Windows Defender Service Couldn't Start

Drazick

Hello,

Today I restarted my computer and suddenly the desktop took time to get responsive.

After that I gor a message about Windows Defender Service Stopped.

When I try to Start it, I get the following:

EehJPVE.png

I tried 2 Anti Virus scans (Mcafee Stinger and CalmWin) which reports everything is OK.

The error code is 0x800700d8 which gave only something about Microsoft Exchange which I don;t have or not using (Have no Outlook or Outlook account).

I tried restarting the computer few times.
Got the result, desktop isn't responsive for few seconds and then the error of the Windows Defender.

What's the issue?

Thank You.

Edited by Drazick

If previously worked, and you have not in the meantime used any another AV and then removed it, then Windows is damaged and the only help is clean re-installation.

You can try to repair with Windows 10 Manager => Repair Center, but I do not believe that will get aid. This problem is familiar to me.

• 2 weeks later...

First, it's not recommended to utilize Windows Defender... use it and it's not a matter of if, but when, your system will be compromised.  Is this iteration [in Windows 10] far better than previous versions? Absolutely... but is it anywhere near good enough to utilize and be confident it will prevent malicious code, not at all.  Utilize a top rated internet security solution that offers stateful antivirus, HIPS [antimalware], sandboxing, and firewall.  I'm partial to Comodo Internet Security Pro, but choose what you like, provided whatever you choose has a rating above 98% and scores in the top 5.

Once a 3rd party internet security solution or standalone antivirus is installed, Windows Defender automatically disables itself and prevents itself from being accessed.  I've never seen the error you're getting, as it's not a normal error and implies the wrong architecture of some system files were installed, which is not possible to be done via the Windows installer.

You can try repairing the component store (WinSxS), rebooting, then running SFC, and rebooting again.  Both commands must be run from an admin terminal (command or powershell) and reboots must occur in between running both.

1st, ensure no component store corruption exists

• dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

2nd, ensure no system file corruption exists

• sfc /scannow
Edited by jmonroe0914