Installing SP4.

Roffen

@Roffen,

Which of the following would you rather do?

(1) Install SP4 to your current, existing, working, live XP install

(2) Create a new XP install source that already includes SP4

You can do either, but if you tell us which one you would prefer to do, we'll try to give you the easiest way to do it.  (1) should be the easiest, assuming you have a relatively standard existing XP install, since it should require the least amount of time and no extra tools, But I think you had some trouble when you tried this earlier.

For (1) or (2) above, since you have had some problems installing SP4 when you tried this earlier, you should also tell us:

For (1) What version of XP is installed and what source did you use to install this version of XP, ie which SP level, retail or OEM, or any other details you can think of.  Is there anything special or unique about your existing XP install?

For (2) What is the exact version of the existing XP source that you have and wish to use?

Also, if you want to do (2), tell us whether you want to create a DVD or use a USB stick to install from.  Have you created a slipstreamed XP install source before, such as XP SP3?

It will also be helpful to know if you are going to need any additional drivers in order to get things installed.  I'll assume since you are at least a little familiar with installing those drivers in your existing XP install that those shouldn't be a problem, since their installation should be done the exact same way for SP4.  But if you can identify those drivers for us and confirm how you plan to install them, it might help to head off any misunderstanding.

Cheers and Regards

Thanks for putting things in perspective for me!

Right now I am trying to come to grips with nLite, I believe that should make life easier for me.

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/nlite-windows-installation-customizer/

I already have a clean XP installation that I made for experimental purposes so I'll start with the first alternative.

My XP is an original MS "For Refurbished PCs", version 5.12.2600 Sp3 build 2600.

AFAIK, I don't need any additional drivers.

Next, I want to create a DVD with XP + SP4 integrated so further installations will be straightforward.

I think I see some light near the end of the tunnel.

Update:

I want to "Create a new XP install source that already includes SP4"

BTW, when I shut down the pc earlier today, it downloaded 148 Windows updates.

Edited by Roffen

Turn off Auto-Updates -

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/306525

Turn off "Automatic Updates" Alert Balloon (or it will nag about being turned off) -

http://www.pchell.com/support/winxpsecurityalerts.shtml

HTH

BTW, you really don't want AutoUpdates running while you work with nLite.

Or do you want "Power Savings" enabled (select "Presentation). Or Hibernation (under Advanced).

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001000.htm

Yes, you definitely want to turn off Auto updates no matter which approach you want to try.

I already have a clean XP installation that I made for experimental purposes so I'll start with the first alternative.

My XP is an original MS "For Refurbished PCs", version 5.12.2600 Sp3 build 2600.

AFAIK, I don't need any additional drivers.

OK, for the first alternative, what I referred to as (1) above, ie installing SP4 to your existing XP install, you will need to download the file WindowsXP-USP4-v3.1a-x86-ENU.exe. You can find that file by going to RyanVM, you might need to be a registered member but it's absolutely safe and they will never share your info nor send you any kind of emails.  Look for the link to the cloud storage and go there to find the file or use the torrent that is listed in the first post, whichever you prefer.  If you choose the torrent, you can deselect any file you don't want to download.  No matter how you get it, you should double check to make sure that the file's MD5 matches what is listed in the first post of the RyanVM thread to be sure that the file was downloaded successfully.

When you say that you have a clean XP install that you made for experimental purposes, I assume you mean that if something goes wrong that you can scrap it, recreate it, and start over, right?  Very smart.  And from what you say, this installation of XP is XP SP3, correct?

Assuming that this clean XP SP3 install is on "C:" when it is loaded and running, then put WindowsXP-USP4-v3.1a-x86-ENU.exe somewhere easy to find, such as "C:\SP4\WindowsXP-USP4-v3.1a-x86-ENU.exe", but also keeping a copy of it on a different disc just in case you need to wipe C: and start over. Then, while your clean XP install is running, execute WindowsXP-USP4-v3.1a-x86-ENU.exe, either by double clicking on it or via command line whichever way you are most comfortable with. Then sit back with a snack and a cup of coffee and wait and see what happens. AFAIK, unless an error message is displayed, it should update your running XP to XP SP4.

Once you have gotten this far, then we can look at updating your XP source to include SP4 for future use, but one thing at a time.  :)

Cheers and Regards

SP4 installation went quite well, except I had to abandon backup, it crashed when saving the registry. Installing without backup, I got the msg "failed to install catalog files". Nothing else abnormal. I assume that means I am ready for the next 'hurdle'?

NOTE: Before installing SP4 on a system with many post-SP3 updates installed, follow the steps described here (do not restart your PC after applying these steps, just run the SP4 installer and then reboot):

http://www.rarst.net/software/failed-install-catalog-files/

This will prevent a common error message: "Failed to install catalog files".
Although the SP4 installer takes steps to automatically delete these files, it may require manual intervention in some cases.

(Uh-boy...) If you'd have Turned Auto-Updates off, you wouldn't have had that problem. Roffen, you'd better make not of my prevuis post. ALWAYS leave your Network disconnected for a Clean Install THEN do the above THEN reconnect. (Network being your wire to you ADSL/CABLE/DIALUP Modem). If Wireless, then TURN OFF your Modem/Router temporarily until AutoUpdate is disabled. Basically, that's S.O.P. for technicians.

HTH

Since you can, hopefully easily, recreate your clean XP install, I might suggest the following approach.

1) Collect everything you need including the SP4 EXE, printing out the instructions harkaz referred to here, and whatever you need to create your clean XP install.

2) Completely disconnect from the network as submix8c suggests.

3) Create your clean XP install, boot to it, remember to NOT connect to any network, turn off Auto-Update, and copy the SP4 EXE to where you want it.  Make sure everything seems stable.  You want to be sure the XP installation is completely done and that nothing else is pending.  Reboot a couple of times and wait awhile in between boots just to be safe.  XP might complain that it needs to connect to the network, but ignore that and don't do it and just let us know why XP wanted to connect and if that seemed to create any real issue.  Any connect issue should resolve itself after you install SP4 and connect later.

4) Follow the instructions harkaz referred to, and do NOT restart the computer. (In your case this step might not be required, but it won't hurt.)

5) Install SP4, being patient to let it get all the way through, and then reboot again.

6) Connect to your network and verify proper operation.

7) Report back on success or detail of any errors encountered.

Good luck!

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

Too late, I already tried to follow the instructions.

1. CatRoot2 folder deleted.

2. No tmp*.* files in CatRoot subfolders.

3. Deleted all kb*.cat files in CatRoot subfolders.

4. No C:\Windows.inf folder to be deleted.

5. Deleted all from C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder.

Can I now pull the RJ45 plug, reinstall SP4, and everything should be ok?

I started from scratch again, had to do it anyway to get rid of the searchwide bug that got into my Firefox. With no network connected, got the same crash at backing up registry so I had to click cancel to continue but aside from that, it all went smoothly. Now I better make a complete backup before doing anything else.

Disabled updates and update alerts, it is beginning to look like I'm going to like it!

Would be great if I could make a DVD to install XPSp3 + Sp4 for next time

ETA :

What I miss the most is something to make a proper backup of my running system, a complete no-nonsense backup to store on a different drive, partition, or DVD. REstoring should be flawless and give me back a system identical in every way to the system I had at the time of making  the backup.

I have tried Macrium (free) but when I insert one of the DVD's I thought would be the 'resque' that Macrium had led me to believe, they won't boot and they contains some folders but don't look like they are what I expected.

I think Acronis is the program I should use, I'll have to check the cost, it isn't that I couldn't afford it but how I hate to use money - :puke:

Edited by Roffen