New Unofficial Version - 2.0.0

Bioruebe

Hello,

I am proud to announce (an unofficial) version 2.0 of Universal Extractor.

About

It all started about 3 years ago, when I took a look into Universal Extractor's source code to improve some parts of its behaviour for personal usage. Over time more and more features were added, including batch and scan only modes as well as support for password lists for protected archives. After lots of positive feedback from a private group of testers I decided to release my work to the public.

As a short overview, here are some key features, which are new in this release:

• Batch mode
  • Silent mode, not showing any prompts
  • Scan only mode to determine file types without extracting
  • Integrated updater
  • 100+ new supported file types
  • Audio and video extraction for multimedia files
  • Cascading context menu
  • Support for password list for common archives
  • Improved optional status box with progress indicator
  • New detection methods + more detailed output and error messages
  • Support for some extractors not shipping with UniExtract as plugins
  • Resource usage/speed improvements, lots of fixes
  • First start assistant instead of installer
  • Full functionality available in no-install version
  • Auto-using 64 bit versions of extractors if supported by OS

A full list of changes can be found here.

There are already several inofficial versions scattered around the internet, but this one is by far the most advanced I know of - hence the version jump to 2. As the only modified UniExtract version centrally hosted on GitHub it is easy to file bug reports as well as feature requests, find new releases or get the source code. Alternatively, an auto-updater and a built-in feedback GUI have been implemented.

If you want to try out the new version and help to fix bugs, feel free to download it using the links below.

Notes

If you use an older version of Universal Extractor, do not replace it with version 2.0 as there are some changes, which can probably result in incompatibilities.
You do not have to uninstall any previous version, it works along with this.
The context menu entries of the new version may not work if an older version's context menu entries already exist, depending on your system.

The beta version does not come with an installer, the official release version will do. Just unpack all files, start UniExtract.exe and a first start GUI will help you on your next steps.
Some features are experimental, which means that they probably do not work like intended. If there is a problem, feel free to contact me. See the changelog for more information about experimental features.

The translations have to be updated. At the moment, there is only a full translation for English and German. If you are able to translate to any other language and if you want to support Universal Extractor, feel free to send me any translations you can do or check existing ones for mistakes.

And most important:
It is a beta release. There can be some errors, bugs, etc. Use it at your own risk. No warranty for any demages resulting of the use of this software.
If you want to share Universal Extractor 2 with someone, always warn about the beta state (or include this text).

Download Beta 1 here.

Source code can be found at GitHub.

More information about UniExtract 2

Well, there's also an Unofficial 1.6.5 (I've been using it) -

www.msfn.org/board/topic/171930-new-unofficial-version-165/

The only "bug" I could find was that "Extract Another?" doesn't work.

The "Official" one is no longer maintained as stated here -

www.msfn.org/board/topic/124534-universal-extractor-16-bug-reports/#entry1107304

The first link has a comment indicating the "Official" v1.6.1 one.

I'm supposing you've already noted those (and the discussion/links therein)?

We'll take a look at this, for sure. :yes:

Hi Bioruebe,

as Universal Extractor contains 3rd party copyrighted code you are probably not allowed to link directly to the full installer on MSFN. Linking to your github page should be fine, as it contains no direct download link to the binary files themselves.

I like the fact that you have published the source code on Github so it can be viewed by anyone without asking the developer for a copy. I currently use the Universal Extractor version created by Gora. He also publishes the source code of his version, but only when asking. You might want to contact him if his version contains useful code.

I'm supposing you've already noted those (and the discussion/links therein)?

We'll take a look at this, for sure. :yes:

Sure, I've seen the posts. (This topic's title even is a reference to the first link you posted  ;))

Well, my version isn't really about bugfixes, but about new features I found useful to have.

Hi Bioruebe,

as Universal Extractor contains 3rd party copyrighted code you are probably not allowed to link directly to the full installer on MSFN. Linking to your github page should be fine, as it contains no direct download link to the binary files themselves.

I like the fact that you have published the source code on Github so it can be viewed by anyone without asking the developer for a copy. I currently use the Universal Extractor version created by Gora. He also publishes the source code of his version, but only when asking. You might want to contact him if his version contains useful code.

All of the third-party executables are freely redistributable with most of them being GPL licensed, so there shouldn't be any copyright issues.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll take a look at Gora's version. Still, feel free to try out my version and notify me about features you are missing :)

You can find a collection of different Universal Extractor mods at http://forum.ru-board.com/topic.cgi?forum=5&topic=20420&start=0

The first post is not updated very much. You can find the latest mod versions at the end of the thread. You probably need to register to be able to download the files. I have not tested any of the mods, except the ones from Gora.

For a English translation of the site you can use the following link.
https://translate.google.com/translate?depth=1&hl=en&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http://forum.ru-board.com/topic.cgi%3Fforum%3D5%26topic%3D20420%26start%3D0

The latest version of Universal Extractor created by Gora can be found here:

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=140405#140405

You need to use 7-zip to extract the password-protected file as PowerArchiver does not open it correctly. You can use shift-click to install it as a portable version. I have not installed this version yet.

