Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 



bigmuscle

ModernFrame replacement

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, bigmuscle said:

Currently yes. ModernFrame is only experimental hack so it requires non-standard steps. On the other side, SecureBoot does not really increase security in any way, it gives only false safety.

Bravo, Big Muscle.  It's always SO nice to hear from others who understand that what the industry pushes on us to "increase security" at best only helps protect complete dummies from doing stupid things to themselves.

Anyone should question any concept being pushed as "security is good" and "more is better".  There are ALWAYS downsides.  In this case it is loss of control over what you are allowed run on your own system.

So here you are, wanting to add desktop elegance your operating system that Microsoft absolutely doesn't want you to have.

Did you REALLY want someone else to tell you what you're allowed to run on your system?

-Noel

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, CKyHC said:

But you're only one who has this issue. It's mean that something in your system is wrong or conflicting...

And check is "RequireSignedAppInit_DLLs"=dword:00000000 key present in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows, if so delete this key. From Anniversary Update this key not needed and it makes troubles or issuies.

RequireSignedAppInit_DLLs is set to 0. Even if it is just me that has come forward with the issue, I cant use it in its current state. Every single machine and installation is different. Every hardware chip is different than the one next to it. Its very possible to have problems for 1 or some and not for anyone else.

I will try it again when another version is released. For now, it will have to stay disabled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NoelC said:

Bravo, Big Muscle.  It's always SO nice to hear from others who understand that what the industry pushes on us to "increase security" at best only helps protect complete dummies from doing stupid things to themselves.

Anyone should question any concept being pushed as "security is good" and "more is better".  There are ALWAYS downsides.  In this case it is loss of control over what you are allowed run on your own system.

So here you are, wanting to add desktop elegance your operating system that Microsoft absolutely doesn't want you to have.

Did you REALLY want someone else to tell you what you're allowed to run on your system?

-Noel

This post is 100% completely unnecessary. It's offtopic and more Microsoft bashing. Please take it elsewhere or a moderator will need to be involved. Its cancerous.

Edited by raiden89

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

raiden89, I just wanted to say that on my machine with key present "RequireSignedAppInit_DLLs" dll's are NOT loaded at all. I deleted this key and dlls starts to load. This started after Anniversary Update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, raiden89 said:

This post is 100% completely unnecessary. It's offtopic and more Microsoft bashing. Please take it elsewhere or a moderator will need to be involved. Its cancerous.

Hardly a crime what he posted.  It's relevant to the relationship between modernframe and Secure Boot, so I don't see it as off topic.  There's more to this site than pure technicalities I would hope.  Opinions have a place, and Microsoft could do to listen to users more.  Don't forget, aeroglass was the most requested feature in Microsoft's survey of what people wanted to see in Windows 10 and they still blew it off.

Edited by genecooper
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is one inconsistency between Win32 and Modern apps. When you maximize the Win32 app, the window frame height is reduced a bit, with Modern apps, the height remains unchanged.

Regarding RequireSignedAppInit_DLLs, by default, this DWORD isn't present on desktop Windows variants and the default behavior is to accept unsigned DLLs. Server variants require signed DLLs by default, but I don't know whether the actual DWORD is present in registry by default or does it have to be added manually to change the default behavior.

The latest experimental build of Aero Glass that loads UX theme signature bypass DLL by itself without relying on AppInit_DLLs feature is surely a step in the right direction, so we might see the same with ModernFrame.dll in the future. Big Muscle is basically hacking around Windows to give us better user experience without any cooperation from Microsoft at all. It's really commendable work IMHO.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not up to date with version numbers so will try to make this post make sense

old modernframe with windows 10586? and a custom theme atlas showed modified buttons top right [see image] - new modern frame on Anniversary build again using modified theme atlas shows stock/standard buttons

is this as others see things or as i always ask am i doing something wrong

modern.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, genecooper said:

Hardly a crime what he posted.  It's relevant to the relationship between modernframe and Secure Boot, so I don't see it as off topic.  There's more to this site than pure technicalities I would hope.  Opinions have a place, and Microsoft could do to listen to users more.  Don't forget, aeroglass was the most requested feature in Microsoft's survey of what people wanted to see in Windows 10 and they still blew it off.

This is not the right place to complain about the lack of attention by Microsoft to its users, or to complain about Windows 10, there are many topics in MSFN for that and also for haters of Microsoft and Windows 10, here are some examples:

If you want to start a discussion totally off topic about Windows 10 and its lack of customization or about Microsoft and its decisions regarding the design of Windows here, let's start it, and let's see if some moderator do something about it or not, lets do it...

Edited by carlitosoo555

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, genecooper said:

Hardly a crime what he posted.  It's relevant to the relationship between modernframe and Secure Boot, so I don't see it as off topic.  There's more to this site than pure technicalities I would hope.  Opinions have a place, and Microsoft could do to listen to users more.  Don't forget, aeroglass was the most requested feature in Microsoft's survey of what people wanted to see in Windows 10 and they still blew it off.

Not a crime but very offtopic for half of his post...for example...

"So here you are, wanting to add desktop elegance your operating system that Microsoft absolutely doesn't want you to have.

Did you REALLY want someone else to tell you what you're allowed to run on your system?"

Another snide comment towards Microsoft in a thread completely unrelated. This isnt a "bash windows 10/microsoft because they wont let you run what you want on their OS" thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Raiden89 and Carlitosoo555, you are not moderators. There is nothing wrong with the post so just leave it alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Enough said. Maintain our respect.

Edited by Alanrh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

carlitosoo555 said:  This is not the right place to complain about the lack of attention by Microsoft to its users, or to complain about Windows 10, there are many topics in MSFN for that and also for haters of Microsoft and Windows 10, here are some examples . . . .

If you want to start a discussion totally off topic about Windows 10 and its lack of customization or about Microsoft and its decisions regarding the design of Windows here, let's start it, and let's see if some moderator do something about it or not, lets do it...

Enough already.  We're here to enjoy bigmuscle's creation, not be disciplined at every turn.  Bigmuscle created areoglass because of Microsoft's disregard of users, so I see the discussion about Microsoft as relevant here.  We don't have to over-categorize every discussion.  Everything is related in the end.

Edited by genecooper
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So here we have another experiment. Remove any DLL from AppInit_DLLs, disable LoadAppInit_DLLs, download the following archive, open the command line with admin rights and run this command:

Install:	regsvr32 ModernFrame-x64-Debug.dll
Uninstall:	regsvr32 /u ModernFrame-x64-Debug.dll

Then kill ApplicationFrameHost.exe, restart your computer or whatever :-)

http://glass8.eu/out/ModernFrame-x64dbg-2016-10-28a.7z

It is DEBUG 64-bit version!!!!

Edited by bigmuscle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×