Looking for help with data recovery from an SD card ERROR

This is about some pictures and video from a racquetball tournament that I took recently with a brand new GoPro Hero 4 silver camera and brand new sandisc 32gb SD card. I finished recording all the clips I needed at the tournament but somehow there was some kind of an error with the SD card and none of the files could be seen or accessed once I got the error and only got SD card error message. I checked and I even played some back before the error after I recorded just to make sure I recorded since it was a new camera and card. I tried and tried several methods like removing and trying to get the files from a computer with the SD card but still had the error message and my only option was to format the card which would erase it.

After finding out the prices of data recovery, I went ahead and did some research and tried it myself with a data recovery software but now I have RAW files which won't play on any device. I tried laptop and phone but it seems the Shockwave Flash File will still not play on the recommended Flash player that the data recover suggested or the updated flash player or another kind that a search suggested or by means of copy and pasting it as recommended to a blank page to see if it would play and it proceeds like its wants to but just stays loading.

I tried one of the converters to try to convert from shockwave flash file to MP4 or another type that I thought might fit for laptop windows media player or movie maker so I can upload it to youtube or even just be able to view on a laptop but that appeared to want to take days for just a 2 minute clip. I checked the files and I was able to view the still images with no problem so that tells me I was able to recover all the files from the data recovery software that I chose but just can't play the videos. Any suggestions how I am to resolve this?

I asked someone on a board that I frequent and they suggested I upload the files so they can take a look at them so I sent them a link so they can see them on onedrive (which took 4 days to upload) and they said this:

The reason the Flash files do not play is because they aren't Flash files. I do not know how they got the .SWF extension. They do not have file headers. HyperRipper can't find any media files in the two I tested (001 and 015). Well actually it found a BIK file in 015 but RAD reports it has a bad header.

They suggested maybe the SD card was fake but the SD card and GoPro were both bought at a big dept store so chances are they are not fake. Any suggestions are appreciated

Edited by SDcarderror

I asked someone on a board that I frequent and they suggested I upload the files so they can take a look at them

Note to others, that "someone" was me. ;)

I referred this user here for help with the actual SD card as I was not able to make anything of the files.

If the first error message was displayed by the camera, either (the camera or the card are defective) or (the camera and card are incompatible). Were they bundled at the store or separate items? Have you contacted GoPro support?

> sandisc 32gb SD card

I hope you meant "SanDisk" -- a "sandisc" would be a fake. SanDisk makes several 32GB SD cards. Do you have the Ultra, Extreme Pro, or what?

I wouldn't be so sure that the *whatever* data recovery software recovered the files correctly, however, what I would do would be to try TriD on them and see if it can identify a file format and also try them in VLC that usually can play *almost anything*:

http://mark0.net/soft-trid-e.html

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Still personally I would try the recovery through "manual" means (after having made an image of the SD card) as it is very possible that the carver in the (unknown) file recovery software you used failed in "properly" recovering files. :unsure:

jaclaz

https://gopro.com/support/articles/file-format-3d-recordings

File Format for 3D Recordings

The cameras record .mp4 video files. Pictures will be saved as .jpg files. These are the same files that the camera will record in without the Dual HERO BacPac or 3D sync cable inserted. You can use one or both of the files depending on whether or not you wish to create 2D media or 3D media.

Try renaming the video files with a .mp4 extension.

I tried your download link in two browsers and the server at onedrive.live.com is unavailable....

The files are not actually MP4 files. They have an extension of SWF but they aren't those either. Normal MP4 files have a file header that says ftyp followed by a designator as seen in this list:

http://www.ftyps.com/

Two MP4 files I have on my computer for comparison have ftypisom and ftypmp42. The SWF files on the OneDrive link do not have file headers at all.

mp4compare_zpskyjfiwcw.jpg

This is why I believe that the files the OP uploaded are not going to be very helpful in recovery and that the original SD Card should be looked at again instead.

This is why I believe that the files the OP uploaded are not going to be very helpful in recovery and that the original SD Card should be looked at again instead.

Yes :yes: that is exactly the point of my previous post.

The SWF files on the OneDrive link do not have file headers at all.

Naah :no: they have it (I quickly checked file #15 ONLY):

4657538B

Now the 465753 is FWS (i.e. the correct header start for a SWF or ShockWaveFlash file) problem is that the 8B is version, i.e. version 139! :w00t:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Interesting... all my SWF files have CWS in their headers...

FWS i.e. SWF is the beginning of the header for "normal" Flash files.

CWS i.e. SWC is the beginning of the header for "compressed" Flash files.

Reference (JFYI):

http://www.file-recovery.com/swf-signature-format.htm

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz