security settings prohibit copying or moving files (on win98?)

Nomen

During browsing (not msfn) I noticed my java console started up, but there was no obvious java content on the page/site I was on. I looked at the java logfile and the last entry tells me the date/time that java started (is there somewhere else that tells me the name/location of the java package being run?). I believe I've found the reason (the page renders differently in Opera 12 vs FF2, hence I believe I'm seeing the java content in Opera that I'm not seeing in FF2).

While searching for any new or modified files with the time-stamp that corresponds to java starting, I found these candidates:

windows\Application Data\Avant Profiles\.default\temp\cookies\index.dat

windows\Application Data\Avant Profiles\.default\temp\cache\Content.IE5\index.dat

I tried to open the second index.dat file in wordpad, but was told it was in use. I copied it to another location where I was able to open it. I then tried to copy the first index.dat file, but got this:

"your current security settings prohibit copying or moving files from this zone"

I don't like the idea of not (at least) being able to copy a file that may be in use, especially when running win-98. I tried copying the entire cookies folder, but got the same message. I then tried copying the entire temp directory, and that *I was* able to do, and the cookies directory (and the file index.dat) came with it.

What sort of control structure exists within win-98 that would have prevented me from copying that index.dat file (and how can it be deactivated)? A registry entry somewhere?

You're probably not seeing any java content in Opera as it uses only the new java plugin and to the best of my knowledge no one ever got this to work.

As for your issue with files, it seems to be the normal behavior for the Internet Explorer cache folder which appears to be in an unusual location on your system.

You can check or change its path, as well as cookies and history folders in the registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders and perhaps make it more accessible to windows explorer by lowering the security settings for the appropriate zone in the Internet control panel applet.

Otherwise just use a file manager which does not use the standard shell such as Free Commander to see the full content of those folders and copy stuff out if you want.

Edited by loblo

This is the URL that (while using FF 2.0.0.20) is reliably causing my java console to start:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-02-26/vacancies-abound-these-5-american-ghost-cities

This may or may not be a complete list (as pertains to the URL in question) but these domains are blocked (because of hosts file entries):

d5nxst8fruw4z.cloudfront.net

c.statcounter.com

www.statcounter.com

ads.investingchannel.com

pagead2.googlesyndication.com

platform.twitter.com

grllopa.com

widgets.outbrain.com

secure.quantserve.com

edge.quantserve.com

asset.pagefair.com

So presumably nothing from those domains would be causing this java behavior (but I see that I'll be adding asset.pagefair.net). The following two domains are referenced in the URL, but it could be just as a clickable link:

cartodb-libs.global.ssl.fastly.net

adamkokenakes.cartodb.com

I believe that it is the adamkokenakes material / graphic that I'm seeing in Opera that I'm not seeing in FF2.

So if anyone can tell me what (in that URL) is triggering my java console to start, please do. It's very rare (or quite possibly has never happened) that I've seen such behavior on any zerohedge page before.