W10 unattended install-comments, questions and problems.

Using a modified W7 unattend xml file I have been testing installs on VM (VMware Player).  First I installed the ISO directly and had no problems.  Then booting a W7 x64 WinPE I did a flat install with the modified W7 unattended file.  It completed and mostly worked, to my surprise.  I cannot run many W10 functions (eg, Display settings) without getting the following message:

Admin.jpg

I am running a local account created in the xml file during install.  It is an administrator account but not the Administrator account.  I enable the Administrator account and get the same error.  Any ideas?  I can sanitize and attach my unattended.xml file if needed.

Install is very slow compared to W7 (maybe it is VMware).  There is "Antimalware Service Executable" taking CPU often.  Can I get rid of it - how?

I did find that "Setup Complete" does not work.

In W7 I created a restore point in a script but it fails in W10 with a strange error.  I went in to manually create one and could not enable it.  Of course, I have not activated Windows.  Is this the problem?

I cannot find the equivalent of the W7 unattend.chm for W10.  Is it the same as W8 and where can I find it?

Thanks much for any comments and help.  Enjoy, John.

EDIT:  In order to have the "Turn on system protection" button not greyed out is that at least one disk needs to be selected in the previous screen.

Edited by johnhc

Thanks, kmaheshkumar, I have run WSIM and fixed the problems it found.  I am only installing the x64 version and will provide the file after I sanitize it - probably tomorrow.  Enjoy, John.

EDIT:  I am curious to know why I cannot signout  of the forum.  Anybody????????????????

Edited by johnhc

I cannot find the equivalent of the W7 unattend.chm for W10.  Is it the same as W8 and where can I find it?

You won't find unattend.chm. Microsoft stopped using compiled help files (.chm) a few years ago. All of their help documentation is online now in the MSDN  and TechNet Libraries. They do; however, provide the ability to select articles to download for offline use ... in HTML format.

You probably want to start with the Windows 10 Deployment Tools Reference article.

Thanks, paradox355.  I think I ran across your reference but expected to find something closer to what I am used to seeing.  I will spend some time learning from you link.  I hope to find a document that explains all the unattend.xml commands.  Enjoy, John.

i am totally irritated to use wsim for each time(when any mistakes done in xml i.e., i do most mistakes while doing it  :yes:) for my small requirement so i created a small c# app to create and start my Hyper-VM which helps me badly.

It would seem few people are interested in W10 Unattended install. 

The "The app can't open problem" is caused by UAC being turned off during install.  I think it is this line of code:

<EnableLUA>false</EnableLUA>

This code causes my install to hang:

<CEIPEnabled>0</CEIPEnabled>

and produce this message after getting rid of a half formed error message:Failed_Install.jpg
What a mess W10 is.  Enjoy, John.

EDIT:  When I let WSIM set the CEIP value the install went fine.  I had not included some needed code.  "Feedback frequency" (Privacy) was still set to "Automatically" and not "Never" as I expected.  To use the "EnableLUA" value, after the install open the UAC screen, press OK and reboot - no more messages.

Edited by johnhc

If it is the same, if you set NetworkLocation to Public, then this prompt shouldn't appear.

Thanks, Tripredacus for the instant reply.  I will give it a try soon.  Enjoy, John.

EDIT:  I could not get this to work.  Using WSIM (10.0.10586.0), first it says NetworkLocation is deprecated and only allowed Home, Work and Other values.  I tried Home and Other (Public equivalent, I think) and still got the dialog.  The last time, I just ignored it and will see what that did. 

Since CEIP did not seem to do anything, what can be used to turn off most/all of the Privacy invading junk?

Thanks, John.

Edited by johnhc

• 1 year later...
On 15/01/2016 at 2:49 AM, johnhc said:

Thanks, Tripredacus for the instant reply.  I will give it a try soon.  Enjoy, John.

EDIT:  I could not get this to work.  Using WSIM (10.0.10586.0), first it says NetworkLocation is deprecated and only allowed Home, Work and Other values.  I tried Home and Other (Public equivalent, I think) and still got the dialog.  The last time, I just ignored it and will see what that did. 

Since CEIP did not seem to do anything, what can be used to turn off most/all of the Privacy invading junk?

Thanks, John.

Using the current 10 build & also prompts for the network nag, also asks to confirm Region setting & Keyboard whilst both is included in my xml. Has anyone else noticed this?