delete shortcuts

If you are using a non-administrator account and deleting software shortcuts created by an adminstrator, you can't do it! If your on the administrator's account, you would be able to by right clicking on the software shortcut and click delete.

you just have to execute a batchfile in GuiRunOnce. there you can use the batch-commands for removing files, directories, creating files and directories and so on.

i managed to get rid of shortcuts created at alluser profile start menu but not on administrator.any clue :rolleyes::D:)

In order to remove shortcuts from the Administrator account you need to remove them from the "Default User" profile during the GUI-Mode setup. This is best done using the CMDLINES.TXT file in your $OEM$ folder. I use an INF file to modify the shortcuts however you could also use a batch file or script to do the same thing.

Some shortcuts are created when the user first logs on (eg Windows Media Player) using Active Setup. You can disable these by removing the StubPath key from the ActiveSetup portion of the Windows registry.

I have attached a copy of the INF I use to remove the shortcuts I don't want from the Start menu. Here is a sample of my CMDLINES.TXT calling the INF files.

;cmdlines.txt
;
;Commands placed in this file are run during GUI mode setup.

[Commands]
"rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 128 .\ActiveSetup.inf"
"rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection AddGroups 128 .\Shortcuts.inf"
"rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection DelShortcuts 128 .\Shortcuts.inf"

Here is the INF file to disable Active Setup:

;ActiveSetup.inf
[Version]
Signature=$CHICAGO$

[DefaultInstall]
DelReg=ActiveSetup.Delete

;Disable Active Setup Items
[ActiveSetup.Delete]
HKLM, "%ActiveSetup%\{5945c046-1e7d-11d1-bc44-00c04fd912be}","Stubpath"    ;Windows Messenger
HKLM, "%ActiveSetup%\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}","Stubpath"   ;Internet Explorer 6
HKLM, "%ActiveSetup%\{6BF52A52-394A-11d3-B153-00C04F79FAA6}","Stubpath"   ;Windows Media Player
HKLM, "%ActiveSetup%\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}","Stubpath"   ;Outlook Express
HKLM, "%ActiveSetup%\>{881dd1c5-3dcf-431b-b061-f3f88e8be88a}","Stubpath"  ;Outlook Express
HKLM, "%ActiveSetup%\>{26923b43-4d38-484f-9b9e-de460746276c}","Stubpath"  ;Internet Explorer
HKLM, "%ActiveSetup%\>{22d6f312-b0f6-11d0-94ab-0080c74c7e95}","Stubpath"  ;Windows Media Player

[strings]
RunOnce = "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce"
RunOnceEx = "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx"
ActiveSetup = "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components"

Shortcuts.inf

I've got these - maybe they'll help...

ECHO.
ECHO Removing Useless Shortcuts
ECHO Please wait...
DEL "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Set Program Access and Defaults.lnk"
DEL "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Windows Catalog.lnk"