RetroZilla: An updated version of Mozilla for Windows 95 and NT4 [2.2 RELEASED]

I never used the RZ eMail client before, but I just tried it with one of my accounts (freenet) and I was able to receive the mails. Maybe openSSL is worth trying (https://msfn.org/board/topic/174247-windows-9x-ssl-protocol-winsslwrap-117-rev-08/) (http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/1591502.html) . I still use OutlookExpress 6 as my main client with the help of WinSSLWrap on ME. It is sufficient for text, photos and attachments. For unsupported contents I run Thunderbird 45 (KernelEx/Kext) or have to switch to XP and TB 52.

Okay, I figured out what I was doing wrong...

It occurred to me to see what would happen if I tried the "SSL" connection type... and lo and behold, it works like a charm. The default IMAP and SMTP port numbers even change to the correct ones for AOL when "SSL" is chosen. I had assumed that the "TLS" or "TLS, if available" options would be the correct choice since actual SSL is obsolete/insecure (and I have it disabled in RetroZilla) and the term is often used informally for secure connections in general that nowadays actually use TLS, but apparently those options actually correspond to the "STARTTLS" option in Thunderbird 52.9.1, while the "SSL" option is equivalent to "SSL/TLS".

Neither AOL nor Spectrum accepts whatever authentication method RetroZilla presents with "Use secure authentication" checked. I anticipate having to generate an "app password" for AOL access starting in June, but it works nicely for now.