98SE on a Dell Dimension 4600

jakeypearce

sounds like BIOS doesn't like something-with the fact you have to coax it to continue.

For what's it's worth,  I'm using a dimension 3000 right now in 98se which has pretty close specs to the 4600 but probably a totally different BIOS.  Also had to install with "p i" switch otherwise all the resources were taken by ACPI

BIOS settings:  HD is on primary ide master and cd is secondary master.  256mb aperature. disabled legacy usb 

I'm using the onboard Intel Extreme graphics 2 with 8mb shared memory.

I think I installed with 1gb ram-usually what I do.

Go into Safe Mode via F8 before 98 starts to boot. *If* you do get into safe mode, right click my computer on the desktop, go to properties. Click on the Performance tab. Click on File System. Click on the troubleshooting tab. Check "disable all 32-bit protected mode disk drivers" click ok and then reboot into normal mode. See if setup will finish properly now. If it does, you might just need Rloew's SATA patch. My current project computer even with using IDE and an IDE hard drive, it still required the SATA patch to work perfectly. But try that and see if you get anywhere because the third part of setup does act strange if there's a problem with the disk drivers.