Kurt_Aust

HOWTO create a XP SP4 DVD with all DriverPacks and some apps

16 posts in this topic

Moved to RyanVM

You can still ask questions here

Edited by Kurt_Aust
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Changelog

5 Jan 16: Guide published

7 Jan 16: Updated \Hotfix\rootsupd.exe & \Hotfix\rvkroots.exe

10 Jan 16: Added notes for USB stick based installation and support for VirtualBox drivers without D3D

31 Jan 16: Updated to support version 3.1a of Service Pack 4

20 Feb 16: Updated root certificates and install PowerShell via Run1a.bat rather than .in_ file

18 Nov 16: Moved to the RyanVM forums

Edited by Kurt_Aust
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing that's missing is support for a decent 3rd party anti-virus solution that still works on XP and can be silently installed.

If anyone can think of one, by all means suggest it.

Edited by Kurt_Aust
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Updated to support version 3.1a of Service Pack 4.

The most notable change to the process for the end user is that now there is only one hotfix, the Visual C++ runtime libraries.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Problem when slipstreamed with Dibya's Windows XP 4GB RAM limit breaker.

 

In VMware, install seems to go fine, then come across a peculiar BSoD

p6VT5P9.png

 

I really want to slipstream his addon as it cannot be installed after setup. Any way to fix this?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Problem when slipstreamed with Dibya's Windows XP 4GB RAM limit breaker.

 

In VMware, install seems to go fine, then come across a peculiar BSoD

p6VT5P9.png

 

I really want to slipstream his addon as it cannot be installed after setup. Any way to fix this?

Have you tried new version updated by in 22 february

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SP4 Update and link fixes needed.

x

SP4 v3.1a has been obsolete since at least April 2016, if not before.
The current (and supposedly last) version is 3.1b.
Your link to the Google Drive is dead.
The link in Ryan's page to the Google Drive works but once there the DL's didn't work for me. (They start downloading but never finish. - Weird.)
The only way I found that worked for me to get SP4 v3.1b is to use the magnet link in Ryan's page.

[Edit] I finally got the Google Drive to work from Ryan's page. After about 750Mb I had to restart it repeatedly (every 25-50 Mb or so) to get the complete file.

x

Regarding line == ''Google Earth use version 7.1.2.2041 (6.2.2.6613 on VirtualBox without D3D)''
.........
There is no longer any way to get to version 7.1.2.2041 using either of the first two links you give.
If you fiddle around you can still find version 6.2.2.6613 available, but that could go *poof* any day now.
The oldest 7.x.x.xxxx sequence "old version" available on Google Earth's site is newer than 7.1.2.2041.
..
Anything I found on the web that appeared to be a link to a version 7.1.2.2041 full installer actually went to the general online-installer file (usually on  Google Earth's server) which presumably DL's the latest version only.
(Like most web-installers it doesn't tell you anything useful about what it's doing.)
..
So, I poked around on Google Earth's site...
I found the direct links to some full installers on this page. "https://support.google.com/earth/answer/168344?hl=en"
(That's where 6.2.2.6613 is found.)
..
Then I -guessed- what the link would be to 7.1.2.2041 full install file based on what the link to 7.1.5.1557 is. --
-- *and it worked*!! It is at:

https://dl.google.com/dl/earth/client/GE7/release_7_1_2/googleearth-win-bundle-7.1.2.2041.exe

And since I'm there, the link for 6.2.2.6613 is:

https://dl.google.com/earth/client/GE6/release_6_2_2/googleearth-win-bundle-6.2.2.6613.exe

Note the /dl/ in the url string. It is apparently only *not* present for newest file in each major version.
You can see the correct file names in the links. - "GoogleEarthSetup.exe" is the web installer. Not what you want.

@Anyone: Might wanna archive the full installers while they can still be found at all.

.

Edited by PCBONEZ
Fix bad phrasing. Endulging my OCD.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ Kurt_Aust

The file ATICCC.ins seems to be corrupt/broken (or -something-).

