AOL Instant Messenger 4.8 no longer connects

Andrew T.

I am not certain. All I know is that there is a trillian account, which did exist for some time but it was not originally able to act as an IM. I first became aware of it when their Astra version came out, which I believe was in XP days. That is what my question is, at which version can you actually use the Trillian account for IM purposes? I had not used it until after AOL made their original annoucement, so I am unsure as to when the Trillian client actually became capable of it. And also, I have only used it on Windows 7 systems for some years now.

I thought that Trillian was just a skin.  You could use Trillian as a AIM client, it worked with Yahoo, and MSN.  Basically I thought Trillain was just a IM aggregator.  So it wouldn't make a difference, Trillian just connected to AOLs servers as if it was AIM itself.  Trillian was like Pidgin, the universal chat client.   ICQ probably still works :P

Edited by Destro

Yes originally it was just an program that could connect to multiple IM servers, but (at least) when their Astra version came out, they added a Trillian account and some unspecified time later (unknown to me) they made it so you could use Trillian exclusively to IM without any of the 3rd party IM servers.

• 1 year later...
10 hours ago, mario72 said:

If you guys still want to use AIM, AIM phoenix was created, you dont need special software for it, its just clients 5.x and higher will run, long live aim haha

Well that's not actually true..

AIM Phoenix only supports up until AIM version 5.9.I use it with xp though

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/23/2019 at 9:56 PM, someguy25 said:

Well that's not actually true..

AIM Phoenix only supports up until AIM version 5.9.I use it with xp though

yep, sorry for the misclarification. 

On 1/23/2019 at 9:56 PM, someguy25 said: