Jump to content

Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account



Photo

Win98 on Gigabyte GA-965GM-S2 Rev 2.0 issues

- - - - -

  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1
Tommy

Tommy

    Brooke's Tommy Honey <3

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Joined 19-February 10
  • OS:98SE
  • Country: Country Flag

So, this is a really fun motherboard that I bought and actually didn't realize that the one I own with a bloated capacitor is its ancestor of the same model, except Rev 1.0. I thought for sure I got Windows 98 on there with no problems at all. So let me start out where I'm having issues.

 

It's got 1 IDE port on it, fine. Well, not fine actually. Even with IDE mode completely enabled, Oak CD-ROM driver cannot even find the actual drive. So great, must be some sort of SATA interface regardless.

 

So, I managed to get Windows 98 mostly installed via flash drive and now is where I'm having issues. The one error I got dealt with the IDE driver where one device is using 32-bit mode and the other is using compatibility mode. Of course it didn't say which one...but once it would restart both would use compatibility mode. Fine. Well, I got to the third part of setup and it asked me to put the time in. As soon as I hit okay after making my selections, screen goes blank and it basically just freezes up.

 

So now is where I'm sort of stuck. I'm still working on it and waiting for something to happen as I'm typing this up, but while reading another thread on it, it says check here before resulting to Google because Google isn't your friend when it comes to finding genuine Windows 98 information.

 

So while poking around, I used LoneCrusader's machineX.inf patch and loaded it successfully, to my knowledge anyway. So I'm not sure exactly what is going on right now. I am able to get into safe mode just fine. I'm using a PCI card for video instead of the onboard. I have Rloew's RAM patch installed for precaution. But this is where I'm wondering if maybe the SATA patch is needed. I don't want to just purchase it without knowing if it'll actually fix my problem or not. But considering that the 98 bootup CD isn't recognized while using boot with CD-ROM, I'm guessing that's an issue.

 

Help please? :)


Daily running Windows 2000 Pro SP4 and Windows 98 Second Edition

2dtzy51.png
stillwin9xmsfnbt0.png



How to remove advertisement from MSFN

#2
Drugwash

Drugwash

    MSFN Addict

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
  • Joined 21-June 06
  • OS:98SE
  • Country: Country Flag

Oh, you sure know how to get into trouble. :lol: If I were you I'd return it and ask for a refund. :)

(not helpful, I know)



#3
Tommy

Tommy

    Brooke's Tommy Honey <3

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Joined 19-February 10
  • OS:98SE
  • Country: Country Flag

Oh, you sure know how to get into trouble. :lol: If I were you I'd return it and ask for a refund. :)

(not helpful, I know)

Haha, I know. XD

Anyway, a slight update. I removed the IDE controllers and I was then able to finish setup. So I managed to get just a bit further than I did before. It's complaining about vnetbios.vxd right now, which I am investigating. But I will get this working if it kills me. :w00t:


Daily running Windows 2000 Pro SP4 and Windows 98 Second Edition

2dtzy51.png
stillwin9xmsfnbt0.png


#4
Drugwash

Drugwash

    MSFN Addict

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
  • Joined 21-June 06
  • OS:98SE
  • Country: Country Flag

Any BIOS update available for the board? Risky but may fix something.

I'd say 95% you'll need the SATA patch but the rest 5% are reserved for BIOS quirks.



#5
Tommy

Tommy

    Brooke's Tommy Honey <3

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Joined 19-February 10
  • OS:98SE
  • Country: Country Flag

Any BIOS update available for the board? Risky but may fix something.

I'd say 95% you'll need the SATA patch but the rest 5% are reserved for BIOS quirks.

I already flashed it to the latest possible version, so I think it's at F8f right now.


Daily running Windows 2000 Pro SP4 and Windows 98 Second Edition

2dtzy51.png
stillwin9xmsfnbt0.png


#6
Drugwash

Drugwash

    MSFN Addict

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
  • Joined 21-June 06
  • OS:98SE
  • Country: Country Flag

I just looked at the specs on the site. Ouch! video X3000? SATA II? Gigabit LAN? HD audio? I wonder what's actually usable in 9x on that board, except for half or quarter CPU…

Also, Gigabyte are known for messing with the BIOS (maybe not as much as Soyo or Biostar but still) so it shouldn't wonder if the IDE issues stem from their "improvements".

But I guess Mr. Loew might offer much better explanations and details.






2 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users


    Drugwash, Tommy