Program to Capture Video from TV News Website

Monroe

I have tried a few programs but they are not able to capture this video from an Ohio TV station ... it's not a YouTube video and it's probably protected in some way.

I can watch it but I would like to save it to show or watch later on.

Any ideas if such a program exists ... a local girl from Toledo was the winner of Project Runway Junior last night (Thursday) and there was a show party at a local pizza place with around 200 people watching the final episode on big screen tvs ... when she won the place went wild with everyone watching.

http://www.wtol.com/clip/12192895/toledo-school-for-the-arts-student-maya-ramirez-wins-project-runway-junior

Maya Ramirez, 14, of Maumee, Ohio was one of four finalists in the reality show. And when they announced her as the winner in the season's last episode Thursday, her fans back at home went wild.

I watched this new show on Lifetime when it started Nov 12, 2015 to the end last night. It was really good and she was my pick to win on the first night the show aired last November.

That's the TV News web page with the video. It may be two videos totaling 8 and 2.5 minutes long ... they run together.

Can videos like this be saved ... I think they could years back but everything is different now. I posted here since I am using XP.

thanks ...

Edited by monroe

Thanks for IDing the possible container ... I couldn't even do that. Still can't figure out how to save the news video.

Just to add ... they ran the trailer for the show last summer in Aug, Sep and Oct ... when this show statrted filming last summer Maya the winner was only 13 ... the youngest one of all the teens on the show ... she learned to sew from watching YouTube videos ... so mature for her age ... the teens were so much better than the adults on the regular Project Runway show.

I tried to post the official Project Runway Junior trailer link that ran last Summer but it doesn't work right.

Here is a link to the page ... it is eight videos down ... if anyone might be interested.

PROJECT RUNWAY JUNIOR TRAILER

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=project+runway+junior&page=3

Edited by monroe

Thanks for IDing the possible container ... I couldn't even do that.

In the future, you can figure that out by simply looking at the web page source code which all browsers can do, AFAIK. :)

As to downloading the video, I don't use XP these days, but FWIW, I use Comodo Dragon, a Chrome variant, as my primary browser.  One of the extensions that is available for it is Comodo Media Grabber.  It doesn't always work, but it does in this case.  When it works, not only can you download the video in question, sometimes in a variety of formats, but it allows you to inspect the webpage element and find the actual video link.  In this case, it only found the one 8 minute video, and it's direct link is - http://wtol.videodownload.worldnow.com/WTOL_20160205132910217AB.mp4.  Video DownloadHelper is another extension available for Chrome variants which in this case finds the same video link. Whether those extensions or similar ones are available for your browser of choice you'll have to check and see.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

bphlpt ... thanks for the information and the video. I had a few videos last year that I wanted to save but couldn't figure out how to do so. I noticed after I posted the last post ... the ID of the video source.

I have downloaded the Comodo Dragon browser and will give it a try.

HarryTri ... I was mostly trying to work with sites where you put the actual link in but it didn't work.

What bphlpt posted about Comodo Dragon and the Comodo Media Grabber extension may be of interest ... I'm going to work with it and see if I can get it to work for any future videos.

thanks again ...

Be sure to also check out the Video DownloadHelper extension as well.  Getting copies of YouTube videos used to be easy, but have become more and more problematic.  I don't have an extension on any of my browsers that are consistently reliable.  For YouTube and videos on Facebook etc, you can try this link - https://en.savefrom.net/9-how-to-download-facebook-video.html.  Go to that page and paste the link to your YouTube video in the box and click the (>) on the right.  Most of the time it will then give you links to download the video in multiple formats.  But, for example, it doesn't work on the above link that started this thread.

Bottom line, I haven't found one single method that always works, so you probably need to collect multiple methods.  Usually, at least one of them will work, but it's hit or miss.

Cheers and Regards

I use Youtube Downloader HD for videos directly from YouTube ... it never fails. When you right click to copy the video link ... it is automatically copied to be downloaded.

So those videos are no problem so far ... just download into a Video folder or wherever.

I only use the "portable" version so if there is an update, it's easy to just delete the old folder and add the new version folder. They don't update too often unless YouTube makes changes.

Youtube Downloader HD v2.9.9.27 (current)

http://www.youtubedownloaderhd.com/download.html

Main Downloads:

Download Youtube Downloader HD

Version 2.9.9.27 Free. 9 MB. With installer.

For Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/7/8/10

FLV Converter

Version 1.2 Free. 3.6 MB. With installer.

Handy free tool to convert FLV files to AVI video

Youtube Downloader HD - Portable Version

Version 2.9.9.27 Free. 10 MB. Without installer. Standalone exe file.

For Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/7/8/10

I don't know about Facebook and such ... I will check out what you posted.

Thanks again.

monroe