I have also created a custom installer for Universal Extractor 1.7.9.95Y (Gora Mod) using Inno Setup. If you want the iss script for reference please PM me.

http://updatepack.nl/custom_setup/uniextract17995.exe

BTW, if you name your version somewhat different you can drop the 'unofficial' from the name. Something like "Universal Extractor [bioruebe edition]" will make it more clear that your version is a fork of the one created by Jared Breland.

Edited by Acheron

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a lot for the collection of links, seems kind of hard to find current mod versions for non-russian speakers. Well, at least this is something my version does better :)

I spent some time looking at these mods and I found a few extractors to include in future versions. As for the naming and installer tips, I'll keep it in mind and think about when it's out of beta; still thank you, I really appreciate your help.

I have tested Gora's Universal Extractor 1.9.11, but this version has changed some functionality, so I'm back to using 1.7.9.95Y.

The feature of Universal Extractor I use the most is extracting Windows XP updates, and it appears this feature is broken in 1.9.11. Another option I often use is decompressing upx'd files, without extracting the contents directly. Universal Extractor 1.9.11 now automatically extracts the files instead of asking about unpacking the exe only to a new file.

Edited by Acheron

• 1 month later...

extracting Windows XP updates, and it appears this feature is broken

Fixed.

Another option I often use is decompressing upx'd files, without extracting the contents directly. Universal Extractor 1.9.11 now automatically extracts the files instead of asking about unpacking the exe only to a new file.

upx_UE.png

I do not understand. Give a link to this file and what you want to get?

Edited by gora

Gora, I had problems using Universal Extractor 1.9.11. Thanks for fixing extracting Windows XP updates in 1.9.17. The second issue was that I did not get the dialog asking to unpack upx files, instead these were extracted automatically.

I will test 1.9.17 to see if these issues are fixed. Thanks for continuing this project :thumbup

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 01/01/2016 at 2:45 PM, Bioruebe said:

Hello,

I am proud to announce (an unofficial) version 2.0 of Universal Extractor.

Spoiler

About

It all started about 3 years ago, when I took a look into Universal Extractor's source code to improve some parts of its behaviour for personal usage. Over time more and more features were added, including batch and scan only modes as well as support for password lists for protected archives. After lots of positive feedback from a private group of testers I decided to release my work to the public.

As a short overview, here are some key features, which are new in this release:

• Batch mode
  • Silent mode, not showing any prompts
  • Scan only mode to determine file types without extracting
  • Integrated updater
  • 100+ new supported file types
  • Audio and video extraction for multimedia files
  • Cascading context menu
  • Support for password list for common archives
  • Improved optional status box with progress indicator
  • New detection methods + more detailed output and error messages
  • Support for some extractors not shipping with UniExtract as plugins
  • Resource usage/speed improvements, lots of fixes
  • First start assistant instead of installer
  • Full functionality available in no-install version
  • Auto-using 64 bit versions of extractors if supported by OS

A full list of changes can be found here.

There are already several inofficial versions scattered around the internet, but this one is by far the most advanced I know of - hence the version jump to 2. As the only modified UniExtract version centrally hosted on GitHub it is easy to file bug reports as well as feature requests, find new releases or get the source code. Alternatively, an auto-updater and a built-in feedback GUI have been implemented.

If you want to try out the new version and help to fix bugs, feel free to download it using the links below.

Notes

If you use an older version of Universal Extractor, do not replace it with version 2.0 as there are some changes, which can probably result in incompatibilities.
You do not have to uninstall any previous version, it works along with this.
The context menu entries of the new version may not work if an older version's context menu entries already exist, depending on your system.

The beta version does not come with an installer, the official release version will do. Just unpack all files, start UniExtract.exe and a first start GUI will help you on your next steps.
Some features are experimental, which means that they probably do not work like intended. If there is a problem, feel free to contact me. See the changelog for more information about experimental features.

The translations have to be updated. At the moment, there is only a full translation for English and German. If you are able to translate to any other language and if you want to support Universal Extractor, feel free to send me any translations you can do or check existing ones for mistakes.

And most important:
It is a beta release. There can be some errors, bugs, etc. Use it at your own risk. No warranty for any demages resulting of the use of this software.
If you want to share Universal Extractor 2 with someone, always warn about the beta state (or include this text).

Download Beta 1 here.

Source code can be found at GitHub.

More information about UniExtract 2

~ Thank You @Bioruebe, it works flawless!! so far its MUCH Better than the alternative versions posted here or any other place!

"Keep it Up!". ^^

Edited by DannyhelMont
typo

• 4 weeks later...

Hi...

Great prject.

Could you offer it in a portable form (Better using PortableApps Framework)?
When I say Portable I mean it writes nothing to Registry and uses only the program folder (No Use of AppData, User Folders, etc...).

Thank You.

Edited by Drazick

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Bioruebe for your efforts on this, they are very much appreciated.  I found this page after hitting an Inno Setup exe that was packed with a newer version of Inno that the original UniExtract couldn't handle.  I installed your beta3 and it extracted perfectly.  Thanks again!

• 3 months later...