bookie32

Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

770 posts in this topic

@BudwS what is so invasive about the theme of win7. sure the theme looks ugly, but I kinda dont see why it is invasive.

and you iirc replace the theme with some win7-like awesomeness (or whatever 3rd party theme you like)

Perhaps I have been mistaken for another computer person.  At present my only real PC computer has Windows 7 Pro installed on it.  If I need to use Windows, that is the computer of use.  Even the Dell laptop used for the Windows 10 Insider Preview has a dual boot Windows 7 Pro for intelligent computing when needed.  Invasive is a word reserved for Windows 10.  I don't lock down W10 as much as NoelC except when I power down the W10 computer.

Ghostery is an Invasive meter that can be used with a browser to see how many invaders are trying to use your computer.  A few sites have logged up several hundred invasive strikes.  So far, MS sites seen to be facilitating invasiveness the most. However, there are other sites that count up into the hundreds as well.  Perhaps Ghostery could be used as a Crap meter?

On ‎16‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 0:30 AM, NoelC said:

Got a tweaked Win 10 v1703 build 15063.413 down to 66 processes and 1.3 GB of RAM to host an empty desktop.  It's now utterly silent online unless I do something that initiates communications. 

66Processes.png

That took heroics; when I started it was at over 100 processes.

I updated a tweaked Win 7 VM earlier today and glanced at Process Hacker while I was in there.  38 processes.  That took a lot less effort than wrangling Win 10.

Win 8.1:  42 processes.  More effort than Win 7, but not nearly as much as 10.

In Win 10 v1703 now almost all the svchost.exe wrappers are now hosting just one service.  I can't measure or sense an improvement in performance because of this - and I've tried.

They claim it'll make a system that has crashing services more stable.  I haven't had services crash in a very long time.  Justification?  "Most computers have more than enough RAM now".  Yeah, THAT's a good reason to make something more wasteful for no practical benefit.  NOT!  Maybe we have more RAM because we need to do more work with our computers.

I keep trying and trying to find a way to want to adopt the latest Windows for my workstation and they keep working and working to ensure I just can't love it - or even like it.

-Noel

SvcHostSplitThresholdInKB @ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control

change the entry (decimal) to your installed amount of ram in kb and reboot, services (svchost) will go back to being grouped like previous versions of windows.

Edited by RanCorX2

Thanks.  I knew about that (that tweak is on AskVG or similar).

At this point, having gotten used to the new organization, it doesn't really matter whether the services are hosted one per process or multiples, and frankly seeing them as mostly separate processes tends to spur me on to try to trim more.  Chances are, since the split-up is mainstream now, it'll probably run better in this form.  Certainly it has more beta testers users running it this way now.

I stand firm in my conviction that Microsoft is among the best managers of mediocrity on the planet now...  Note that the June patches to the older operating systems are breaking things for people far and wide (who'd want to print from Internet Explorer, or search for things in Outlook?).

-Noel