98SE MS updates

justacruzr2

Riched20.dll is not an ActiveX/COM server. It can't be registered/unregistered with regsvr32.exe. It can be registered/unregistered as a type library however and this must be done with regtlib.exe. Registration of riched20.dll as a type library does not appear to be necessary to use it without issues in most cases as far as I can see.

As long as I've got you here, I'm assuming your avatar is because you have/play Doom95.  Do you have it on a 98se system?  And if so what did you have to do to get sound from it?  Mine runs but has no sound even after doing the Windows Audio uodates (Kmixer, wdmaud, etc).  Runs and has sound in my ME system and I'm using the same Config file in both since they (98se & ME) share the same motherboard.  I see that others have had this same problem as well but none of the advice has made a difference.

You may be right, I just looked at the Activex/OCX tab offered by the FileInfo plug-in in Total Commander, without actually checking whether registration is available. My bad!

However, I see:

dispinterface ITextDocument

dispinterface ITextRange

dispinterface ITextSelection

dispinterface ITextFont

dispinterface ITextPara

dispinterface ITextStoryRanges

as references and typedefs for a tom library, that would suggest a COM interface.

I'm not familiar with COM though.

Saw that too as the default value of the typelib key for riched20.dll.  Thought that was funny until I read your reply and see that it's related to a COM interface.

As long as I've got you here, I'm assuming your avatar is because you have/play Doom95.  Do you have it on a 98se system?  And if so what did you have to do to get sound from it?  Mine runs but has no sound even after doing the Windows Audio uodates (Kmixer, wdmaud, etc).  Runs and has sound in my ME system and I'm using the same Config file in both since they (98se & ME) share the same motherboard.  I see that others have had this same problem as well but none of the advice has made a difference.

I use ZDoom mostly, sometimes GZDoom or Zandronum for level sets that specifically require either of them. I know nothing about running  Doom95 on either 98 or ME, there is no point to it IMO with all the modern engines that are out there.

Speaking of avatars, I am assuming you must be into Hawkwind music quite a bit....  ;)

I use ZDoom mostly, sometimes GZDoom or Zandronum for level sets that specifically require either of them. I know nothing about running  Doom95 on either 98 or ME, there is no point to it IMO with all the modern engines that are out there.

Speaking of avatars, I am assuming you must be into Hawkwind music quite a bit....  ;)

Re:  Doom.  Thanks....I'll figure it out some day.  Don't understand why it should play fine on 95 & ME but not 98.  Hmmmmmm.....  As for Hawkwind, The first time I heard it was back in the mid 70's.  I had a friend who liked to go thru the import section at the record store (remember those?).  Do you like them too?  I'm not really "into" them any more or less than any other bands that I like but I do like them.  My favorite albums are the first 5 they made with the 2nd, 3rd & fourth being the ones I like best.  After the 5th album they changed because they lost the guy who really gave them their sound.  Can't remember his name right now.  He also made an album on his own called Captain Lockheed & the Starfighters.  Have that one too.  The avatar is from the album cover of In Search of Space which is a pretty cool album cover and probably the album I like the best with Doremi Fasol Latido 2nd.  If you remember the song Spacelord by Monster Magnet, he admitted that song is heavily influenced by Hawkwind.

Do you like them too?

After the 5th album they changed because they lost the guy who really gave them their sound.  Can't remember his name right now.  He also made an album on his own called Captain Lockheed & the Starfighters.  

You must probably be confusing Lemmy (of later Motorhead fame) with Bob Calvert here. Lemmy leaves after the fifth studio album and Bob Calvert joins for the next four ones.  Sorry but you do not pass your degree in hawkwindology... ;)

Yeah I do like them a lot, my collection of Hawkwind and solo/spin-off recordings counts in the hundreds of pieces... (I must be mad :w00t: )

Sorry for drifting  off topic that much guys...   :angel

Do you like them too?