The ATICCC.ins file contained in your WinXP-SP4 torrent shows up in the downloading files list while the torrent is running but it says "0 bytes".
When the torrent completes the file is not present in the download at all.

The ATICCC.ins contained in "Files_WinXP-SP4_A_Feb16.7z" downloads and shows up but it is 0 bytes and has a CRC32 of "00000000".

I don't know what that file is/does, if it's needed at all or if 0 bytes is correct, but at the very least you should know it's not getting to people through the torrent.

Edited by PCBONEZ
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your interest and suggestions PCBONEZ, unfortunately however due to changes in MSFN.org's forum software it is no longer possible for me to update or maintain complex forum posts like the main guide in this topic.

Attempts at updating the main post always fail, previously I was able to work on it offline as a basic text file and just copy/paste it but that is no longer an option.

I intend over the Christmas break to rewrite and move this topic to another forum host, but there won't be any updates until then.

ATICCC.ins is correct at 0 bytes, at least that's what the DriverPacks create with the ATI graphics settings I use.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2016 at 0:22 PM, Kurt_Aust said:

 unfortunately however due to changes in MSFN.org's forum software it is no longer possible for me to update or maintain complex forum posts like the main guide in this topic.

This is a shame. And IMHO horribly short sighted of MSFN's "powers that be". - In a way of thinking MSFN has deliberately "obsoleted itself" for the very thing that made them unique and valuable. 

MANY Member Contributed Projects here on MSFN -RELY- (or did) on the ability to keep the first post updated and current. If that is no longer possible here then MSFN content will largely be dated and obsolete projects and MSFN will soon no longer be such a valuable asset.

MSFN staff should consider creating a limited Admin type of account that allows the authors of such projects to edit (just their own) project threads. Such permissions would obviously need to be handed out on a one-on-one basis after a review of the project, but that shouldn't be THAT much of a burden to the "powers that be" given the vast improvement in the quality of the content here.

Not many other forums have that capability/feature and many that do are so afraid of copyright issues (without actually understanding them) that they simply won't let you post something like this there. - Kurt, you may have to suck it up and launch your own site for these projects. (Not meaning to host the files, just providing the instructions and links as you do here.) Of course going that route finding a server host that isn't a copyright wuss might be a problem.

On 10/8/2016 at 0:22 PM, Kurt_Aust said:

I intend over the Christmas break to rewrite and move this topic to another forum host, but there won't be any updates until then.

If you don't post it then please PM me the new home(s) of your OS projects once you have them moved. I don't often speak up but I'm an avid follower of your OS update projects because IMHO you do it better than anyone else.

And just FYI. Someone else thinks so too. Your torrents are supported by a/some 3rd party seed(s) with substantial bandwidth. None of your torrents took more than 45 minutes this time.

That was also true back last Dec-Jan-Feb the last time I refreshed/updated/added new projects to my local files for all your projects. - Just my luck I updated some just before you did major updates so I ended up doing some of the torrents twice about then. None of them were slow back then either.

On 10/8/2016 at 0:22 PM, Kurt_Aust said:

ATICCC.ins is correct at 0 bytes, at least that's what the DriverPacks create with the ATI graphics settings I use.

I'm not enough of a programmer to understand what a zero bytes file does. (Or if they even matter.) - The thing I was trying to get across is that it's not getting to your end users by way of the torrent. (Least not using uTorrent which apparently doesn't pass zero-byte files.) - Thus the file-sets don't 100% match between the torrent and your other download methods.

So using the torrent to double-check the file-sets from the other DL's (as you say to do) is off by file count but not by bytes. A little confusing until I figured it out.

Thus, perhaps a note is in order explaining the discrepancy.

..............

Though I rarely post and I'm not a frequent visitor at MSFN, I've been a huge fan of your work for a few years now. - Kurt_Aust, you do an awesome job and I suspect you have many many more "silent fans" than you know.

.

Edited by PCBONEZ
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PCBONEZ said:

This is a shame. And IMHO horribly short sighted of MSFN's "powers that be". - In a way of thinking MSFN has deliberately "obsoleted itself" for the very thing that made them unique and valuable.

