Win98 on Gigabyte GA-965GM-S2 Rev 2.0 issues

Tommy

Not true. Why do you think Cable Select was designed in the first place.

You just have to be careful to connect the Drives in the proper order.

Well :), the point as often happens is not about why it was designed, but rather about how it was implemented

Surely, when it works, it works very nicely. :yes:

jaclaz

P.S.: you may well write the rules of the SATA club the way you want, but you simply cannot state that the rules for the IDE club that I just invented are not true, you are not even a member whilst I am a founder!

Edited by jaclaz

Not true. Why do you think Cable Select was designed in the first place.

You just have to be careful to connect the Drives in the proper order.

Well :), the point as often happens is not about why it was designed, but rather about how it was implemented.

Surely, when it works, it works very nicely. :yes:

jaclaz

P.S.: you may well write the rules of the SATA club the way you want, but you simply cannot state that the rules for the IDE club that I just invented are not true, you are not even a member whilst I am a founder!

The implementation isn't that bad either.

It took a determined standards breaker like Microsoft to ruin it.

The rules of Microsoft override the rules of Jaclaz, founder or not. Check the Code. ESDI_506 Code in this case.

For most of the test, I've left the DVD drive disconnected and it made no difference as far as how the hard drive itself operated and is detected within Windows.

It won't. Only the DVD Drive would be affected.

Major Update: The SATA patch was needed. Both drives work perfectly under 32-bit protected mode. Both drives didn't even need reconfiguring, they just work now like they're suppose to. So if anyone is having problems with their machines like this..the SATA patch may just be what you need. It's well worth the investment.

What's nice is I can even use SATA drives themselves now (:

Edited by Tommy

The onboard Marvell Gigabit LAN chip has a provided 9x driver according to the Gigabyte page for the board.

Some boards of this era have Audio chips that are supposedly switchable between HD Audio and AC'97, I have a board that claims this, but have never tried to use the Audio on it yet. Check the manual and the BIOS settings to see what's available.

The onboard Marvell Gigabit LAN chip has a provided 9x driver according to the Gigabyte page for the board.

Some boards of this era have Audio chips that are supposedly switchable between HD Audio and AC'97, I have a board that claims this, but have never tried to use the Audio on it yet. Check the manual and the BIOS settings to see what's available.

I downloaded the one from the Gigabyte site, it says it's suppose to be for Windows 98, but it will not install and I can't seem to extract the inf file for it. But it's not a big deal since like I said, I'm using wireless since I don't want to run a wire to my bedroom.

This board I think is just plain HD audio, it's the azailia codec. I have seen though where there are boards that can switch between the two but I don't think this one can since it's just auto or disabled, those are the only two options to set. But of course like I said, my Sound Blaster has me covered in the sound department so onboard sound is no big deal to me.

I just ordered a Pentium Dual Core for this machine, it's the E2220 which I think is the fastest Pentium for it. I wanted a bit more clock speed but I didn't want to spend a lot for the actual processor nor did I want one that sucks 95 watts of power so I think this will be a good balance. It's a bit over a 500MHz speed boost which will help a little bit. But so far this machine is running great, I'm liking it!

I have several Linksys WUSB54G lying around- I got away from them when I saw how much % cpu the Linksys utility uses- was about 50% every other second.  Of course, there may be another cpu friendly utility that would work with the device.

They don't seem so bad on Windows 98 that I can see, but on Windows 2000...they could be a nightmare. Instead I'd use the BVRP Connection Lite utility instead of the Linksys utility.

So now I'm thinking if and when funds exist, a PCI-Express NVidia GeForce 6800 256MB, would that work with the latest available drivers? I'm using modded drivers that I found somewhere but can't remember where now, it says it's driver version 82.69 and supports up to 8xxx, but I think 6800 would well serve my needs, especially if PCI-Express. Does anyone know if I should be just good to go with that?

I downloaded the one from the Gigabyte site, it says it's suppose to be for Windows 98, but it will not install and I can't seem to extract the inf file for it. But it's not a big deal since like I said, I'm using wireless since I don't want to run a wire to my bedroom.

IIRR, it should be possible to harness the DOS driver for the Gb LAN (and there *ought to be* at least one such driver). I don't have experience with making such a setup work, but Dave-H did it recently with his current board, and I'm sure he'll chime in as soon as he sees this. If not, please do PM him about it.

I'll do that, even if it doesn't matter, I'd actually have a completed list in device manager. Once I really "finish" this machine, I'll PM you with the details to add it to the Windows 98 hall of fame. :thumbup

Northbridge: Intel® G965 Express Chipset

Southbridge: Intel® ICH8

No AGP slots - PCI/PCIe only.

Great! So we've got win-9x fully compatibly with 9xx/ICH8 have we?

And a PCIe video card too!

Tell me where I can download these 9xx/ICH8 win-9x chipset drivers...