Google Wants To Control Your Mind - Good or Bad ?

Monroe

The Google freak show continues ... we have a Google's self-driving car crashing with injuries.

Google's self-driving car has achieved a notable first, though not one it was eager for - its first accident with injuries.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/17/autos/google-self-driving-car-injury-accident/

Fortunately, the injuries were minor, according to the company. And Google insists that like all the other accidents in its self-driving car program, it was the fault of humans, not the self-driving car.

We have the every Email and details being forever saved somewhere.

Now they want to deliver things using drones ... as Amazon is doing ... good thing, bad thing ... I'm not sure ... maybe as long as there is no "spying" along the way.

Google Wants to Use Drones Too, but Not in the Same Way As Amazon

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/10/24/google-wants-to-use-drones-too-but-not-in-the-same.aspx

So now Google wants to get into a person's head to fix it ... probably sounds good but it also sounds like a form of possible "mind control" ... it may start off with good intentions but will it be used one day to control how people vote, if they are against some hot button issue such as climate change / global warming ... I can see this being a very dangerous thing in the future.

Google wants to monitor your mental health. You should welcome it into your mind.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/11961415/Google-wants-to-monitor-your-mental-health.-You-should-welcome-it-into-your-mind.html

28 Oct 2015

Next week, Dr Tom Insel leaves his post as head of the US National Institute of Mental Health, a job that made him America’s top mental health doctor. Dr Insel is a neuroscientist and a psychiatrist and a leading authority on both the medicine and public policies needed to deal with problems of the mind. He’s 64 but he’s not retiring. He’s going to work for Google.

More precisely, he’s going to work for Google Life Sciences, one of the more exotic provinces of the online empire. He’s going to investigate how technology can help diagnose and treat mental health conditions. Google doesn’t just want to read your mind, it wants to fix it too.

It’s not alone. Apple, IBM and Intel are among technology companies exploring the same field. IBM this year carried out research with Columbia University that suggested computer analysis of speech patterns can more accurately predict the onset of psychosis than conventional tests involving blood samples or brain scans. Other researchers theorise that a person’s internet search history or even shopping habits (so handily recorded by your innocuous loyalty card) can identify the first signs of mental illness. Computers can now tell when something is about to go terribly wrong in someone’s mind.

Where does it end with this company ... they sure have "expanded" from many years ago when G-Mail first started.

Edited by monroe

Reading this yesterday about Google balloons around the Earth ... good or bad, sounds OK but will they also spy on people ... gathering up information.

Google's Project Loon internet balloons to circle Earth

28 October 2015

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-34660205

Google believes it is on course to have enough internet-beaming balloons in the stratosphere to form a ring over part of the world next year.

It told the BBC the move would let it trial a continuous data service to people living below the balloons' path.

The declaration coincides with the announcement that three of Indonesia's mobile networks intend to start testing Project Loon's transmissions next year.

One expert said the plan had benefits over other solutions.

Sri Lanka previously signed a separate agreement signalling its wish to be another participant in the giant helium balloon-based scheme.

4G-like speeds

Google first revealed its superpressure balloon plan in June 2013, when about 30 of the inflatable plastic "envelopes" were launched from New Zealand.

OK ... the sheer number of these balloons is huge ... I thought I had read that there would be 300 balloons around the entire globe but these numbers are just for one area - country.

Google To Put 20,000 Internet Balloons In Indonesian Skies

October 29, 2015

http://www.valuewalk.com/2015/10/google-20000-balloon-indonesian/

Google is making sincere efforts to make the internet available in deprived areas using its large party balloons that fall under its Project Loon. The company released 20 balloons over Australia and now has plans of putting 20,000 such balloons over Indonesia to provide internet in remote areas.

... then there is this with the balloons ... it could happen a lot with thousands of balloons everywhere.

Neighbors Shocked When Giant Google Balloon Falls From Sky Onto Quiet SoCal Street

September 12, 2015

MOUNTAIN VIEW (CBS) — A giant Google research balloon caused quite a shock for some Southern California neighbors when it fell out of the sky onto a quiet street in Chino Hills.

The fifty foot balloon crash-landed in a palm tree.

Janet Olaffson didn’t realize it had fallen in her front yard until she got a knock on the door from the local sheriff’s deputies.

“We ran out, and the police said don’t go near it,” she said. “At that time they had got a call from the company that said it’s a weather balloon,” said Olaffson.