MANY Member Contributed Projects here on MSFN -RELY- (or did) on the ability to keep the first post updated and current. If that is no longer possible here then MSFN content will largely be dated and obsolete projects and MSFN will soon no longer be such a valuable asset.

MSFN staff should consider creating a limited Admin type of account that allows the authors of such projects to edit (just their own) project threads. Such permissions would obviously need to be handed out on a one-on-one basis after a review of the project, but that shouldn't be THAT much of a burden to the "powers that be" given the vast improvement in the quality of the content here.

Not many other forums have that capability/feature and many that do are so afraid of copyright issues (without actually understanding them) that they simply won't let you post something like this there. - Kurt, you may have to suck it up and launch your own site for these projects. (Not meaning to host the files, just providing the instructions and links as you do here.) Of course going that route finding a server host that isn't a copyright wuss might be a problem.haps a note is in order explaining the discrepancy.

.

Well, whining is already something frowned upon, but whining about the wrong issue is even worse (you are barking up the wrong tree).

The issue (JFYI) is about the (stupid) update to the IPB software, NOT any change in MSFN policies/accounts/whatever.

Simply the Authors of the board software decided that having something simple and working (BBCode) was too d@mn simple and "old school" and removed the feature in favour of a very poorly working WYSISYG editor that makes managing complex posts with quotes, code, links, etc. a total nightmare (when and if it works, i.e. "never", or at least "never as it should").

See:


 

jaclaz
 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

Well, whining is already something frowned upon, but whining about the wrong issue is even worse (you are barking up the wrong tree).

The issue (JFYI) is about the (stupid) update to the IPB software, NOT any change in MSFN policies/accounts/whatever.

Simply the Authors of the board software decided that having something simple and working (BBCode) was too d@mn simple and "old school" and removed the feature in favour of a very poorly working WYSISYG editor that makes managing complex posts with quotes, code, links, etc. a total nightmare (when and if it works, i.e. "never", or at least "never as it should").

jaclaz
 

Then why are you WHINING about what I wrote?

As was OBVIOUS, I understand the issue. - I expressed an opinion about it - AND I offered suggestions to work around it - primarily to Kurt_Aust.

You OTOH seem to be just whining.

Edited by PCBONEZ
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry :(, from the suggestions you posted it seemed you had not understood what the base issue is (that cannot be mitigated through special Admin accounts or similar).

It is the WYSIWYG editor that is unmanageable, not permissions/accounts/etc., and unfortunately the MSFN Administrators cannot do anything about that, short of changing the Board Software altogether (which would create a nightmare to convert the existing data), it is an IPB issue that hasn't been fixed (and very likely will never be).

jaclaz

 

Edited by jaclaz
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Sorry :(, from the suggestions you posted it seemed you had not understood what the base issue is (that cannot be mitigated through special Admin accounts or similar).

It is the WYSIWYG edotor that is unmanageable, not permissions/accounts/etc., and unfortunately the MSFN Administrators cannot do anything about that, short of changing the Board Software altogether (which would create a nightmare to convert the existing data), it is an IPB issue that hasn't been fixed (and very likely will never be).

jaclaz
 

No worries. - Peace.

FYI, I don't do it anymore but I launched my first website and forum back in the 90's. I have done a Board Software transition and they are NOT fun.

Now I see your point about the editor being the root of the problem. - It annoys me too. - Rather surprised a modern forum software has an editor that can't be changed or customized in the Admin interface. I see many today that can do it right in the user interface.

Regardless the cause, I think the poor choice will obsolete the MFSN Forum as a "Go To" place for such projects. - Kurt_Aust's decision to move his projects elsewhere exists as a case in point.

I've not seen inside the "Invision Power Services" forum software but I'll learn from MSFN's problems and not chose it should I get back into running a forum in the future.

.

Ah, We're getting a little OT here. We should drop it and go to PM if we want to continue. I don't particularly. Said my piece.

Edited by PCBONEZ
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.