After the 5th album they changed because they lost the guy who really gave them their sound.  Can't remember his name right now.  He also made an album on his own called Captain Lockheed & the Starfighters.  

You must probably be confusing Lemmy (of later Motorhead fame) with Bob Calvert here. Lemmy leaves after the fifth studio album and Bob Calvert joins for the next four ones.  Sorry but you do not pass your degree in hawkwindology... ;)

Yeah I do like them a lot, my collection of Hawkwind and solo/spin-off recordings counts in the hundreds of pieces... (I must be mad :w00t: )

Sorry for drifting  off topic that much guys...   :angel

Yea, you're right.  I was thinking of Bob Calvert.  He did leave the group for 2 albums if I'm not mistaken.  LOL on the hawkwindology degree.  Am I bad?  Didn't realize they produced so many pieces.  And my apologies for drifting off too.  We should probably stop now before we get reprimanded.  You're welcome to continue this discussion in private messages.

@ Drugwash

Thanks for your help and comments.

New Question:

Is there a way to trigger a complete re-read of the security catalogs in System\Catroot.  I've noticed that when an update puts a new security catalog in Catroot, that catalog is added to CATMAST and HASHMAST but can a complete re-read of all the catalogs currently in Catroot be done?  I had to back out of 1 update because it didn't work but uninstalling it does not remove the catalog entry in CATMAST and HASHMAST.  Just curious.

Not just "Updates" but also Hardware.

And (sorry) I don't know how, but, jeez, they're so small... why bother?

Because I had an update that went badly the CATMAST and HASHMAST files now included catalogs that are no longer out there.  Plus a few updates put 2 catalogs out there; 1 for Gold and 1 for SE and I deleted the Gold catalogs.  Just didn't want a problem in the future when something goes out to check for a catalog and it's not there.  If that isn't a problem then OK.

The update that went badly was the Dial-Up Networking update (DUN14).  It just completely duplicated everything I already had including registry entries and everytime I would restart the computer I would get the Windows has found new hardware message and it would refresh the DRVDATA and DRVIDX files and blow up.  The reason for this problem came to me in a dream last night (seriously).  I had already done that update but it is under a different file number (not a "Q" number).  My first PC came with WinME and one of the times I was at the Windows Update website I clicked on the "Other Updates" link and downloaded a Microsoft approved modem update that was made by Conexant.  One of the first things I did after installing WinSE was to get all the hardware squared away so that was one of the updates I did.  Since my modem is a Conexant modem and the update applied to all 9x series systems I just did it without any thought about it.  Seems as though Microsoft also issued this same update under their own "Q" numbering system so I didn't make the connection.  I thought it was for something other than a modem driver update.  So basically DUN14 is just a modem driver update.

Now for "HARDWARE".  If your talking about the DRVDATA and DRVIDX files, they are completely refreshed everytime there's a change in what's in Windows\Inf so they will always only contain what is currently in Inf.  If your talking about HWINFO.EXE,  HWINFO.DAT is completely refreshed everytime you run System Information from the Control Panel.  So those 2 should always contain the most current and correct info.  I originally thought that CATMAST and HASHMAST operated the same way but apparently not.  Thought maybe there was a way to completely refresh them too.

First I need to correct my statement above.  It didn't come to me in a dream...it came to me as I was waking up.  Bad choice of words.  However, I was also mistaken about DUN14.  It is something different than a modem update.  I did some further checking in the registry and found that Windows had created a second subkey in Enum\USB for one of the flash drives that are on my system.  That was why it was crashing on startup.  Why it did that I'm not sure but it may have done that as a result of the many USB updates that Win98se gets and something about DUN14 triggered it to start complaining about it.  Anyway, with that key deleted it now starts up fine.  And I will try reinstalling the DUN14 update again.

