bz07

I was wondering if it was at all possible to run windows 98 nativley on new hardware. The built would contain a Pentium G3258,8gb ram,40gb ide drive and ide cd-rom, and a pci graphics card. The pc would also boot linux which would be on a seperate sata harddrive with a sata dvd-rom and use a pci express graphics card. I know you can run 98 with that much ram(change a setting in a file(iv done it before) but am unsure about the processor speed and that its 64 bit. I am aware that Windows 98 will only see one core. I know I could just use virtulization(which I currently do on a difrrent pc) but that takes the fun away.

I'm not quite sure how 8GBs of RAM would work out. It would probably go as unused at best. Rloew's RAM patch will let you use up to 4GBs and his patch is the bomb, but I need to do a little testing with it and Outlook 2002 which I still haven't had time to do actually ^^; But if you want to use a great quantity of RAM reliably, I'd really invest in his patch. It's only $20 and it's great. I didn't regret purchasing it. But as Submix said/asked...what are the other specs of your hardware? What brand/model video card? Motherboard specs itself?

And I agree, virtualization is for *expletive*...using real hardware, especially newer hardware, now that's fun and usually quite rewarding.

Motherboard specs? You didn't supply them...

I'm not quite sure how 8GBs of RAM would work out. It would probably go as unused at best. Rloew's RAM patch will let you use up to 4GBs and his patch is the bomb, but I need to do a little testing with it and Outlook 2002 which I still haven't had time to do actually ^^; But if you want to use a great quantity of RAM reliably, I'd really invest in his patch. It's only $20 and it's great. I didn't regret purchasing it. But as Submix said/asked...what are the other specs of your hardware? What brand/model video card? Motherboard specs itself?

And I agree, virtualization is for *expletive*...using real hardware, especially newer hardware, now that's fun and usually quite rewarding.

Sorry I didn't choose a motherboard yet. I will try to narrow it down to a few by the end of today. Ill let you know my choices when I decide.

Sorry I didn't choose a motherboard yet. I will try to narrow it down to a few by the end of today. Ill let you know my choices when I decide.

My suggestion, go with a board that uses Award BIOS. (Most Gigabytes before UEFI use Award) I've heard that AMI doesn't play nice with Windows 98 and it's not my favorite either. So that's my personal suggestion to you.

Edited by Tommy

A good idea would be to first check your choice against what has been already reported as working:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/97588-modern-motherboards-which-are-working-with-windows-98/

jaclaz

A good idea would be to first check your choice against what has been already reported as working:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/97588-modern-motherboards-which-are-working-with-windows-98/

jaclaz

Yes thank you that did help but its a little outdated. I was looking a little more modern. Its good to hear others want the same as I do!

It may take a while to start with motherboard choosing. I got hammered with a big paper today due Monday. Anyway the pci express graphics card is an ATI RADEON HD 2400 Pro(Asus rebranded it just to use for now) the pci one has no brand/model that I can find. Ill look closer when I get a chance. Ideally though the motherboard would be a recent one and have 2 pci slots. Id use a pci express ide cobtroller if the mobo doesn't have one

It's possible to get Windows 9x running on fairly modern hardware. I've been experimenting some in this area for a while now; I've made it up to an Intel X58 Chipset motherboard but had to sideline further experimentation for a while.

Your main issues to overcome will be the following:

If you are serious about attempting this, then first I advise you to purchase rloew's RAM and SATA patches. It will eliminate a bunch of headache and give you a head start on other problems.

Modern motherboards frequently use ACPI that does not get along well with 9x. This seems to be largely dependent on the type of BIOS. As previously mentioned, AWARD BIOS seems best based on my experience. Avoid newer Intel-branded motherboards (third party (Gigabyte/MSI/etc) boards based on Intel chipset are fine) because their BIOS is useless and they don't play well with 9x. I don't know anything about UEFI as yet.

Be certain that your motherboard allows setting the SATA controllers to Legacy IDE PATA mode unless you purchase rloew's SATA patch. If you have it, then you will need to be able to set the controllers to Native IDE SATA mode. AHCI mode does NOT work with Windows 9x.

Drivers for Windows 9x on newer hardware are virually non existent. This leads to the following points.

Unless you want to run at 640x480x16 or use the experimental generic VBEMP9x driver that doesn't provide 3D acceleration, then you will need to choose a video card that is supported under 9x, as far as I know the last/most powerful ones that work properly are the ATI Radeon X850 XT PE 256MB and the NVidia GeForce 7950GT 256MB/512MB (patch from rloew needed for full use of 512MB or larger cards; also the 7950GX2 1GB card is an unknown at the moment, it works with the last NVidia driver but reports errors and doesn't use its full RAM).

