Is there any way to enter standby mode from a batch file?

CamTron

I know that you can use "rundll.exe user.exe,exitwindows" to shut down the computer, "rundll.exe user.exe,exitwindowsexec" to reboot, etc., but I haven't found a way to make the computer enter standby (or sleep mode as it's called in Vista and later) through a batch file. My previous keyboard had a button for this, but since that one died on me, my new keyboard lacks a standby button, and I find it a bit inconvenient to open the start menu, click Shut Down and select Stand by from the drop down menu.

Perhaps i can suggest you this simple "hardware" solution: set the power button of your pc as a standby button.

These are the steps: press right-click on your desktop, then properties -> screen saver -> power -> advanced. Therefore select Standby in "When i press the power button on my computer".

Rundll32.exe Kernel32.dll,SetSystemPowerState
This works in a shortcut to which you can assign a hot key and icon of your choice.

To be fully compatible with Rundll/Rundll32, a 16/32-bit function must have four parameters like WinMain. SetSystemPowerState has only three parameters so after the system comes out of suspend you will see a system error dialog.

WSH scripts can surely be written to simulate pressing the Suspend key, or even to call SetSystemPowerState directly. The code could be written to a temp file by a batch file if you really need batch support. Ask in Programming (C++, Delphi, VB/VBS, CMD/batch, etc.) and someone will probably rise to the challenge.

I just wrote this really simple C++ program, assigned a keyboard shortcut to it, and it does the trick!

#include <windows.h>int WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance, LPSTR lpCmdLine, int nCmdShow){    if(!SetSystemPowerState(TRUE, FALSE))    {        MessageBox(NULL, "Could not enter standby mode.", NULL, MB_ICONERROR | MB_OK);        return 1;    }    return 0;}

And even simpler:

void WinMainCRTStartup (void) {  SetSystemPowerState (!!GetModuleHandle("Suspend.exe\0.................."), TRUE);  ExitProcess (0);}
Suspends to RAM (forced) if named Suspend.exe. To hiberate/suspend-to-disk instead, change the filename.

Extra space reserved for hexing of filename string needed for Suspending to RAM.

Suspend.7z

Edited by jumper

Has anyone tested SetSuspendState() in powrprof.dll?

I have a Win2000 version of the library on my main 98SE system. Unfortunately no guinea pig-machine to test on, at the moment.

There are a few other useful APIs such as IsPwrHibernateAllowed(), IsPwrSuspendAllowed(), IsPwrShutdownAllowed() that could report whether a certain state can be induced or not, as well as the more complex GetPwrCapabilities() that returns a structure full of power-related information.

I assume IsPwrHibernateAllowed() and IsPwrSuspendAllowed() would eliminate the frustration of not being able to set a certain power state.

Has anyone tested SetSuspendState() in powrprof.dll?

I have a Win2000 version of the library on my main 98SE system. Unfortunately no guinea pig-machine to test on, at the moment.

There are a few other useful APIs such as IsPwrHibernateAllowed(), IsPwrSuspendAllowed(), IsPwrShutdownAllowed() that could report whether a certain state can be induced or not, as well as the more complex GetPwrCapabilities() that returns a structure full of power-related information.

I assume IsPwrHibernateAllowed() and IsPwrSuspendAllowed() would eliminate the frustration of not being able to set a certain power state.

I could test it, what version is it?

Well this is a very interesting question.

ProductVersion says 5.00.0910.1900 and ProductName says 'Microsoft® Windows ® 2000 Operating System'.

However, the file timestamp is 1999.04.23, which means it's the original file that shipped with 98SE. And indeed, checking with the CD it is the original file.

I now wonder, how come an official 98SE file delivered in '99 appears as belonging to Windows 2000…

Anyway, I've already performed some limited tests and all above-mentioned APIs except for SetSuspendState() do work correctly. I haven't tried the latter because I don't like my hard drive to be stopped unnecessarily.