Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Server 2012 Updates on Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

JodyT

JodyT

Not a Win10 Fan :p

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Joined 05-April 11

Well in about a week and a half, Patch Tuesday arrives sans any updates for Windows 8 (as support ran out for the OS on the 12th of January).  So after running System Restore, I will be running WSUS Offline and downloading February's updates for Server 2012.  I'll check the bulletins for each patch and see which of the patches do not relate to server-specific code, and attempt running those.

If my system updates successfully, great.  I have unofficial support.  If not and my system barfs, then I'll return to the last restore point.  Then I'll decide if I stay with Windows 8, or go back to Windows Vista for another year (after all, my taxes will be done and I won't need any newer OS for another year.)

I'll keep you posted on what happens.  I may need to patch/edit the update.inf file somehow, but I'm not sure yet.  This will be the first time that a Windows NT 6x based OS runs out of support, to try this experiment, so I'm eager to see what happens.

:)

Cheers,

Jody Thornton

(Thornhill, Ontario)

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

OneSerendipity

OneSerendipity
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 19-January 16

I would really like to hear so, since Windows 8 is just easier to setup for desktop use than Server 2012, lol.

I do have Server 2012 running in my home laptop though, and it's perfect. DWM feels smoother in NT 6.2 than 6.3 with the glass8 mod, that's why I'll leave 2012 R2 and completely migrate to R1 in the home computer. :P

JodyT

JodyT

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Joined 05-April 11

I'll certainly let you know what happens.

:)

Cheers,

Jody Thornton

(Thornhill, Ontario)

JodyT

JodyT

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Joined 05-April 11

I would really like to hear so, since Windows 8 is just easier to setup for desktop use than Server 2012, lol.

I do have Server 2012 running in my home laptop though, and it's perfect. DWM feels smoother in NT 6.2 than 6.3 with the glass8 mod, that's why I'll leave 2012 R2 and completely migrate to R1 in the home computer. :P

What do you need to customize in Server 2012?  I remember with Server 2003, I had to enable Media Player and Internet connectivity if I wanted to even browse..  I adjusted RAM for programs vs cache.  Does it come with the main Windows 8 desktop, or is it like "Classic"?

Cheers,

Jody Thornton

(Thornhill, Ontario)

OneSerendipity

OneSerendipity
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 19-January 16

Server 2012 has the Aero Lite theme of 8 by default, but you should be able to change to the normal Aero theme of 8 in Personalization. I changed to a custom Vista theme for Windows 8, which works perfect. For all of those bells and whistles of the Aero theme, you can just go to the advanced system settings and change performance settings in there. Of course, for features like Media Player, you still need to install Desktop Experience, along with WLAN Service and .NET Framework 3.5 to get some apps to install and work. 

JodyT

JodyT

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Joined 05-April 11

I have noticed, for whatever it may be worth, that WSUS Offline Downloader has dispensed with any inclusion of updates for Windows NT 6.2, as of v10.4.  So neither Windows 8 no Server 2012 has been included.  How do they expect downloading of Server 2012 patches?

Patch Tuesday is tomorrow, so I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,

Jody Thornton

(Thornhill, Ontario)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

PRB