Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Trying Windows XP x64 again

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

AnX

AnX

Fighting for the right to OS since 2010

• PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Joined 20-June 12

Despite my use of Windows XP x86 on the PC below, I happen to run into RAM usage issues even with PAE enabled. It seems in most scenarios, XP will act like its run out of memory and some functions stop working. 64 bit has also proven to provide better performance over 32 bit. So the following reasons are why I will once again, try Windows XP x64 edition.

This is basically a log of how usable the OS will be with my software and whatnot. I have done some VM testing. Malwarebytes Premium works without the website scanner. Malwarebytes Anti Exploit works properly, which is good as it helps for security when using "unsupported" OSes. Microsoft's own Security Essentials works and gets the latest definitions. (surprising, isn't it?)

I can hope it all goes well.

Main rig:
AMD FX-8320 8-core CPU (OC to 4.4GHz) with Hyper 212 Evo, ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Motherboard, 16GB 1600MHz RAM, 60GB OCZ Agility II SSD and 500GB WD Blue HDD, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 2GB Graphics Card, 620W Seasonic S12II, CM HAF 912 case.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

JodyT

JodyT

Not a Win10 Fan :p

• PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Joined 05-April 11

Yeppers, I used the MSE x64 build for Vista/7 and that worked with Windows XP x64 Edition.  Don't forget to visit 5eraph's updates site for a cohesive method of downloading updates after April 2014 up to July 2015.  I think he has it integrated into one pack, but failing that, you can use these updates:

http://wp.xin.at/xp-...-mortem-updates

Cheers,

Jody Thornton

(Thornhill, Ontario)

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,914 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05

Note that the Updates are from Server2k3, so your list of Post-EOL will be a year's worth.

Also see this (mentions 5eraph, BTW) -

http://www.msfn.org/...-december-2015/

HTH

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

OneSerendipity

OneSerendipity
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 19-January 16
Wonderful, XP x64 just needs a few mods to get a usable OS and it's well structured to use all that power of your rig. As for myself, I had used Server 2003 x64, which is what XP x64 is based on, so they have similar compatibility and performance, as they're both not that based on NT 5.1, which is XP x86. It was running very well, but I needn't mod it, since I had been using it specifically for work stuff and I had another computer for entertainment purposes. Since XP x64 also doesn't support 32 bit software that well (drivers for instance), most malware and exploits shouldn't affect it, as most of them are written on 32 bit, and that OS is so stubborn with 32 bit software in general, but you can get rid of that and mod it, as if you would to a server OS to transform it to a workstation. It needs some modding, but you get awesome performance and stability in the end. ;)

AnX

AnX

Fighting for the right to OS since 2010

• PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Joined 20-June 12

Well it's installed and running, so far nothing that has been hampering me. I'll update more soon.

Main rig:
AMD FX-8320 8-core CPU (OC to 4.4GHz) with Hyper 212 Evo, ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Motherboard, 16GB 1600MHz RAM, 60GB OCZ Agility II SSD and 500GB WD Blue HDD, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 2GB Graphics Card, 620W Seasonic S12II, CM HAF 912 case.

Destro

Destro
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 26-January 16

It works fine.  Only issue is some programs that say they are X64 bit don't install or run and there is no fix for that since the developers only want it to run on win 7 and up using API hooks only found there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users