional instead, but this is different from an upgrade, and does not keep your files, settings, and programs. You’ll need to reinstall any programs using the original installation discs or files. To save your files before installing Windows, back them up to an external location such as a CD, DVD, or external hard drive. To install a new copy of Windows 7 Professional, click the Back button in the upper left-hand corner, and select “Custom (advanced)”."

The above error displays while attempting to downgrade from W7U to W7P, but it will NOT display when downgrading from W7U to W7HP. While "upgrading" to Windows 7 Home Premium, which is not the objective, the "upgrade" process will continue through checking compatibility then it'll start migrating the system. However, when attempting the later, setup will not even begin checking for compatibility, rather go straight to the above error.

Edited by epic

Windows isn't designed to go down edition, but only up edition.

Then tell me how a user can, but cannot "go down edition" according to you, downgrade from W7U to W7HP?!

There are also posts on Microslum support pages claiming that W7U can downgrade to W7P!

Maybe the OP wants less features? :huh::crazy:

Not so much less features, just the ability to downgrade a licensed machine from W7U to W7P so I can image and license my other machine without having to reinstall everything.

Edited by epic

Now, after "upgrading" downgrading to W7HP and when I attempt to "upgrade" to W7P... I receive the following error:

Windows 7 Home Premium cannot be upgraded to Windows 7 Professional. You can choose to install a new copy of Windows 7 Professional instead, but this is different from an upgrade, and does not keep your files, settings, and programs. You’ll need to reinstall any programs using the original installation discs or files. To save your files before installing Windows, back them up to an external location such as a CD, DVD, or external hard drive. To install a new copy of Windows 7 Professional, click the Back button in the upper left-hand corner, and select “Custom (advanced)”.

A "fresh" install is not the objective, nor be told that I have to install fresh. I'm attempting to Upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional.

Windows isn't designed to go down edition, but only up edition.

Then tell me how a user can, but cannot "go down edition" according to you, downgrade from W7U to W7HP?!

There is a difference between what is designed/intended and what is physically/technically possible. :rolleyes:

Though your answer has logic going from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 7 Professional, but doesn't explain why it's not allowing an upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional.

Edited by dencorso

There must be a way to clear any entries that were related to Ultimate... if they even do exist, still it's a step in the correct direction and may not be easy.

Also, as previously noted... I have valid licenses for all versions of Windows. I read so many posts about licenses etc... etc, and so many people/guppies out there micromanaging Microslum. It's completely irrelevant and frankly no one's business.

Edited by epic