Curious neighbors came to see it by the droves — driving by, snapping photos. Rumors began to circulate. Some speculated it was a weather balloon traveling from Las Vegas to Japan.

In fact, the orb that fell from the sky belongs to Project Loon. It’s part of a research and development idea to deliver 3-G Internet access. Mountain View-based Google launched the project in partnership with the government of Sri Lanka.

The goal is for these high altitude balloons — called Loon Balloons — to someday transmit signals to people all over the world, so people can “Google” from anywhere, including Chino hills.

But according to Google, the Loon Balloon was supposed to land nearby — not at Olaffson’s house.

Fortunately, no one was hurt.

... this seems to be some project, what would be the cost to maintain thousands of balloons, if that's the number.

zzzzz flying car, flying car, did somebody said a flying car. There was one built in the 1980's and another one made out of a giant balloon. Flying car anybody said a flying car..

Also that article made no sense "and the two in front of it,". Nothing was blocking anybody and a person plowed into the next car, trying to get them to move. Obviously the Self-driving car is duh win. Why not release the Jhonny cab from "Total Recall already" and stop bsing us with this self driving car rubbish.

Edited by ROTS

Yes ... the Johnny Cab! That's one of the highlights of the movie, at least to me ... along with Sharon Stone. Also, the film was both "minature" and "CGI" (Computer Generated). I pretty much hate CGI being used today.

"This was one of the last major Hollywood blockbusters to make large-scale use of miniature effects as opposed to CGI. It was also one of the first major Hollywood blockbusters to use CGI (mainly for the scenes involving the X-Ray scanner) and have it look "photo-real".

10 Amazing Things You Didn't Know About TOTAL RECALL

http://www.thegeektwins.com/2013/11/10-amazing-things-you-didnt-know-about.html

The Doctor is Johnny Cab - "Please state the nature of the driving emergency." That's what the robot taxi should have said, because it was played by the Doctor from Star Trek Voyager. Robert Picardo played the voice and his face was used as the model for Johnny Cab.

By the way, the song Johnny Cab is whistling is the Norwegian national anthem...for no reason.

Some additional trivia:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100802/trivia

This was one of the last major Hollywood blockbusters to make large-scale use of miniature effects as opposed to CGI. It was also one of the first major Hollywood blockbusters to use CGI (mainly for the scenes involving the X-Ray scanner) and have it look "photo-real".

All of the crew fell ill due to food poisoning during production, with the exception of Arnold Schwarzenegger and Ronald Shusett. Schwarzenegger escaped because he always had his food catered from the US. This was because three years earlier, he had fallen ill due to drinking tap water in Mexico during production of Predator (1987). As for Shusett, he took extreme health precautions, such as only brushing his teeth with boiled or bottled water and insisting on getting a weekly vitamin B12 shot. Shusett was even mocked by the crew until they all got sick themselves.

... here is more detail how Johhny Cab or Johnnycab came to be.

The futuristic cars of Total Recall, behind the scenes

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2010/02/03/the-futuristic-cars-of-total-recall/

I worked at a make-up shop that did the Robot inside the cab. All of us at the shop only knew it as Johnnycab (not describing the whole car and everything in it). Rob Bottin of THE HOWLING, THE THING, And ALL of the make-up effects in TOTAL RECALL called me up to finish off the fiberglass chest, head, and hat of the Robot (Body shopping like a car shop using evercoat bondo). Henrey Alvarez had sculpted the chest suit and parts of the head. The head was molded off of Robert Picardo of Star Trek, The hologram medical officer. Rob loved to use his face.

Once on the job I was required to sand down, add vents(I have a chum box of parts that I pull out for detail pieces), cut the torso, add a pedestal with controls and a wide base. I normally work as a model maker and have worked on some very cool projects but this job I was a prop maker. I also got stuck having to paint him. Jim Clark (Who does the Jack-In-The-Box head for the commercials) helped me hand mix the lacquer paints for the Robot. I also had to make the hat on his head but a technician made the chaser unit.

Because I had body shopped, mixed the paints and soldered the 20 odd lights in his hat I had to go down and baby sit while they did night shots just in case he got ruffed up. During the day I was free to wander around the Studio and take pictures, I did take some shots while they were shooting at night, everyone seemed cool about it.

... more at the link.

Edited by monroe