Since most likely no 9x drivers will exist for the onboard hardware, you will need slots available to install a 9x compatible Audio and Network card on top of any other cards you may use. No HD Audio drivers exist for 9x. Some Gigabit Network adapters are supported, but only a handful.

Hopefully this gives you some info to start from.

Edited by LoneCrusader

If you are serious about attempting this, then first I advise you to purchase rloew's RAM and SATA patches. It will eliminate a bunch of headache and give you a head start on other problems.

Absolutely!! Not that we're pressuring you to buy something, but if you're planning on going hardcore with 98 on modern hardware, it's basically full coverage insurance. And if you have any problems with any of rloew's patches, he works with you on them. He doesn't just sell them and say screw you when it comes to support.

Drivers for Windows 9x on newer hardware are virually non existent. This leads to the following points.

No HD Audio drivers exist for 9x. Some Gigabit Network adapters are supported, but only a handful.

The original Creative SB Audigy works well with Windows 98 as well. I don't know if there are any other cards newer that will work but I'd recommend that one. Usually Realtek Gigabit onboard network adapters work, but that's not a guarantee. I like Realtek since they seem to support legacy a bit more, except sound would be impossible since Windows 98 does not support HD audio AT ALL. No driver would ever work. But it does make you wonder if someone went waaaay out of their way to build a different framework...would HD audio then be supported? A simple driver won't work, but if something was written to interact with it, maybe there could be a way? I don't know...I'm just thinking aloud at this point.

Uhhh.... and what makes anyone think DOS/Win9x won't run on a 64-bit processor? :crazy:

(Pssstttt - backwards compatible. ;) )

AMD Athlon 64 X2/Intel Core2 Duo are 64-Bit processors and they run Windows 98 just fine.

It's possible to get Windows 9x running on fairly modern hardware. I've been experimenting some in this area for a while now; I've made it up to an Intel X58 Chipset motherboard but had to sideline further experimentation for a while.

Your main issues to overcome will be the following:

Modern motherboards frequently use ACPI that does not get along well with 9x. This seems to be largely dependent on the type of BIOS. As previously mentioned, AWARD BIOS seems best based on my experience. Avoid newer Intel-branded motherboards (third party (Gigabyte/MSI/etc) boards based on Intel chipset are fine) because their BIOS is useless and they don't play well with 9x. I don't know anything about UEFI as yet.

Be certain that your motherboard allows setting the SATA controllers to Legacy IDE PATA mode unless you purchase rloew's SATA patch. If you have it, then you will need to be able to set the controllers to Native IDE SATA mode. AHCI mode does NOT work with Windows 9x.

Unless you want to run at 640x480x16 or use the experimental generic VBEMP9x driver that doesn't provide 3D acceleration, then you will need to choose a video card that is supported under 9x, as far as I know the last/most powerful ones that work properly are the ATI Radeon X850 XT PE 256MB and the NVidia GeForce 7950GT 256MB/512MB (patch from rloew needed for full use of 512MB or larger cards; also the 7950GX2 1GB card is an unknown at the moment, it works with the last NVidia driver but reports errors and doesn't use its full RAM).

Since most likely no 9x drivers will exist for the onboard hardware, you will need slots available to install a 9x compatible Audio and Network card on top of any other cards you may use. No HD Audio drivers exist for 9x. Some Gigabit Network adapters are supported, but only a handful.

Hopefully this gives you some info to start from.

So buying a Gigabyte,Asrock,Msi, or Asus are good options? They were the brands I was going to choose from. I do have a pci ethernet adaptor but was hoping to get onboard lan to work(maybe use usb wificard iv heard some work under 98).I have a pci graphics card currently used under 95 which I was going to use if my pcie one wouldn't work(I havent look for drivers yet).Sound is an issue though. I have 3 isa soundcards but of course no pci. I really don't want to buy one.

Absolutely!! Not that we're pressuring you to buy something, but if you're planning on going hardcore with 98 on modern hardware, it's basically full coverage insurance. And if you have any problems with any of rloew's patches, he works with you on them. He doesn't just sell them and say screw you when it comes to support.

No HD Audio drivers exist for 9x. Some Gigabit Network adapters are supported, but only a handful.

The original Creative SB Audigy works well with Windows 98 as well. I don't know if there are any other cards newer that will work but I'd recommend that one. Usually Realtek Gigabit onboard network adapters work, but that's not a guarantee. I like Realtek since they seem to support legacy a bit more, except sound would be impossible since Windows 98 does not support HD audio AT ALL. No driver would ever work. But it does make you wonder if someone went waaaay out of their way to build a different framework...would HD audio then be supported? A simple driver won't work, but if something was written to interact with it, maybe there could be a way? I don't know...I'm just thinking aloud at this point.

So if I get a board with realtek or gigabit lan I should hopefully be in luck.(Those were also my two choices I was thinking about). Sound is an is an issue though. I really don't see spending more money for a sound card.