If it works, don't fix it?

NoelC

Meanwhile, my Windows 7 x64 Ultimate system, running on Dell PowerEdge file server just sitting quietly in the corner, is getting close to 80 days of uninterrupted uptime, since I decided even longer ago for that system to disallow nefarious meddling by the purveyors of GWX...

And now, for NO apparent reason :w00t::ph34r::

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/03/epic-uptime-achievement-can-you-beat-16-years/

jaclaz

Can't beat that.  Yet.  Let's check back in 2032 and see.

My current server replaces a Vista x64 system that ran for about 5 years straight.  Finally had a power hit that lasted longer than the UPS batteries, and the system was shut down.  Because of bad capacitors it never booted again.  The dust blanket that had accumulated was impressive, which no doubt contributed to the electrolytic capacitors releasing their contents.

On my Win 8.1 system, given that 24 logical processors are clocking up time, the System Idle Process is pushing upwards of 3 years of processor time.  Lo and behold it's long since wrapped its counters around.  I guess we really do need 128 bit processors.  :)

-Noel