IE8 and the Web Pages HTTPS

Sampei.Nihira

Some Web pages open correctly:

That's true with more browsers than just versions of IE.  That even happens with me with Chrome on Windows 7 on some sites.

The reason, AFAIK, is due to the poor design of the Web page, more than the fault of the browser or the OS.

Cheers and Regards

Mine too. Now, lots of things aren't working right on IE8 anymore. Sometimes, spoofing IE9 may help... mostly, however, not anymore. Nowadays I use IE8 solely for visiting the MS Update site and the MS Update Catalog. For any other web activity I use FF 44.0, :) or Pale Moon (Atom/XP) 26.0.3, :wub: or the latest Chrome, :puke: when all else fails. IE8 is growing unusable by the day, I'm sorry to say... :(

Some Web pages open correctly:

image.jpg

Others do not:

image.jpg

Why?

TH.

Google does NOT work on IE8 under XP x64 for some reason, while it does work for others under XP x86. I noticed this during a separate issue I was working on. Very strange and annoying.

This is due to the fact that many websites including https://google.com require a SHA 256 compatible browser.

As you may recall, the POODLE SSL3 vulnerability broke last year, and many websites rushed to update their servers from SHA 1 to SHA 2.

SHA 256 compatibility was introduced in XP Service Pack 3, which was never released for x64. So these websites will remain broken on XP SP2 x64.

The only way to access these sites on the operating system is to use a browser like Firefox or Chrome where the SHA 256 is dependent on the browser, NOT the OS. However, Internet Explorer is dependent at the OS level, and XP pre-SP3 does not support SHA 256. This is also why you cannot access Google on Windows 98/2000 in Internet Explorer 6.0, unless you are using IE 5.5 (ironically SSL 2.0 still works!) or TLS enabled instead or you use an alternate browser such as Firefox.

You can find additional information here: https://support.globalsign.com/customer/portal/articles/1499561-sha-256-compatibility

Edited by sdfox7

This is due to the fact that many websites including https://google.com require a SHA 256 compatible browser.

As you may recall, the POODLE SSL3 vulnerability broke last year, and many websites rushed to update their servers from SHA 1 to SHA 2.

SHA 256 compatibility was introduced in XP Service Pack 3, which was never released for x64. So these websites will remain broken on XP SP2 x64.

The only way to access these sites on the operating system is to use a browser like Firefox or Chrome where the SHA 256 is dependent on the browser, NOT the OS. However, Internet Explorer is dependent at the OS level, and XP pre-SP3 does not support SHA 256. This is also why you cannot access Google on Windows 98/2000 in Internet Explorer 6.0, unless you are using IE 5.5 (ironically SSL 2.0 still works!) or TLS enabled instead or you use an alternate browser such as Firefox.

You can find additional information here: https://support.globalsign.com/customer/portal/articles/1499561-sha-256-compatibility

Thanks for the info; now that I knew some specific issues to Google for it led me to a solution. But no, not all of these sites will remain broken now. :sneaky:

XP x64 users should install KB2868626/MS13-095 and KB3072630/MS15-074. The latter may entirely supersede the former but I installed both and now Google is working on IE8 under XP x64. It also fixed the other issue I had which got discussed elsewhere in an unrelated thread.

I don't know whether older versions of Internet Explorer might also benefit from these updates... possibilities anyone? :unsure:

These updates are also available in x86 versions.

EDIT: It may or may not be relevant that I had previously spoofed the IE User Agent to IE9 on this system. If the two updates I listed don't fix the issue this tweak may also be required.

Edited by LoneCrusader