Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

How to make bootable USB stick with lots of good stuff on it

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

• PipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Joined 25-January 11

I bought a nice PNY USB 3.0 stick at Best Buy for $30± but I don't know how to turn it into a bootable USB with lots of stuff on it.

My fantasy is that it will be a bootable USB

(1) that will boot in

EITHER my old Optiplex 755 machine with XP Pro SP3 32-bit (with a classic MBR BIOS boot and only USB
OR my newer Optiplex 7010 machine that now dual-boots Win 7 Pro SP1 64-bit and Win 10 Pro 64-bit (with UEFI but NOT Secure Boot, and with USB 3 as well as 2), and

(2) will have lots of useful stuff on it - not only install/repair of XP Pro SP3 32-bit and Win 7 Pro 64-bit and Win 10 Pro 64-bit, but also tools like the "Create Media" versions of AOMEI Backupper, AOMEI Partition Assistant Pro, Macrium Reflect Free, EaseUS Backup, EaseUS Partition Master, etc., and

(3) as I find more tools, I can add them to this bootable USB without wiping what's already there.

Ideally its "background" OS will be a Win PE version of Win 7 32-bit with as many useful features of Win 7 as possible, like Disk Management. That would be better for me than Linux, which I have hardly ever used.

My fantasy is that I plug it into either of my two PCs, it boots, and after the Win PE 7 is running, it gives me a menu of which useful thing I want to do. (Or maybe it gives me an initial menu as to whether I want to install/repair XP, 7 or 10 or go to the second menu with tools, and if I go to the second menu, it boots into its Win PE 7 background and offers me those tools. Just guessing.)

But I haven't a clue how to get started. The more basic websites (like HowToGeek) seem to describe how to set up the USB for ONE purpose, like installing Win 7, but not as a complete bootable toolkit that gives me lots of choices. And most of the more advanced websites are too advanced. Pendrive[something].com assumes I already know about Linux, Ubuntu and how to cook roast pig, and I just ... DON'T.

Also, I have previously used this PNY stick for something (a fresh install of Win 10), found that for some reason its only usable partition was 32GB± instead of its complete 128GB, then I used it for something else, then I "hid" that small partition and then reformatted the PNY in Disk Management, so right now it is one confused sick puppy. It is NOT recognized by my XP machine at all although it does appear in Disk Management in my Win 7 machine. This means I should completely re-clean or re-format it and/or re-partition it first, and again I have no idea what I am talking about or how to get started. If I reformat it, what format? Disk Management in Win 7 gives me way too many choices, and I have no idea which to use.

Please point me to the beginning of this education, and the next step, and the next.

Edited by glnz, 22 November 2015 - 11:53 AM.

glnz      old Dell Optiplex 755DT XP Pro SP3 (4GB RAM) and new Optiplex 7010MT dual-booting Win7 Pro 64-bit and Win 10 Pro 64-bit (16GB RAM)

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

The Finder

• Developer
  • 16,328 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

1. Windows NT systems do not create FAT32 partitions larger than 32 Gb (and this is probably the reason why you ended up with a 32 Gb partition).
  2. Windows NT systems do not "see" or "like" (or actually mount/assign a drive letter to)  any partition if not the first one (meaning the one which is in first entry of the MBR) on Removable devices.

There are workarounds and "tricks" around the two above listed issues/features, but you are probably not (yet) ready[1] :w00t: for them. 

(google for the above tools, you will find their homesites and - likely -  a number of threads discussing them (here or on reboot.pro or on 911cd).

The mentioned tools are largely "automated" and might provide just what you need (though there is anyway an initial learning curve to use them).

[1]You have to understand that you want to go from "basic" or "n00b" (no offence whatever intended :) ) to "very advanced" and this will imply a lot of reading and learning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users