I'm going to clone an old, beginning-to-fail hard drive for my favorite XP Pro SP3 32-bit Dell Optiplex desktop PC (146GB capacity) to a Momentus XT hybrid HD-SSD (500GB capacity).
The Momentus is Model Number: ST95005620AS, Firmware Revision: SD28, Sector size (Logical/Physical/Allignment): 512 / 512 / 0. (I think we bought this in late 2011.)
The Momentus was previously used in my wife's old and abandoned XP laptop so it is NOT "clean". It was the OS drive for her laptop and still has everything on it. I have backed it up and am willing to erase everything on the Momentus and then make it into the clone of my current, active XP desktop.
Now, here's what I'm going to do - unless you think this is a bad idea: I have a third PC running Win 7 Pro 64-bit with extra hard drive bays and SATA sockets on its motherboard. I'm going to connect BOTH my XP desktop hard drive AND the Momentus XT to the SATA 2 and 3 sockets in my Win 7 desktop.
Then I'm going to run EITHER Seagate Diskwizard in the Win 7 OR AOMEI Backupper Standard and use it to clone the XP hard drive (SATA 2) into the Momentus XT hybrid drive (SATA 3).
1) Do I have to "clean" the Momentus XT first? The Seagate DiscWizard manual seems to say the cloning will do that automatically (or prompt me to do it).
2) Will the Momentus XT clone be properly "aligned"?
a) The Seagate manual says it will be automatically "aligned" but gives no detail. (I assume my source old hard drive is NOT "aligned".)
b) AOMEI says it has a check-the-box option to "align" at 4K. Should I check it?
3) As you can see above, the sector size on the Momentus XT is now 512. I am NOT sure whether this model was actually expecting Advanced Format 4K sector size (4,096 instead of 512). What do you think?
4) Should I make any effort to make the clone as Advanced Format 4K sector size in the Momentus even though the source hard drive is probably 512? Keep in mind this will stay an XP 32-bit machine when I'm done. But if you think I should try to make the clone Advanced Format 4K sector size, how do I do that? (Is that what Aomei is saying? I think the Seagate DiscWizard is saying something else.)
5) Any other tips and advice?
6) Where else should I post this?
EDIT - Maybe Seagate (Acronis) and Aomei talk about "align" differently. Maybe Seagate (Acronis) uses "align" to mean only a particular "offset" whether or not the segment/sector size is 512 or 4K. Maybe Aomei uses "align" to mean forcing a segment/sector size of 4K but without any attention to offset. Don't know, and I don't know what I'm talking about anyway. Please discuss.
Edited by glnz, 15 November 2015 - 02:15 PM.