RetroZilla: An updated version of Mozilla for Windows 95 and NT4 [2.2 RELEASED]

hL8uz31.png

I have been working on an updated version of SeaMonkey 1.1.19 (Firefox 2) for Windows 95 and NT4. I plan to backport CSS features over from newer versions of the browser, as well as modify the browser to work better with the modern web and improve user experience on older OSes. (I plan to include an optional hosts file that blocks Facebook and Google Analytics URLs, which will speed up the web greatly.)

Right now, it is just a rebrand, but I am working on newer features and I do accept contributors.

GitHub Page

Latest Release

Edited by rn10950

Already noticed one improvement over regular SeaMonkey 1.1.19 and K-Meleon 1.5.4......

when browsing Craigs List with javascript off, all the website content would be stuffed at the bottom of the page and I'd have to scroll down to see it. With Retrozilla it loads normally at the top of the page now. Craigs List loads much nicer now. Cool :-)

This is a pretty neat project good luck with it :-) I'll definitely be using it now.

*edit* I'm using RZ on WinME, on dial up, with no javascript. If that matters. Anywho, good job thanks.

Edited by ZortMcGort11

Noticing that web pages, for example the Wikipedia page I'm browsing here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psylocke

Page content is more fluid and it scrolls better. Can move up and down the page faster with less jerkiness and or slow motion.

I commend you for your efforts on RetroZilla. I'm sure people will like it.

Edited by ZortMcGort11

I have been playing with the default install for the last few hours. I love it, I'm officially ditching Opera. This is lightweight, fast and doesn't require anything. Just install and go. Youtube works flawlessly. No stuttering, no nags talking about update browser etc... This is my new default browser for the moment. I will play with the features over the weekend. Testing my email with the built-in and other things. Thank you so much for helping make my new year. I will report back. It plays very well with my hybrid system. No errors so far. Keep at it.

Very cool project !!

I especially like the idea that the profile is now located within the actual app folder. Otherwise when testing diff. versions of SeaMonkey you'd have to very careful that your regular profile is not changed that much that is 'unusable' afterwards.

Installing the German language pack worked also great.

But it is kinda weird to use a browser again that does not save opened tabs/sessions for the next use. Do you plan to port this feature ?

And an add-on manager is also needed.

2016 starts great for us 'oldies'   :thumbup 

Is there a file I can delete that gets rid of my cookies? I'd like to make a simple batch file that starts Retrozilla, but erases cookies before starting. Do you know where is that file stored? Is it this file:

\Windows\Application Data\Retrozilla\Profiles\Default\x76df6j6.slt\cookies.txt?

If I delete that^ from a batch file every time will that clear out my cookies? This computer is shared with other people, and I don't want them logging into my accounts and whatnot. Just privacy in general.

Thanks for your work.

Edited by ZortMcGort11

Don't want to get too off topic, but I'm using CCleaner 2.36.1233, is there a way I can just tell CCleaner where and what file to delete?

Under "options" in CCleaner there's an "Include" button that allows me to allegedly delete cust files folder... will that work then If I point it at the cookie file for Retrozilla? Assuming that cookie.txt file in the Windows\App Data directory is the right one?

I'm glad that you guys like it, and I hope it works well for everyone. It will hopefully get even better, as my ultimate goal is to get RZ to pass ACID2. (By that point, most rendering issues should be fixed, Fx3 passes it and it's a world of difference from Fx2 and RZ)

Very cool project !!

I especially like the idea that the profile is now located within the actual app folder. Otherwise when testing diff. versions of SeaMonkey you'd have to very careful that your regular profile is not changed that much that is 'unusable' afterwards.

Installing the German language pack worked also great.

But it is kinda weird to use a browser again that does not save opened tabs/sessions for the next use. Do you plan to port this feature ?

And an add-on manager is also needed.

2016 starts great for us 'oldies'   :thumbup

It's great that you like the separate AppData folder, that was a decision that I had a hard time making and thought would be unpopular. By adding my own folder instead of using the Mozilla one, RZ would be incompatible with old Mozilla Suite profiles that people have been using for years, but taking my long term goals into consideration, RZ may not be compatible with the old Suite for long. (I may add a custom build that uses the old Suite folder, if people want it)

Regarding the language packs, I have no idea how long they will continue to function, I am working on a lot of UI enhancements for 2.0.

The tab sessions feature I will have to look in to. I may have to write a new system entirely, as SeaMonkey's frontend went under a total rewrite between 1.1.19 and 2.0. If an add-on exists for SM 1.x or Netscape/Mozilla and it's MPL'd, I will integrate it into RetroZilla.

An add-on manager is one of my plans, if I can find an existing add-on for Mozilla/NS and it's MPL'd (same as above) I can integrate it into RetroZilla.

I have found a couple of (M), also a small bug. When you select Pictures and Text options, you get no text, only pictures. I use the text only option.

I will try to fix the M's that I didn't find before. I will also look into the modern theme bug. To make it easier to reproduce, what OS are you running and in the case of 98/Me does it have KernelEx?

I have found a couple of (M), also a small bug. When you select Pictures and Text options, you get no text, only pictures. I use the text only option.

After further investigation I discovered that this is not a bug in RetroZilla, but it is in fact not possible to display text and images at the same time with the modern theme enabled. This is a screenshot of the modern theme from Mozilla 1 (2002):

RemsOIo.png

It is the same with NS6 and the latest versions of SeaMonkey. One thing that can be done is enable the Classic theme (view => Apply Theme => Classic), but by doing this you lose the blue/gray theme and get a standard gray Windows interface.