KB3174060

IE10
KB3170106

.NET
(3.5) KB3163246, (4.52) KB3163250, (4.61) KB3164023

See you all after the system restart.

:)

Weren't you offered KB3170735?
Well, of course I'm following Woody in recommending to avoid (and hide) it, when offered, but I thought it'd be pushed to you, too.
So, then, does that mean not even MS really thinks it's truly important? :D 

No Dencorso, Windows 8 does not receive Automatic Updates (Windows 8.1 does).  I have to go search out all of the Server 2012 updates and use the Standalone Installer.

Is KB3170735 a telemetry update or GWX daemon?  If so, then Windows 8 does not get those at all.

@bphlpt:

Even so, the updates are not for Windows Server 2012 (initial release), and thus not for Windows 8 (initial release).  Interesting just the same.

The point is that I'm NEVER offered updates at all, unlike what Dencorso might have thought.  No biggie.  Windows 8 is out of support, no differently than Windows XP is.

:)

Just updated the repository with this month's updates. Here's to 6 and a half more years :D

BTW, a little bit off topic, but I was digging around about Windows Vista and Server 2008, and it turns out Server 2008 got Powershell v3.0, but Vista never got it! You'd think that both OSs being the same would make installing the update easy, but it blocks itself on Vista! (I've tried.)
Windows 8.0 and Server 2012 might have the same thing with Powershell v5.0 (it says it's only compatible with Server.) Is there any way to remove the OS restriction on these kind of updates?

2 hours ago, greenhillmaniac said:

Just updated the repository with this month's updates. Here's to 6 and a half more years :D

BTW, a little bit off topic, but I was digging around about Windows Vista and Server 2008, and it turns out Server 2008 got Powershell v3.0, but Vista never got it! You'd think that both OSs being the same would make installing the update easy, but it blocks itself on Vista! (I've tried.)
Windows 8.0 and Server 2012 might have the same thing with Powershell v5.0 (it says it's only compatible with Server.) Is there any way to remove the OS restriction on these kind of updates?

See, I would've just skipped updates that were relegated to Server only features.  I am fairly certain that the updates for PowerShell 5.0 will fail on Windows 8, but I cannot confirm that.  But I would expect that updates for any server feature would fail on the workstation OS.

But Powershell is not exactly a workstation only feature.  Power user, yes, but not workstation, IMO.  Powershell is just MS's next generation CMD language, and it isn't new by any definition.

Cheers and Regards

7 minutes ago, bphlpt said:

But Powershell is not exactly a workstation only feature.  Power user, yes, but not workstation, IMO.  Powershell is just MS's next generation CMD language, and it isn't new by any definition.

Cheers and Regards

BUT it is much more readable than CMD :w00t::ph34r:, at least according to someone (JFYI ;))

http://reboot.pro/topic/21074-windows-10-is-now-shipping-with-linux-command-line/?p=198581

jaclaz

Just in case you've already started getting naga to update from IE10 to IE11 (which is not possible on 8), here is a small reg spoof to tell those sites you're using IE11. Since I've decided to remain using IE10 on 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, I'm getting those nags from time to time, so I provide my solution in case it may help others avoid such nags. Remember, after copying the text below to a text file, make sure it ends with two blank lines, then rename the file from .txt to .reg and merge it to the registry. A good site to check the UserAgent, both before and after the spoof is applied is this one. It's necessary to reboot, for the spoof to start working.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\User Agent]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\User Agent]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\User Agent]
@="Mozilla/5.0"
"Version"="MSIE 11.0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\User Agent]
@="Mozilla/5.0
"Version"="MSIE 11.0"

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent]
@=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent]
@=""

• 3 weeks later...
On Saturday, July 16, 2016 at 7:10 PM, dencorso said:

Since I've decided to remain using IE10 on 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, I'm getting those nags from time to time, so I provide my solution in case it may help others avoid such nags.

Out of curiosity, what do you like about IE10 that you don't like about IE11?

Neat solution BTW.  :thumbup

--JorgeA

On 7/16/2016 at 8:10 PM, dencorso said:

Since I've decided to remain using IE10 on 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, I'm getting those nags from time to time, so I provide my solution in case it may help others avoid such nags.

15 minutes ago, JorgeA said:

Out of curiosity, what do you like about IE10 that you don't like about IE11?

Well, I always avoided useless updates, if possible. Since my main browser is FF 47.0.1, I saw no need to upgrade from 10... and when I was starting to consider doing it, at long last, MS released KB3146449, a deal breaker IMO (bundled inside MS16-023: Security update for IE: March 8, 2016), so I then remained on IE10, to benefit from its inability to receive any patches from Feb 2016 !!! Now, of course, in the case of Windows 8.0 and Server 2012, it still receives updates, but IE11 refuses to install on those OSes (and there's no KB3146449 for those OSes, either... MS must consider their users as lost-case die-hards).

Thanks, den.

Reason I asked is that I just made the switch to IE11 from IE9 on my main Windows 7 machine a few weeks ago, as I got tired of websites not working. (And the reason for using IE is that I visit a number of news sites and they have this annoying "feature" of automatically refreshing themselves, and IE is the only browser that I know can "freeze" a website so that I can read the whole thing without it refreshing and interrupting my reading.)

FWIW, I don't seem to have that KB3146449 installed, unless it's bundled in a later IE cumulative security update. But if so, then (to quote from the KB article) I have not come across any new "functionality to Internet Explorer 11 on some computers that lets users learn about Windows 10 or start an upgrade to Windows 10." Maybe my Win7 PC doesn't make the cut to be included among those "some computers."  :)

--JorgeA