EMET on up-to-date Windows XP

Dave-H

When the two as much tolerated in my VM, I'm going on a test computer try all the time, especially as a physical hardware is prerequisite so diverse Exploit tests run correctly. The HitmanPro.Alert I will test first time in my VM, thanks for the info.

:)

Edited by heinoganda

The EMET 4.1sp1 .NET Framework 4 is required, which is the smallest problem. Which I think is problematic is the newer EMET versions on Windows XP are no longer functional. Over the long term because MBAE or HPA3, support as long as these Windows XP yet, a protrusion get what exploit detection and the functional capability of the protected programs relates. The attack scenarios change, because the protection software should be supplemented accordingly.

:)

Edited by heinoganda

Hello, Gentlemen.  Am I understanding you correctly?  I run BitDefender and MalwareBytes Anti-Exploit.  Can I safely remove ALL .Net Framework from my PC?  I thought some apps used .Net as part of their programming code?  For what it's worth my two major applications I use are Outlook and Word from Office 2003.  Thanks in advance for the clarification!

Also, I'd like to mention using Norton's ConnectSafe free DNS as another layer of malware Defense.  Below is the link should you feel like checking it out.

https://dns.norton.com/configurePC.html

Edited by SD73

It depends on the software you use. I have installed .NET Framework 2.0, 3.5 and 4.0 so I don't have to remember to install these everytime I want to test some software.

Currently the only software on my system that requires .NET Framework is QTTabBar and the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator. Nothing else.

BTW, Does Norton ConnectSafe DNS block links to malicious Adware install applications? Because Google Safe Browsing does not block these.

Edited by Acheron

Thanks for taking the time, Acheron.  It looks like Office 2003 needs .Net because of "PIA"s.  I'm not sure exactly what part of Office that is or if I use it, but I'll leave it alone just in case.

Re: Norton's DNS.  I guess the best answer to your question is maybe.  They try to keep their DNS servers as updated as they can with known malicious websites trying deploy malware or scam you in one way or another.  If you try going to the website you browser will give you an "Unsafe" message warning you against going.  That said, if a malware is on a website that Norton has not updated its DNS with you won't be blocked or warned from going there.  So that's why I say it's a good free first defense.

Instead of EMET I use Crystal Anti-Exploit. It seems to offer far better protection on Windows XP than EMET. Unfortunately, some web browsers malfunction or act rather sluggish when protected by Crystal Anti-Exploit. You can read a tutorial and some discussion about it here.

Phil

Not all anti-exploit are equal. Best with XP are MBAE and HPA3.

That may be so, but they are not free. Crystal Anti-Exploit is free, and it seems to be very strong protection (perhaps too strong in some cases). I tested Crystal Anti-Exploit using SurfRight's Exploit Test Tool, and it failed to block only two of the tests.

Phil

I just read a blog this morning that caught my attention concerning EMET v 4.1

Seems one of the security firms has identified vulnerabilities with EMET that we should take note of.  Read the report at this link:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3037009/security/attackers-can-turn-microsofts-exploit-defense-tool-emet-against-itself.html

This may be just enought to motivate me to move to MBAE