Server 2012 Updates on Windows 8

Jody Thornton

Well in about a week and a half, Patch Tuesday arrives sans any updates for Windows 8 (as support ran out for the OS on the 12th of January).  So after running System Restore, I will be running WSUS Offline and downloading February's updates for Server 2012.  I'll check the bulletins for each patch and see which of the patches do not relate to server-specific code, and attempt running those.

If my system updates successfully, great.  I have unofficial support.  If not and my system barfs, then I'll return to the last restore point.  Then I'll decide if I stay with Windows 8, or go back to Windows Vista for another year (after all, my taxes will be done and I won't need any newer OS for another year.)

I'll keep you posted on what happens.  I may need to patch/edit the update.inf file somehow, but I'm not sure yet.  This will be the first time that a Windows NT 6x based OS runs out of support, to try this experiment, so I'm eager to see what happens.

:)

Here's Greenhillmaniacs Repository of Server 2012 Patches that are Suitable for Windows 8

https://mega.nz/#F!ExhDEbDA!pUhzXKVp5-hgzvylW_btfQ

Edited by Jody Thornton

I would really like to hear so, since Windows 8 is just easier to setup for desktop use than Server 2012, lol.

I do have Server 2012 running in my home laptop though, and it's perfect. DWM feels smoother in NT 6.2 than 6.3 with the glass8 mod, that's why I'll leave 2012 R2 and completely migrate to R1 in the home computer. :P

I would really like to hear so, since Windows 8 is just easier to setup for desktop use than Server 2012, lol.

I do have Server 2012 running in my home laptop though, and it's perfect. DWM feels smoother in NT 6.2 than 6.3 with the glass8 mod, that's why I'll leave 2012 R2 and completely migrate to R1 in the home computer. :P

What do you need to customize in Server 2012?  I remember with Server 2003, I had to enable Media Player and Internet connectivity if I wanted to even browse..  I adjusted RAM for programs vs cache.  Does it come with the main Windows 8 desktop, or is it like "Classic"?

Server 2012 has the Aero Lite theme of 8 by default, but you should be able to change to the normal Aero theme of 8 in Personalization. I changed to a custom Vista theme for Windows 8, which works perfect. For all of those bells and whistles of the Aero theme, you can just go to the advanced system settings and change performance settings in there. Of course, for features like Media Player, you still need to install Desktop Experience, along with WLAN Service and .NET Framework 3.5 to get some apps to install and work. 

I have noticed, for whatever it may be worth, that WSUS Offline Downloader has dispensed with any inclusion of updates for Windows NT 6.2, as of v10.4.  So neither Windows 8 no Server 2012 has been included.  How do they expect downloading of Server 2012 patches?

Patch Tuesday is tomorrow, so I'll keep you posted.

Well I got home later than I anticipated, but ran System Restore to create a Restore Point.  Then I downloaded six updates (five for Windows Server 2012, and one for Internet Explorer 10).  I had shut off the Windows Update service and had cleared the \Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder on a previous occasion, so I started the service and let the folder populate.

Then I manually installed all of the updates one by one.  (KB3115858, KB3123294, KB3126593, KB3126587 and KB3124280, plus KB3134814 for IE10)

Now I had removed IE10 from my system (and even deleted the disk payload for the feature using the DISM command), but I thought perhaps that the IE update would improve security in the IE engine files that may still reside on the system.  All updates installed without incident.  Now to reboot.

Be right back ...

:)

So I guess Server 2012 Updates do install.

And I guess you're covered till Jan 10, 2023 !!! :yes::thumbup

Yes it's what it seems.  Now I'll use this thread for month to month results, and see how it goes from there.  Even the IE updates go through.  And v10, also not as good as 11, still browses most sites (should I need to use it ever)

Hmm, just because you can't download it...  I wonder if you got your hands on it, would it install anyway?  Then the next wonder would be if it is an installer issue, if you could get around that could it be forced?  Maybe not, but still...

Hey, at least you shouldn't be harassed to update to Windows 10, since your system won't even run Windows 8.1. :)

Cheers and Regards

Well this is nice to know. I can confirm that the updates work on my 8 system as well: http://prntscr.com/a1pp70

I hope we're able to keep updating 8 until 2023 with this method.

Technically, I could upgrade to 8.1, but since 8 works, I just don't see a reason to do so at this time.

Well I'm happy even as it is.  Plus this also gives Vista users added hope (since they're in a similar situation).  They'll likely be able to do the same with patches from the original Server 2008.

Since I still use Vista on some other machines, I'll be grateful if that works as well. I had planned to continue using Vista as my main OS until at least 2017, but after building my new haswell machine, the hardware just won't take Vista at all. I'm really enjoying the speed and added desktop features/improvements of 8 over Vista though, so I can't say I really miss Vista too much. I also found myself running into so many compatibility issues with Vista with other software, unfortunately.

Anyway, thanks for finding this out.