And I also did some checking on the web for an answer to how to refresh the CATMAST and HASHMAST files.  Didn't find an exact answer but may have found a possibility.  Seems that there are many who have asked this question as it is even more critical when you get into XP and above with Windows Authentication.  With 98se and ME it's more a matter of SFC and SFP.  Anyway, many felt that SUCATREG.EXE is probably the module that does this maintenance with the catalogs in CATROOT.  I did some checking of the setup INF's for the updates that put a catalog out there in CATROOT and saw no call to SUCATREG.EXE, or any other module, to update the CATMAST and HASHMAST files.  Yet the install reports shows that the CATMAST and HASHMAST files have been updated during the install if a new catalog is placed in CATROOT.  So I'm thinking that as part of the way the operating system is written, SUCATREG.EXE (or another module) is loaded into memory at startup and monitors activity in the CATROOT folder.  So it seems that it might be possible to refresh those files by moving them to another location along with the catalogs and then moving the catalogs back again one at a time.  I'm going to test this theory when I get some extra time to fiddle around.

This is just a follow up to my last post

1). This is quoted from the website that I found some possible info on how to refresh the CATMAST and HASHMAST files:

"Incidentally I still don't think we have entirely solved the problem and
that the real solution, rather than renaming the catroot folder, is to
establish how to regenerate the catmast and hashmast files contained in
the catroot folder. This is probably done by running sucatreg.exe It
could then be as simple as deleting the damaged cat file and regenerating
the catmast and hashmast files. A little more experimentation is still
required."

However, upon further investigation, I don't think that is the answer.  I used a hex editor program and loaded up a Csetup.exe file from one of the updates.  Almost all of them have one.  Here is part of what I found:

ÿÿÿÿw.@.Ž.@.....CAT File registration program...j.ÿ.ìP@.hP5@.j.j.ÿ.èP@.…Àt.ÿ.ä

and

.............SimpleMindedCSetup..*.cat...CryptCATAdminReleaseContext.CryptCATAdminReleaseCatalogContext..

CryptCATCatalogInfoFromContext..CryptCATAdminAddCatalog.CryptCATAdminAcquireContext.MSCAT32.DLL...........@.runtime error..

It looks as though, from this, that CSETUP is what handles the catalog registration using, at least, MSCAT32.DLL for assistance.  It may be possible to use this by listing all the catalogs in CATROOT in the setup INF file and tricking CSETUP into thinking that all those catalogs are part of the update.  It's an interesting idea that I will try some time.

2). q285189 (5/10/2001) - 459kb - Windows 98SE Dial-Up Networking Upgrade v1.4.  All the files in this update are dated 4/23/99 and are the same exact size as all the same files that come with 98se and are already on my computer from the initial install so this update must be for 98fe.

3). The ME modem update I mentioned above is Windows update 1003775 which I have.  It's a cab file and in it is the familiar Microsoft self extracting executable signed by Microsoft.  If anyone would like a copy of this, for perhaps inclusion in a ME update package, just let me know.

3). Somebody changed the "Q" number on the q314941 update.  It's just q314757 for ME in disguise.  When you run it you get the "This update is intended for a different version of Windows" message and the update aborts.  Opened it up in WinZip and extracted it and found that all the files have version 4.90.3003 on them.  Then looked at my collection of ME updates and found that it was the same as q314757.  As it is, it will not install on anything but WinME.

4).  This is a new question.  If you are not running on a network then it's not necessary to install the q315575 DCOM update correct?

Edited by justacruzr2

:crazy:

Um...NO! "q314941" may have those versions, but it is SPECIFICALLY for Win98!From the INF -

; This is the Setup information file to install the Windows 98 Q314941 update.
; This train-wreck of an INF file modified by soporific.
So, it had a "problem" and you're ignoring stuff by simply looking at Versions of the files. ;)

In addition, there *ARE* CAT-files for Hardware Drivers, not just Software. You'' find that these also relate to Driver Signing.

