ModernFrame replacement

bigmuscle

I see the glow effect is now read from custom theme's atlas image (the one in .msstyles), no need to extract theme atlas image anymore with GUI tool just to get the glow effect that is already present in the theme. And the best part, text now appears at correct position with the glow enabled!

Though ribbon windows still need to addressed.

Edited by UCyborg
Clarification regarding theme atlas

6 hours ago, bigmuscle said:

NoelC: maybe a bit complicated but we will manage it... you need to have new DWMGlass.dll registered and just ensure that it is injected into explorer.exe, it will probably happen automatically e.g. when you open Start menu or something - you can notice that console with the title Windows.Explorer...opens. In such scenario, it should generate minidump when explorer.exe crashes. Upload it and I can check what causes the crash.

I can find no way to get a debug console to start with the title Windows.Explorer, nor have I ever seen one with that title.  I have one titled dwm.exe and if I start the Settings App I get one titled ApplicationFrameHost.exe.  I tried stopping Explorer.exe and starting a new one; I tried opening a new File Explorer window; I tried opening the Windows 10 Start Menu...  No Windows.Explorer console ever shows up.

But it may be moot...  Though I was easily able to cause Explorer crashes when I first set up the new DLLs and tested, just by playing with the Aero Glass GUI controls, now I can't seem to cause it to happen at all.

So I can get no minidump for multiple reasons.  I dislike problems that go away seemingly on their own, because they always come back on their own.  But I will be patient, Qui Gon.

The crash of Windows Logon may have been because I had left a 10 second delay in the Task Scheduler for starting AeroHost.  I've taken that delay out and now the startup / autologon crash is gone.  Who knows, maybe that was responsible for the Explorer instability too.

I'll certainly let you know (and upload a minidump if I can get one) if I see it happen again.

-Noel

On my machine, Windows.Explorer console opens only under certain circumstances (excluding opening start menu, either default one or classic one provided by Classic Shell), but DWMGlass.dll exists in Explorer's process space all the time. Most of the time I don't see it at all. I figured I can get it to show up by connecting to the machine in question with Remote Desktop.

@NoelC
Do you have the latest Aero 7 theme? There were some updates to it since its first release for W10 Anniversary Update. Its .msstyles files are dated 1st November 2016.

Edit: You said you had aerohost.exe started with delay, meaning there were no means to get UxTSB.dll injected in time which would allow unsigned theme to load. This surely has caused the crash you've seen.

Edited by UCyborg

That's a good question, UCyborg...  I DID have the latest, but I did a restoral of a snapshot on my Win 10 VM to make sure I was starting with a stable configuration, so it's possible I dropped back...  No, I just checked:  My files are dated November 1, so they are the latest.

C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\Aero 7>dir
 Volume in drive C has no label.
 Volume Serial Number is 20A1-EC28

Directory of C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\Aero 7

11/06/2016  01:26 PM    <DIR>          .
11/06/2016  01:26 PM    <DIR>          ..
11/01/2016  12:47 AM         1,130,496 aero 2.msstyles
11/01/2016  12:47 AM         1,127,424 aero 3.msstyles
11/01/2016  12:45 AM         1,309,696 aero 7.msstyles
11/01/2016  01:05 AM         1,245,184 Basic 7.msstyles
11/06/2016  01:26 PM    <DIR>          Shell
11/06/2016  01:26 PM    <DIR>          Wallpaper

At this point I seem to have regained stability... Some extra runs of Aero Glass GUI haven't netted any more Explorer failures and I'm no longer seeing startup crashes since having removed the 10 second delay.  It's also possible that something I had accumulated in the VM was causing the problems, and that restoring it to a 14393.222 snapshot and re-updating it has cleared that out.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

This experimental build works excelent for me, the only minor issue I see is that AeroglassGUI tool freezes for 3 or 4 seconds after changing the color or theme, I don't experienced any crashes on explorer or something like that, works great :)

428c4ae8bae8f6fb0c7da5c24020c4e5da6c8043f6465536e3b55a9d72ab25fee0b468af508f306c

Edited by carlitosoo555

1 hour ago, carlitosoo555 said:

This experimental build works excelent for me

I see excellent two-colored borders around your windows.

And "Invalid symbol type 4 for module dwmcore.dll" (835) for clean Windows.

1.5.1.835.png

Edited by evgnb
picture

Title text left-right mispositioning on windows without icons (e.g., the Aero Glass GUI tool's first pop-up dialog) has been fixed.

@evgnb, do you have Windows 10 up to date?

For what it's worth, an updated Win 10 x64 Version 1607 build 14393.447 shows:

dwmcore.dll version 10.0.14393.351
udwm.dll version 10.0.14393.0
Symbols loaded from patterns: 0xFFF
Message 0x31A, wparam = 0, lparam = 0
Loading settings (flags = 0x4) from HKEY 0x0000000000000000 for session #1
Settings reloaded
Delayed hook (UxTheme.dll!GetThemeStream from udwm.dll) installed
Delayed hook (UxTheme.dll!GetThemeRect from udwm.dll) installed
Delayed hook (ext-ms-win-uxtheme-themes-l1-1-0.dll!GetThemeMargins from udwm.dll
) installed
Hook (USER32.dll!SystemParametersInfoW from udwm.dll) installed
Hook (GDI32.dll!ExtCreateRegion from udwm.dll) installed
Atlas resource loaded (custom: )
GetThemeStream 0,0,213

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

It might ultimately work if you were to log off/on enough times.  Microsoft's symbol servers don't always deliver on demand, and apparently DWMGlass.dll doesn't have internally what it needs to be able to work with dwmcore.dll 14393.0.

-Noel

The theme that I use mainly is "clsharp_v4.4" and sometimes I change to "Crystalight TextGlow-Dark" and the only color I use is black, those two themes work very well on modern applications with this experimental build, but I fully understand that for those who use other themes and other colors, those borders can be a serious issue, but for me, it's not a big deal.

f61be458b5a110c5036d636c9196cb606135170f25148d2db46b6265094476587fac57eaffcda41d

Edited by carlitosoo555

5 hours ago, carlitosoo555 said:

25148d2db46b6265094476587fac57eaffcda41d

That looks pretty disintegrated.

Have you tried reconfiguring the colors in both the Glass colors and Accent tabs?  Then having clicked on each window to activate it, so the title/border chrome is repainted?

And possibly more importantly, does it look better after a reboot (after having changed the theme and colors)?  I ask because once I've set up all the colors to match and set the various theme atlas, et. al. settings, then rebooted, everything here seems pretty consistent.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

@NoelC I edited my comment because you were right, after installing this experimental build, I forgot to put the same color on all tabs in AeroglassGUI, now Crystalight TextGlow-Dark looks like this with black and blue:

0c7d39fb56de9250b7a4b975e743023b00c28cb40ae63759a1186945586af93cb431553bce1cc6a8

Thanks for the hint.

Edited by carlitosoo555