Finally, DUN has absolutely nothing to do with Modem Drivers. And "q285189 (5/10/2001)" is absolutely NEWER than what's provided with 98SE. If you do a binary compare, you *will* find they are DIFFERENT! Trust me on this. There's even a Topic about MS' stupid version schema that "fools" you, even to the point of having an older Version# for a NEWER file! :w00t:

Side note: Here, also, is that HSF Modem CAB file for WinME.

http://driverzone.com/%7B053f0556-8540-44cd-a02a-32ae26623425%7D

BTW, I have (and had, now recycled) many a Conexant (and ZOOM, CommWave, PCTel, ...) Modem and have quite a collection of old Drivers. "If anyone needs them". ;)

Hi Submix8c.  Thanks for your reply.  I was about to post an addendum to my previous post when I saw that you replied.

Um...NO! "q314941" may have those versions, but it is SPECIFICALLY for Win98!From the INF -

; This is the Setup information file to install the Windows 98 Q314941 update.
; This train-wreck of an INF file modified by soporific.

So, it had a "problem" and you're ignoring stuff by simply looking at Versions of the files.

No...what I am doing is investigating when I run into a problem.  The setup file is a good place to start.  Additionally yesterday when I had a little extra time I pulled the q314941 update out of the AutoPatcher utility and saw that it had been modified.  This was not the version of 314941 that I ran.  Most of the updates I obtained from the links in the "Monster List" that were still good.  The remaining few that I didn't have came from the AutoPatcher utility.  This is probably what happened with the q314941 update....it came from the link in the "Monster List".  I also now have the original Microsoft q314941 update since that is still available from Microsoft on the KB314941 support web page.  Part of what I do when I prepare to run an update is check to see if the files to be updated exist on my 98 system.  This is to avoid wasting time running an update that will do nothing if you don't already have existing files.  Found that out from a previous update that is mentioned above in one of my posts.  What I found was that they didn't and it occurred to me that 98 didn't come with UPnP.  The kb314941 web page at Microsoft's Support website confirmed this.  Here is an excerpt from that page:

"Computers can use the Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) service to discover and use network-based devices. Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me) and Microsoft Windows XP include UPnP services, but Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition do not. However, the UPnP service can be installed on a Windows 98-based or Windows 98 Second Edition-based computer by installing the Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) client that is included with Windows XP."

Further

"Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition

There is no built-in UPnP support for these operating systems. Windows 98-based or Windows 98
  Second Edition-based computers would only be affected if the ICS client from Windows XP had
  been installed on the computer.  If you do not have the Windows XP ICS client installed on your
  Windows 98 or Windows 98 Second Edition computer, you receive the following error message when
  you attempt to apply this patch:

This update is not designed for your version of Windows.

Windows 98-based or Windows 98 Second Edition-based computers that have installed the ICS
  client from a Windows XP-based computer that has already applied this patch are not vulnerable."

So it seems that to properly run this update (the original MS one), one needs to install the Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) client that is included with Windows XP.  I realize that the setup inf for this update was modified to bypass that and will work but I am also thinking why not install the ICS from XP and do it that way as well.  Of Course, if you're not on a network you really don't need UPnP as per above Microsoft statement.

Re: HARDWARE

Yes.  But I didn't know exactly what you were talking about.  Since we were discussing refreshing the CATMAST and HASMAST files I assumed you were talking about the HWINFO.DAT, DRVDATA and DRVIDX files.

Re: DUN14

I had already realized that and mentioned that in a previous post (see above):

"However, I was also mistaken about DUN14.  It is something different than a modem update."

I will try running that again late after I backup what I've already done.  Didn't know about this:

"There's even a Topic about MS' stupid version schema that "fools" you, even to the point of having an older Version# for a NEWER file!"

Re: 1003775

"Side note: Here, also, is that HSF Modem CAB file for WinME.  "

According to the text file included in the cab by Conexant, those drivers are general purpose and should work with any modem.